Modding Discussion how does one activate mods in starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SimplisticWolf, Mar 27, 2016.

1. SimplisticWolf

SimplisticWolf Orbital Explorer

me and my cousin love playing this game but we are having trouble. we both found out you can add mods but when we play they don't show up and we don't know how to activate them. we need help and if you can tell us how to do this we will be very thankful.

thanks and good luck
    simplisticwolf and optimumdread

2. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

Just drag the mod folder (that contains a .modinfo file), or the modpak file, into ../Starbound/giraffe_storage/mods.
    Most mods are probably packed in .zip files, so you'll have to unpack them first.

Example paths for installed mods:
    Code:
    "D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/giraffe_storage/mods/MyAwesomeMod.modpak"
    "D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/giraffe_storage/mods/MyAwesomeMod/pak.modinfo"
    For the latter, it's important that you do not create extra folders or copy the files from the main folder directly into /mods. The below examples are wrong:
    Code:
    "D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/giraffe_storage/mods/pak.modinfo"
    "D:/Steam/steamapps/common/Starbound/giraffe_storage/mods/AdventureMods/MyAwesomeMod/pak.modinfo"
    You can check if a mod is loaded on the main menu; it should show up as an asset source in the bottom right corner.

3. SimplisticWolf

thank you very much me and my cousin really appreciatiate the help errors my cousin tried it but I guess he did something wrong

4. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Relten and Errors4l like this.
  5. SimplisticWolf

thx we got it to work now but the next thing were doing is trying to connet to servers butt still thx
    \

6. BreakingForce

BreakingForce Big Damn Hero

yeah. my impression is that, in general, if you're playing mp on a server, the server will also have to have most mods installed for them to work. Now, come 1.0, starbound will have "Drop in/Drop out of a friends ‘singleplayer’ game, through steam invites." as mentioned in this blog post http://playstarbound.com/final-approach-to-1-0/ . I'm not sure what affect mods will have on this, at this point. you may just both have to have identical mods installed, or maybe the visitor doesn't have to have any mods. i dunno.

7. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

This. I was on the modding IRC a while ago and was told automatically downloading mods from the server is on CF's list of things they'd like to get done some day. It's (probably) not going to be implemented in 1.0.