1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How many planets (and players) will servers be able to run simultaneously?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by ChickenBandit, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChickenBandit

ChickenBandit Star Wrangler

I realize that the answer to this will depend in part on the specs of any given server, but I was wondering if there was any sort of upper limit to both the number of planets that people can be visiting at any given time, and also if there will be a limit to how many people can join a server simultaneously.

2. Philip726

Philip726 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Why would there be? If the server can handle like 100 Players... fine

3. ChickenBandit

ChickenBandit Star Wrangler

Imagine you have 255 people on a server (the max that Terraria dedicated servers allowed, Starbound may have more) and imagine each individual player decides to go to a different planet. Could the server support 255 worlds working simultaneously? That's why I'm asking.

4. Waspor

Waspor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm pretty sure you share a ship, at least that's what I thought I heard, and if that's the case then you don't have to worry about loading multiple planets....

5. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

The answer would depend on the specs of the given server.
    I don't think there'd be a planet limit, and I think that the player limit would be set by the host.

6. ArcaneMusic

ArcaneMusic Big Damn Hero

An interesting thought. Is this going to be anything like minecraft's chunk system?

7. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

I hope it's not, as that's horribly inefficient. They did say that this game can run easy on low specs, so I would expect it to be fast on the server side too.

8. Offline

Offline Astral Cartographer

That's an interesting idea, but I think the game would go through a loading stage when changing planets. So saying that, I think servers would be hosted on ONE planet. Some will be huge, so that's not too bad. It's just like Terraria.
    UNLESS:
    The person's character who's hosting is KNOWN by the server, and if he decides to change planets, then everyone will be taken there. That could be abrupt, though, as a player could be doing something in the planet they're at and get taken away.

That's my speculation, I really can't say much more as not much more is known.

9. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't want this to be like Terraria, where if you join a server later on in the game dev. your screwed and can't build anything. I hope that the planet system will help improve this system! Although issues of grieving (if possible :speechless:) :D
    ~ Thank You!
    John Devince

10. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

I just hope they put in some griefer protection.

11. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

I really hope servers can run well with multiple planets up. If everyone is forced to stay on the same planet, then things like our clan sub-groups/jobs, where people want to do different things, will be pretty pointless. In servers with a lot of players, some of them will be left out and not able to do anything due to everyone else already doing it, or they may want to do something else. Imagine a server of 20 people with 4 different groups that want to go to different planets, it could cause arguments and waste time if everyone has to be on one planet and decide which group's planet to go to first, and then the people that aren't of that group may have nothing they want to do there and be bored.

It would be a cool if they made it so at first, everyone has to stay on the same planet. Then you could have the ability to get materials to build another dropship, that allows a certain ammount of players to go to a different planet. Then you can build more dropships and upgrade them to allow more people to go to more planets.

12. HellKnightX

HellKnightX Void-Bound Voyager

It will be interesting to see how they handle multiple players on different planets, if that's even allowed. Terraria did use a chunk system, not unlike Minecraft, and the developers have already stated that the engine would allow worlds to be feasibly infinite in size. This would require the server to procedurally generate new chunks as users explore more of a planet. Once generated, the server will have to permanently retain this chunk data in a world file and load them into RAM as needed. Now imagine that you have 10 users on 10 different planets, each modifying a different world at the same time.

I'm assuming Starbound will use a heavily modified version of the Terraria engine, so I imagine it won't be terribly demanding on a medium or high-end server. But my concern really arises from the idea that as new planets and chunks are generated, old ones aren't likely to be purged. I don't have any reason to believe a world will be a massive file (like some Minecraft worlds), but if you generate enough of them it could start to become a storage problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.