Modding Help How to find the Mod Folder

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by didjya, Feb 22, 2022.

Tags:
  1. didjya

didjya Space Hobo

Recently I purchased a copy of Starbound from the Microsoft store, and I noticed a settings button on the bottom of the title screen which leads to a mod selector. So I did some searching around and sure enough I found some mods. However I can't seem to find the folder to extract the mod zips too. Plus I don't know how version updates might affect how mods work. Can anyone help me?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  2. didjya

didjya Space Hobo

Ok I think I found the folder for the mods however I'm not entirely sure, and I could still use some explaining on how mod versions interact with different versions of the game. Or more specifically are mods reverse compatible or forward compatible in any form or way? or are they case specific to game version?

I believe the mods folder
    location might be this C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Mutable\Chucklefish.StarboundWindows10Edition_1.0.3.0_x64__ywkyrypjzhpx8\win

upload_2022-2-21_21-50-27.png
    upload_2022-2-21_21-50-48.png
    upload_2022-2-21_21-51-12.png

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Problem with microsoft store it generally uses %Appdata% for its installation folder.
    If you open the Installation folder you will find the mods folder inside

didjya likes this.
  4. didjya

didjya Space Hobo

Can I ask If you know where the folder would be stored exactly, because I know how to access the app data but it will take a couple hours to search through all the folders. Also I found this folder here but I don't see a mods folder in it

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  5. The | Suit

Since Windows Store handles the installation of its games its hard to guess

But Try My Documents first

Then try
    AppData\Local\Packages\

didjya likes this.
  6. didjya

didjya Space Hobo

C:\Users\bennys\Documents\Starbound

Found this folder in documents
    upload_2022-2-22_17-42-52.png
    upload_2022-2-22_17-45-37.png

7. didjya

didjya Space Hobo

Also I got into the "programfiles\windowsapps" and found this folder mentioned by the game in my original screen shots, however I didn't see any "mods" folder in it, or the "mydocuments\starbound" folders either.

upload_2022-2-22_17-59-48.png

Also got into the AppData\Local\Packages for Starbound too, but I still can't seem to find the mods folder

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  8. didjya

didjya Space Hobo

Does anyone know which of the folders I should create a "mods" folder in? I've already tried making one in C:\Users\bennys\Documents\Starbound
    But no luck.

9. The | Suit

10. didjya

didjya Space Hobo

Alright followed instructions to get the mod folder, and it looks pretty similar to the folder "programfiles\windowsapps\mutable" one I found earlier. However I'm not quite sure how to use this folder for mods though, Can some explain how do I get the mods running? Also i'm running starbound version 1.0.3.0 from the microsoft store.

upload_2022-2-24_21-36-1.png

11. The | Suit

make a new folder inside called mods

Then download a mod and place it inside
    Take for example this mod

https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/refurbished-goods.6138/

It comes as a Zip file, so you will want to unzip it and place the folder inside the mods folder.

In some cases the mod author will package the file - so place the packaged file into the mods folder.