1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How to eat on Starbound - I keep dying from starvation

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Dallastara, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Dallastara

Dallastara Space Hobo

Hi, I am not sure how to make my character eat on Starbound. I've tried left clicking on the mouse, dragging and dropping, and pressing E to interact but all three didn't work. I read that to cook something you need wood and the torch. The article said that after you create the fire, you'll see two open slots and this is where you put the items to be cooked. I keep dying from starvation so I need to figure out how to do this please. Any help will be appreciated.

Tara

2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Well... you cook something by pressing "E" the "campfire" (make sure you put down your "campfire" first). Then there will be a panel showing you all the food that can be cook. While, for eating, you just simply click the LMB while holding the food with your hand, make sure the food is edible. Cooked for are always better.

3. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

To eat something from your inventory, pick it up and left click anywhere outside your inventory.

To cook, press E when a campfire or other cooking station is highlighted and you should be able to drop items into it to be cooked.

Or just play on casual because it's actually a chill experience and you don't miss out on anything fun.

4. sirguylittle

sirguylittle Void-Bound Voyager

There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube if you are stuck that go over the basic mechanics of the game. Sometimes it can help to see someone else doing the things you would like to learn about in a video.

I would suggest this video by Kestrel North as a good starting point:
    Beginner's Guide to People Just Starting Out In Starbound. Version 1.31

I would disagree with just playing on casual. It can help with new players to not have to worry about the hunger mechanic, but there is a lot of fun in that too, from finding plants to grow and starting a garden, learning recipes and cooking. It's also another incentive to go exploring to find new plants, which is what Starbound is really all about.

5. Masiakasaurus

Masiakasaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can grow food on casual, and it's still useful for stat buffs. It's just not required.

Casual is good if for no other reason than that you can teleport from any depth.