Modding Help How do i make my own custom animated particle effect?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by spookysalmon, Oct 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. spookysalmon

spookysalmon Void-Bound Voyager

i dont understand how if anyone can make one for me or help me make one i would be greatful

2. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

You need the .PNG image of the particle, a .frames file if that particle effect will have any variations to it, a .animation file which describes the particle spawn rate/lifetime of spawned particles, and a script or object file using it. If you describe what you are doing a little more you can get better advice than this, for instance we can probably point you to an existing animation file that would make a good base.

3. spookysalmon

spookysalmon Void-Bound Voyager

ok well i want to make a animation for remitech its a custom blink mod an i want to make a animation that would work for my character like a crimson/black smoke (i hope that clarifies enough)

4. The Avelon

The Avelon Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah! Cool! Okay, so what I would do is make a copy of every blinkdash file and rename the files to spookblink.* (* Being whatever filetype each file already was), then open up spookblink.png and use the existing art as a template so it is easy to see where everything should go.

The .tech and .lua files then just need to be edited to point to the new file names and the blinkdash tech will work the same way the old one did with your new art, and it won't be the same tech in case you want to change how it works.

Your other option if you want to keep it vanilla friendly is to just change the art of blinkdash itself - this is easier and multiplayer friendly but does mean that everyone will use your art and only those of you who have it installed will see that art. To do that, just make a new blinkdash PNG file and drop it into mods/YourMod/tech/dash