How Does Starbound Compare? What Terraria Fans Should Know

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by LadyAijou, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. friendswhogetexcited

friendswhogetexcited Industrial Terraformer

Thank you so much LadyAijou this is very helpful! :up:

2. DarkDXZ

DarkDXZ Phantasmal Quasar

Internet is a strange place...
    It is all one big lie.

But you...
    You didn't lie. You are certainly right!
    The debate is over. We have the genre set in stone.
    Forever.

3. Rhylok

Rhylok Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks for the compilation :D

4. The7thLegion

The7thLegion Void-Bound Voyager

Congratulations on your mention in the pixel weekly. Without that I would of missed this thread.

Well done in your comparisons and differences you have mentioned. Hopefully this will inspire people to view Starbound as unique game that offers players many unique experiences.

Can't wait!!

5. LadyAijou

LadyAijou Phantasmal Quasar

That is EXACTLY my reason for this thread. Starbound is going to be incredible, and will most definitely stand alone as a completely unique experience. I hope that people can shed the need for labels and comparisons and just enjoy it!

6. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

Terraria will always have a spot in my heart. I'll still play it, but I'll also play starbound. Two amazing games, why not play both?

7. LadyAijou

Congrats, you truly ARE amazing, for realizing that playing one game does not mean that you have to quit others! Starbound doesn't have to BE Terraria, and it doesn't have to REPLACE it, its just an amazing new game for us to spend hundreds of hours on <3

8. Wayne

Wayne Void-Bound Voyager

You did a great job Lady Aijou!!
    I really appreciate this ;)
    Also, what Rho said, as shown in your signature, is awesome!!! :D

9. Disaster

Disaster Orbital Explorer

10. Halloween_King

Halloween_King Subatomic Cosmonaut

Even though i find my self not asking these questions, it was pretty entertaining to read.

11. BrutorDragon

BrutorDragon Tiy's Beard

I think in a lot of ways Starbound is better than Terraria. Especially the fact that it will probably be around longer. Obviously if someone picks up development on it Id say they are equal!

12. thirteenthirtyseven

thirteenthirtyseven Void-Bound Voyager

13. LadyAijou

Your ignorance is astounding, I'm afraid. Red is not a member of Chucklefish, nor is he working with Starbound. His opinion on Tiy's game is completely irrelevant. Tiy is NOT working on a sequel to Terraria, he is working on a completely new game. They are two completely different games, in two completely different coding languages. There is no resemblance between the two save 2D graphics, and the elements of building and crafting. You can MISINTERPRET everything Red said all you wish, but you're making a connection that does not exist. This is not Re-Logic, and your "proof" is utter nonsense.

14. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

Also, just because there is mining, building and all that fancy stuff in both games, doesn't mean it is similar.

15. Arcadiax

Arcadiax Guest

1) Quote your sources. You can't just say "Red said it will be the successor", you need to link people to that statement, from red.

2) The gameplay IS NOT the same, granted the mining and building etc are similar, but it stops there, combat, exploration, storyline and everything is MUCH different.

3)You say "He (meaning Red) said Terraria was "practice" of his game developing skills. " This means nothing, red is moving on to another project, not starbound, this statement is irrelevant.

4) Tiy has said on many occasions that this is his dream game, there is a high probability he had concepts for the game wayyy before terraria.

5)"What I'm saying is that Terraria has fallen, and will be succeded by Starbound. Like only AFTER Red called it quits on Terraria (one last bug fix) that Tiy started Starbound. " Starbound development started around october of last year, this accusation is loosely based on the fact that a lot of people only discovered starbound because red linked it in his big goodbye speech.

6) For the safety of the internet, please gather correct facts before you argue a point in future.

Lawyered.

Casimir likes this.
  16. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Former Staff

This is obviously not a terraria sequel of any kind. The game shares very little in common, and Red is in no way involved. Saying that starbound is a terraria sequel, be it directly or indirectly, is like saying zelda is a sequel to mario because at least one of the personnel were involved.

Lets stop beating this very dead horse. And let's stop getting so enraged because people say such things. If your expecting a sequel you will be dissapointed, simple enough.

17. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

Hey, I have a question.
    Q: Will Starbound have something better to collect then just statues?
    lol the statues are mostly dead weight

18. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

You can collect pretty much anything you want as long as it can be made/found in quantities. But in terms of little pointless or cool things that make people want to collect them, I don't think we know much yet.

19. LadyAijou

Tiy has told us that collecting will be a HUGE part of the game. We can collect pets, NPC's, trees, plants. items, weapons, armor. PLENTY of choices there, or just do what I plan to, hoard it ALL! =D

Voyager likes this.
  20. thirteenthirtyseven

thirteenthirtyseven Void-Bound Voyager

First of all, just saying that the gameplay elements are same. Fight mobs for drops, go left or right to explore and the ability to set to follow a set of per-determined goals.
    Secondly, memorizing code is extremely difficult, and needs to be practiced often.
    True that I left out the fact that he has ideas for a future game.
    And as to your third point, Red said and I quote
    Also, there could be the fact that he had the idea mid-way through the development of Terraria, and not a long held dream from further beyond.

And lastly, anyone can argue with and without facts, like the debate of if God is real or not. I see no proof, therefore he is fake, correct? Ask a church official and he'll hesitate, thinking of the correct words to show proof.

Also, I'm cool with the fact that Starbound is better than Terraria in some aspects and will play it ,probably catch something and form a monster army, but not cool with how people hate on a game, and that they don't know how hard it is to do so. Actionscript is a watered-down version of common coding languages, and some flash games have near perfect game mechanics (movement, interactivity, etc) XNA is hella hard, and people like to hate on them, and their players.
    Just like how people hate on Runescape for looking shitty, they don't go into how hard it is to make a game like that possible, and some games and game devs never get their game out into public eyes because they can't afford to do so (not money but in people power).

Oh, and there's your "facts". BTW some sequels to games are made during development of the first, but not made until the first does well. And how else do you explain that Terraria fans will have a better understanding of how the game will work as compared to a fresh player?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.