Modding Help How do I give my race mod custom skin colors? + A horn option?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by sassykatt777, Sep 25, 2016.

1. sassykatt777

sassykatt777 Big Damn Hero

In the species file, there's body color, undy color, and hair color, I want to change my race's skin/fur color to more pastel shades, how do I safely alter it?

The race also has horns, so is there a way to change the humans underwear option and make it for different colored horns?

Also, is it safe to delete some of the races hairstyles? I'm on the 44th female hair sprite and I really don't want to do any more

I'm using DrPvtSkittles race template mod And I know almost nothing about coding,

2. Antyrus

Antyrus Pangalactic Porcupine

under "bodyColor" there will be several lines that look like this:
    Code:
    { "ffe2c5" : "ab8c77", "ffc181" : "86644a", "d39c6c" : "684431", "c7815b" : "40271d" },
    This line has four pairings, and each pairing has the image color and the color you're replacing it with, like so:
    Code:
    "base" : "replacement", 
    You need to find the hex values of your chosen colors and swap the values in the replacement field for the value that you want. To find hex values, you can either google Hex Color Palette or find them with certain image editing programs.
    -As a general rule, when dealing with palettes like this, shades are arranged from lightest to darkest.
    -Each line is a different color palette.

Easily. Take the underwear colors from the base human sprite and color the horns of your custom sprite with it.

Yes. However, you need to go into the .species file and delete some things. Scroll down to "genders" and the go to the "hair" section. It should look similar to this:
    Code:
    "hair" : [ "fem1", "fem2", "fem3", "fem4", "fem5", "fem6" }
    If I wanted to remove hairs 4, 5, and 6, I would simply remove them as so:
    Code:
    "hair" : [ "fem1", "fem2", "fem3" ] 
    Note the commas. Commas are very important and will cause a startup crash if you aren't careful.

If you aren't confident about the edits you're making, make a backup of your .species file before you change it.

karcea likes this.
  3. sassykatt777

sassykatt777 Big Damn Hero

Thank you so much!

4. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

This post is 3 years old. Should have just made a new one.
    With that being said, if you can post your files I will take a look at them