Modding Help How to clone a vanilla item?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by BlueLeafeon, Aug 5, 2016.

1. BlueLeafeon

BlueLeafeon Cosmic Narwhal

I've looked at the unofficial modding ebook, and scanned the first few pages of this forum, but haven't been able to find a specific tutorial on cloning vanilla weapons for 1.0+. I don't want to edit the default one--just make a clone of it for customization purposes.

Specifically, I want to make a clone of the Aegisalt Bow.

Can someone help shed some light on how to do this?

2. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

Technically, you can't make a true clone. You will have to change the name of the weapon, otherwise you'll just be doing a 'dirty-edit' and overwriting the vanilla. But essentially you'll find the weapons code in the assets and copy it to your mod folder and change the name of it to whatever you want and do whatever customization it is that you want.

3. BlueLeafeon

Well, I know that much. You can't have two items with the same name. The game will just get confused.

So I unpacked my assets, copied the entire aegisaltbow folder and pasted it into my mods folder. After that I rename all the files (and the folder) to something like placeholderbow...and then edit the .activeitem file so that its links go to the newly renamed image files etc. What do I need to do then? Obviously I need to make a modinfo file, but is there anything I need to patch to make the bow show up?

4. Nirrudn

Nirrudn Void-Bound Voyager

That depends on how you want to obtain the bow. I'm assuming a crafting recipe similar to the original Aegisalt Bow.

In which case you need to copy over '\recipes\anvil3\weapons\accelerator\aegisaltbow.recipe' and change the appropriate fields to reference your new bow. Then you add that recipe to the player by creating a player.config.patch file in the root of your mod folder.

5. Naddox

Naddox Cosmic Narwhal

modinfo files are no longer used. They were replaced with metadata files in the full release of starbound.

And do what @Nirrudn said. If you don't know how to do that or how to make a metadata file, check out my tutorial series.

6. BlueLeafeon

I'll definitely go check those out.

In the meantime, I can't seem to figure out how the game loads the arrow? I copied the "laserarrowlaunch.png" but it doesn't actually seem to do anything. I'm trying to make the arrows blue instead of purple. I've been peeking into various files related to bows and simply cannot find WHAT loads the images for the arrows. I mean, I've found "projectile type" but that doesn't seem to call for any images. Would any of you know?

7. Nirrudn

Nirrudn Void-Bound Voyager

It's determined by the projectileType, which loads a .projectile file, which has an 'image' property for the projectile image. The default Aegisault Bow looks to fire an 'energyarrow' projectile, which is located in "\projectiles\guns\arrows\energyarrow" if you want to copy it. (yes, under 'guns' for some reason)

8. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You don't even need that. The game loads anything and everything in the mods folder unless it has a _ in front of it's name

9. BlueLeafeon

I would have never thought to look under guns for arrows... No wonder I couldn't find it. Thanks! :D

Yeah, I noticed when I made a modinfo file. It's still loading even though I haven't added the info file yet. It's still something you want to do for completion's sake, but it's probably something I'll add at the end after I'm done with everything else.

10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Yeah, but for testing small things, I like to start a new folder and do everything in there to keep it contained, and not needing that file means one less thing to set up, so it is nice.