HOW TO: Create a Crafting Station + create Custom Recipes

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Dragonchampion, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Ghoul159

Ghoul159 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

you can i'll try/show it with my next tutorial...

2. Dragonchampion

Dragonchampion Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yes. It shouldn't be that different from a melee weapon.

3. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

I actually had to fiddle around quite a bit for my custom gun to be actually craftable without issues. In the end, I just edited the bubble gun and assigned the level property myself to set it's damage (roughly) and gave it a different projectile. This was the only way I've found so far to actually make a gun that doesn't change in a 'Perfectly Generic Item' ingame.

If you want to take a look at it, my Cheat Equipment mod has the gun in it, and you should fairly easily be able to change that file yourself.

4. Ghoul159

i completed my tutorial for that :) :
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/mod-tutorial-3-how-to-make-your-own-gun.42937/

5. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

6. Ghoul159

yea i know i have to update my tutorial then.. :(

7. pacN

pacN Industrial Terraformer

But this didn't tell us how to make a custom item. In this tutorial you modified an already existing item.
    How would we do if we wanted to make this as a custom item?

8. aMannus

aMannus Space Kumquat

You're not modifying an existing item, you're simply copying the item over to use it as a template. There's no difference between copying an item over and changing all the properties to your needs and writing the file all by yourself. This tutorial still shows how to introduce custom items.

Ghoul159 likes this.
  9. Ghoul159

if you meant my tutorials:
    i explain every parameter of the existing items that you know what an tool/crafting table/weapon needs to be complete
    (with these infos you are able to make a completly custom item/object)

you can't remember the complete configs of every item. you should go the same path like in my tutorial take an existing item look how the formating and parameters look like
    and then do your own thing...

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  10. mo'guts

mo'guts Big Damn Hero

thanks, I was hoping something like this would pop up! very helpful. :coffee:

11. Tomohawkmissile2

Tomohawkmissile2 Void-Bound Voyager

I copy-pasted the player.config file to allow for my crafting stand to be made, but it doesnt show up when I load it via the mod-loading system starbound has setup. Do I HAVE to edit the one in starbound/assests? My current edited player.config is in my mod's starbound/mods/base folder, and I have my win32/bootstrap updated to reflect the change.

12. tekkenshu7

tekkenshu7 Intergalactic Tourist

This is a very helpful post, kudos to your great help!
    I have grown fond of modding stuff since Fallout 3.

Oh, btw, anyone knows what can be used to create/modify those icons and in-game graphics for the modded items? (like if using photoshop, how to achieve those 16-bit look)
    Thanks! :D

13. Marrond

Marrond Space Hobo

edit:
    Nevermind it started to working after copying recipe and changeing it again. Now I've created new material made out of wooden planks - wooden sticks (who would suppose x) ) which are used to craft tents along with fabric. Thanks for this thread, greately appreciated!

----

You have to draw them by hand - on the good side they're most of the time pretty small. For icons in UI 24x24px should be enough as for object placed in game... well depends on the object size ;)

As for software... rly anything is suitable - although GIMP should be more than enough (mostly to create pixel art out of actual drawings for pure Pixel art even MS Paint is ok if you want to draw pixel by pixel which isn't something terrifying with pictures this tiny resolution). Here are some nice tutorials to get into it.

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/pixel-art-tutorials/

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    tekkenshu7 likes this.
  14. oblivion5683

oblivion5683 Big Damn Hero

niiiiiiice. imma use this to make the soda machine in the human dungeon actually make sodas.

15. tekkenshu7

tekkenshu7 Intergalactic Tourist

Thanks for this tip! Will probably go into modding once Starbound enters a later stage of the Beta but am already starting to tinker with it.

16. Pinchy

Pinchy Subatomic Cosmonaut

17. kirbydunker85

kirbydunker85 Poptop Tamer

Step 8 code should end up something like this according to your instructions

Code:
    {
      "input" : [
        { "item" : "copperore", "count" : 2 }
      ],
      "output" : {
        "item" : "fence",
        "count" : 1
      },
      "groups" : [ "alchemytable", "materials", "all" ]
    }
    Wouldn't you have to change the 'outpute item' to' purecopperore' ? Following your instructions, so far I can make the Alchemy Table, however when I use it, no recipie is showing up.

18. michealv

michealv Industrial Terraformer

I've made a test chest, that increases the slots from 16 to 32 as a starting point.

So I have the mod and its required files in the Starbound/Mods/MediumChest/Objects/Generic.

I've made sure the recipe is located in Starbond\Assets\Recipies/Starter/Plain

100% checked that everythings named correctly.

What happens though, is that the recipe only shows in game when i edit it into the 'player.config'.

Setting bootstrip.config and adding the mod folder doesn't work for me.

I.e,

{
    "assetSources" : [
    "../assets",
    "../mods/MediumChest"
    ],
    "modSource" : "../mods",
    "storageDirectory" : ".."
    }

19. Pinchy

Pinchy Subatomic Cosmonaut

They updated the system for mod implementation:
    They updated the system for mod implementation: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/making-mod-installation-easier.52349/

20. Otactu

Otactu Tentacle Wrangler

I succeed to made a custom recipe with your great tuto ! :)

But i'm trying to make an animated one.

But, i'm stuck for 3 hours ... :/

Can you help me ?
    succeed