1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How to do Peer to Peer Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by tails230, Feb 25, 2015.

1. tails230

tails230 Phantasmal Quasar

Hello. Ever since Starbound has been released, I wanted to play with my friend. But when we try, nothing seems to work.

We cannot use Hamachi because it sends Trojans and we cannot afford a server for just 2 players.

Is it possible to just do Peer to Peer connections, like how Minecraft and Terraria can do it?

Why is the Starbound Multiplayer so complex to just play with a friend?

2. Teh Freek

Teh Freek Void-Bound Voyager

One of you fires up the server, forwarding ports if needed. Both of you connect to the server.

But I'd like to see an option to have the single player client open a TCP/IP connection for others to join, since the server is pretty much just the client without the interface stuff.

3. RToTheAze

RToTheAze Subatomic Cosmonaut

Get a program called Evolve Client, really simple to use, works like a charm. Can also record and stream video without any annoying watermarks for completely free! Also comes with a free voice chat that works surprisingly well!

4. Teh Freek

It's not available for my platform, so it doesn't help me at all.

5. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Tunngle should work too.

6. Aeronaut

Aeronaut Pangalactic Porcupine

Starbound doesn't have a "quick" hosting option like Terraria and Minecraft do. You will need to start the Server program on one of your machines (whoever's hosting) from the launcher or from the game's steam directory before being able to join one another. You will know the server program is finished starting up when you see a line that says something akin to "Shutting down world ________ due to inactivity." (This means that nobody is on the starting planet it has just loaded.)

Once one of you hosts, you should be able to find the IP to join however it is you've found your Terraria/Minecraft ones. If you had to port forward for either of those, you will have to port forward for Starbound as well (port 21025 by default). The host will need to click Multiplayer and join the same IP or 127.0.0.1 (localhost, his/her own computer's address).

The only extra step involved in playing Starbound together compared to Terraria or Minecraft as far as I'm aware is booting that server program on one of your machines first. It's definitely not as convenient (and it runs stupid slow on my machine), but it works effectively the same way.

Summary:
    1. Pick who's hosting. Have them start the server program from the launcher.
    2. Wait for the server program to finish starting up.
    3. Have both players start the game and join the correct IP from "Multiplayer".

7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Just so you guys know - if you guys are going to offer suggestions of 3rd party tools- its ideal you link to the location of your said suggestion.
    So they don't get lost and go to the wrong site.

Teh Freek likes this.
  8. Teh Freek

Nope, that one doesn't work for me either.

9. tails230

tails230 Phantasmal Quasar

We don't want to use any program.
    The game shouldn't need a program to help itself get Multiplayer.

I've done what you've said Aeronauts, however, I cannot find the IP address anywhere on it. I tried to do IP config what my IP is, that didn't work. I used Whats my IP on Google. That didn't work.
    Where the hell is the IP Address for my Starbound server. This doesn't make any sense!

10. Oberic

Oberic Spaceman Spiff

go into cmd, and type ipconfig

your ip should be in the ipv4 there.

if you're using a wireless network, you will need to go into the router settings and allow starbound through (not sure on the details of how to do that).