Modding Help How am I to create a custom creature pet? (Please help)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Kid Ink, Sep 22, 2017.

?

If you COULD specify details about the harpy chick, what would you choose?

1. Pick the hair/stylize it! It won't be very large but it can be cute.

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Hair color is super important! It shouldn't have to match the feathers!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. I don't want my birb blue! Let me change her feather colors!

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Skin color! I want skin-toned skin color! Not just a feathery color!

4 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. Could I change the talon color? I mean, it's not a big detail anyways...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Meh, don't really care about any of it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kid Ink

Kid Ink Space Spelunker

I've looked around using Google and haven't found any help for the types of pets that follow you around outside of one's ship, only for those that are strictly inside the ship. I want to create a completely custom pet that can only be used as a pet, not a creature that roams the world(s) naturally.
    Perhaps if it could hatch from an egg it could work? I honestly don't know, nothing's been of any help, and this'd be my first ever mod.

The creature would be a harpy chick. Honestly, it would also be neat if I could find out a way for its details to be customized (hair shape, 'skin' color, and feather color) as well, but I've no clue if that's even possible.

If any experienced modder knows how to manage this stuff, I can easily supply the art assets. I can use Paint Tool SAI to create the invisible-background PNG images, and I've had a few years (nearly 10) working with pixel art, and I'm best at simulating styles, so I should be able to do fine simulating the style of Starbound (though, fair warning, it'd be closer to Cutebound). I'd merely want credit on the Steam Workshop page as the artist.

This is also my first ever post... I didn't know the poll would display above the topic of the post. My bad. v('H')v

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2017
  2. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

You may want to avoid double posts. Please use the edit function for making additions to your previous post. :nuruhappy:

~ Iris ~

3. Kid Ink

Kid Ink Space Spelunker

Oh, thank you for that. It didn't cross my busy mind. ^^;

4. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

Maybe you can make some kind of already "filled" capture ball that has your pet in it? I assume you are wanting it to follow and battle. So might just have to make a custom monster, then a capture ball with the monster already in it.

5. Kid Ink

Kid Ink Space Spelunker

That was one idea I had in mind. However, could said custom monster be made without any chance of appearing in the worlds? Also, could the capture balls be sold as filled?
    I really don't know these things...

Adding to what I think could be done (though I've no experience in this so please tell me if it's not doable):

I'm thinking that it'd make sense for a player to be able to craft a "Harpy Egg Hut" using whatever materials (TBD) in a Tier 2 workbench, and from that one could purchase an egg. The egg could be placed on an "incubation nest" which could be bought from the Harpy Egg Hut or crafted at a Tier 3 workbench, and it could hatch the egg on the spot. You'd then get a randomized harpy chick from it. A capture pod could be used to catch the harpy chick, and then that could be used in a crafting recipe to create a "Harpy Hatchling House" which would let you customize your harpy chick, as well as have it spawn from the house as if an NPC, but it's a follower at all times.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017