Modding Help How can we change our character's name?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Nos37, Aug 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nos37

Nos37 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have located the .player files under Starbound > Storage > Player. I sorted by Date modified and found the correct file for the character I want to rename. I opened it in Notepad and used Search to check for the current name of my character and found many instances of it. I then used Replace to swap out the current name for the new name and saved the file (yes, I made a backup first). I launched Starbound and neither the character under the new name nor the old one showed up on the list of characters I have created.

I checked the shipworld file, metadata file, statistics file; I went into the Universe folder and checked the DAT file and the most recent ClientContext file... none of them showed results when searching for instances of my character's old name (except for the starbound.log file, obviously). I did not replace the names in the player bak files (backup file).

Did I miss something? I want to change my character's name without having to remake a new character from scratch, have to progress through the story again, lose my crew, my ship upgrades (including fuel capacity and efficiency), etc.

Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

I still have the very same question, where exactly is the ingame name of the character in those files?

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Use a save editor.

4. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

that doesn't works, all it does is replacing 42x the name yet the character doesn't appears in character list, so there is more than jut those 42 locations of the character name that matter.

5. lazarus78

I don't think you know what a save editor is...

6. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

lazarus78 likes this.
  7. lazarus78

It is mostly broken, but the name changing works just fine.

Kashmir likes this.
  8. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

well, renamign with this one works, but dunno the site throws some warnings and i am not sure if this might corrupt the playerfile to a degree where it may not instantly break but at specific conditions.
    It would just be nice to know exactly where the nme is stored and how it relates to the file to manually edit only those parts. But I guess I have to try it and see if it may break one day.

Edit: yes it loosk like it breaks a few color settings, and maybe more, so unfortunately not such a greta idea to use.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  9. lazarus78

10. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

11. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

12. lazarus78

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    LilyV3 and bk3k like this.
  13. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

ok, thx a lot, that last links version did work.

14. RoyalRooster

RoyalRooster Aquatic Astronaut

None of these links work anymore

15. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

and for good reason. this is over 2 years old and 1: almost all save editors from that time no longer work and 2: very few of those have updated since then. if you want to mod your character, ur best chance is with a hex editor, unless u can find a save editor for the latest starbound