1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I find my way back to my starting planet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by squirbel, Jan 2, 2014.

1. squirbel

squirbel Intergalactic Tourist

I thought that the "go home" function would take me there, but it seems I had to know to set it. Frustrating, because I didn't. Is there any way to know which coordinates I've been to?

I really need to get home because I left important mats there. :(

-signed

Homeless and adrift

I'm gonna quit if I can't get back.

2. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

There is a file in the game that logs wherever you've been. I don't remember what it was, but there is hope yet!

squirbel likes this.
  3. ReverendBonobo

ReverendBonobo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Right now, no. It's a feature that will most likely be added in the future, but in the current beta build, you're hosed.

4. BitHorizon

BitHorizon Ketchup Robot

Like I said, thereis a file that logs where you have been. There is a way if you're willing to go hunt for that file.

Serenity and ReverendBonobo like this.
  5. ReverendBonobo

ReverendBonobo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Thanks. I stand corrected.

6. Johnno

Johnno Space Spelunker

The starmap has a dotted line to show the last jumps you've made, however I haven't really paid attention to it nor tested it, so I'm not sure on the persistence or limitations of it. See if it's there and you could try tracing it back and jump to the earliest location.

Otherwise, the locations you've visited are in your /Starbound/universe folder. If you haven't been back to your starting location after visiting other places you can simply sort the files by date/timestamp, the earliest one would be your home planet.

Or, depending on how many places you've visited you could write down /screenshot their coordinates and start searching, if you remember anything about your home system/planet you could just check coordinates before making the actual jump(s). From what I can tell worlds are listed by sector_X coord_Y coord_extra info.

Meaning alpha_555_-444_333_2.world is

Alpha sector
    X: 555
    Y: -444

I can't promise that that's all 100% accurate, but seems to make sense from what I can tell anyway.

squirbel likes this.
  7. squirbel

Most useful! I will search!

8. squirbel

alpha_-72005402_-99948583_-14692972_2_3.world

so alpha 720,999,146 ?

9. squirbel

Oh the universe doesn't have three dimensions. 720,999, right?

10. PHaeTH

PHaeTH Space Spelunker

don't forget the negatives, but yeah essentially.
    If you order the files chronologically in the universe folder you should be able to find your first planet by the date it was last altered or when it was created.

11. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

That would be coordinates:
    -72005402, -99948583

The third number must have some relation to which planet in the system. Only the first two are the coordinates you enter.

12. huntgod

huntgod Orbital Explorer

Yup the universe file has al the planets there...sort by date and there ya go.

13. squirbel

k next problem. Those coordinates, minus the third get me to the screen my planet is supposedly on, but how do i find mine? I've entered each planet on the screen, refreshing the coordinates when I exit each one cos it messes up.

argh.

14. PHaeTH

PHaeTH Space Spelunker

I'm guessing that your planet will be the second orbiting the star and the moon named c in the closest planet view. you can also zoom out by right clicking.
    Give me a few minutes and I'll test out my guess.

Edit : I was wrong

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  15. squirbel

No, I'm not facing planets, I'm facing a screen full of stars, or points.

16. Johnno

Johnno Space Spelunker

The system/star closest to the middle of your starmap would be the one you're after. When you put in coordinates the screen tries to center on those coordinates.

17. squirbel

Thanks for your help by the way, much appreciated!

18. squirbel

Problem is the center is completely blank.

[​IMG]

19. Betrael

Betrael Poptop Tamer

You shouldn't worry too much about materials from the starting planet, probably spending more value in fuel finding it than you would actually get from being there.

20. Arylin

Arylin Subatomic Cosmonaut

To quote Tanek, the coordinates are -72005402, -99948583. I don't see the negative symbols, so you're looking at the wrong section of space.