1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Hosting a StarBound Server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by IllusiveEnergy, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Azimut

Azimut Master Chief

I'm using jestservers.com All fine, all smooth.

2. nergaard2k

nergaard2k Master Chief

EXCUSE ME but i have hosted a garry's mod server for my community from you and u did nothing than ruin it all you have crappy support crap speed the servers starts laggign after 10 eople are on please dont enter communities like these and try to scam and rip people off ....you dont even do refounds after complaint! if any people host from you they will be unsatisfied and angry!

Goate likes this.
  3. helio

helio Orbital Explorer

I checked performance recently, since you mentioned this. I checked this on my 512mb ram, 1 core server and actually I am seeing very poor performance also. With no users on the server, it uses 52% of the memory. With 2 users logged on, after a bit it will hit full CPU and kick both players and uses around 90% memory. I'm surprised you're not able to handle more than 2 players, though.

4. LowLatencyServers

LowLatencyServers Void-Bound Voyager

Around 15 players is 2 3.4Ghz cores 100% on and off as it is multi-core capable. RAM usage around 3GB average.
    Not being able to easily bind to a single ip is a bit of a pain but I'm sure they'll fix that soon so other hosts can join in more easily.
    If it doesn't get enough RAM, the world starts to progressively lag.

VPS option is great for low cost, or one of the providers renting pre-setup servers.

5. d3dsh33p

d3dsh33p Space Hobo

Ive been using Jestservers on and off for over 5 years.

They currently host my starbound server, soon to be a terraria server since we've been back into it. I couldnt ask for a more knowledgeable host in any game they offer.

www.jestservers.com

6. kertain

kertain Void-Bound Voyager

I have been using jestservers.com as well.
    So far very stable and fast...have had 0 issues.

They use TCadmin which makes it very very easy to stop/start servers, modify the config file and upload your own universe saves.
    In addition they seem to have a nice option of geographical selection..so I can find a server nearby.

I also use them for 7 days to die and my experience with that hosting has been exemplary as well.

my 2c

7. NitrousNetworks

NitrousNetworks Intergalactic Tourist

I'm sorry you feel this way, we always try our hardest to please customers. Please email me at harry@nitrous-networks.co.uk if you feel you were treated unfairly.

8. Kane

Kane Subatomic Cosmonaut

Did I just see the worst adds here possible? Unlimited ram? Unlimited players? It's pretty damn amateurish. I might buy one from each and setup a server to sink them all by their ToS and what their selling then sue their parents since I assume most them not even adults :p

Sorry but I hate people who oversell and only there for money and dooming you the customers.

I run a dedicated server with 8 cores 32 gigs ram and I can tell you that even 50 players on a single server can sink most that hardware down into the ground. Oh that is with a Haswell Cpu.

helio likes this.
  9. PPP_Oliver

PPP_Oliver Yeah, You!

Hello,
    As far as I know the hosting company I work for PlugPayPlay (http://www.ens-ltd.com/billing/link.php?id=2) is one of the only server hosters with stock and which have tested the servers to make sure they work, and as a special Starbound launch we are giving a 10% discount code OLIVER10OFF.
    We have brilliant support system and a very high percentage of uptime.
    Our prices:
    £2.00 staring fee, plus £0.40 per slot (minimum 8 slots) with this you also get unlimited RAM and free webhosting and mumble servers, so for the same price as NitrousNetwork you would get a 20 slot server.
    Thanks for reading,
    - Oliver Bone

10. Dirca

Dirca Void-Bound Voyager

I've used JestServers for some time. First a garry's mod server, then terraria and now starbound. I can't recommend it enough. The servers are installed for you, all you have to do is edit the config file if you want to change something. Patching is done in 1 click and is not fully automated (so you can stick to an older version for a while longer if you want to), support is pretty good, prices are fair and there are several locations available.

http://jestservers.com

11. fibreservers.com

fibreservers.com Intergalactic Tourist

Hay, we started a new VPS range, i think its great pricing and we can allicate more resources any time without closing your server down.

We could also set the starbound server up for you as well its a 2 min job

http://www.fibreservers.com/

12. NitrousNetworks

Great! :)

13. NitrousNetworks

Pop a ticket in, we are here 24/7 to answer your questions :)

14. NitrousNetworks

Give our service a whirl, you might be surprised.

15. on3fifth

on3fifth Space Spelunker

I have my Starbound server through jestservers.com no issues what so ever. Been enjoying lag free with friends for some since day 3 of launch of SB. Check them out. Also some dang good customer service the response time is around 30 mins maybe less. Can't say good enough things about them! Oh tell em on3fifth sent ya ;)

16. misternix

misternix Space Spelunker

17. Goate

Goate Yeah, You!

Hey, this is just a heads up for anyone thinking of using Nitrous-Networks. They don't allow ANY plug-ins installation for their starbound server. No Wrappers, No server text commands. I can't ban people from my server because Nitrous-Networks won't let me install wrappers like Starrybound. The control you get on a server from Nitrous-Networks is almost minimal. You can't even change the MOTD after you've created your server.

Quite frankly I'm unsatisfied with my service from them. I asked a question via the livechat and the guy knew nothing about servers. He kept responding with question marks. Hardly professional. I have NO FREEDOM to make my server unique. It's a bogstandard vanilla grief-fest. They also run the servers on linux64, but block SSH connections.

If Nitrous don't have wrapper support that lets me add server commands by the end of the month, I'm taking my business elsewhere. I'm just glad that I can inform other people about Nitrous restricting admins to not being able to make a good server and that I only bought their lowest slot server as a test.

TL;DR - Don't go with Nitrous Networks if you want to have a good/unique server with text commands/wrapper. If you want a shitty vanilla server, these guys are the guys you want.

EDIT: oh and also, I made a support ticket and they put my ticket on hold, so I replied. My reply was then also put on hold.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  18. It is not really relevant review because they do nothing much than providing MANAGED hosting as for managed web hosting where your actions are limited to upload html/php files , and a few basic procedures like that

Now in your case if you need ASAP starrybound support you are on a wrong plan and you need a VPS or Dedicated Server and for this you are on your own setup, you are the real admin and you will deal with the real issue too.

I believe professionals just can't for the moment provide a support on a beta mod for a beta software, I believe managing only the starbound server for them is a real pain in the ass

19. Goate

Goate Yeah, You!

I don't give a fuck dude. I was willing to install Starrybound myself, but they blocked my ssh connection so I couldn't.
    They said nothing about managed or not managed. I just went to the site, ordered a dedicated server and wanted to install starrybound, that's not much to ask for. But they're cockblocking me on the last part. FOR NO GOOD REASON other than them being lazy. I paid for a service and I expect to get the god damn service as it was sold to me.

This is like ordering a teamspeak or mumble server then finding out you don't have the ability to make channels, it's total bullshit.

I see that JesterServers take special requests into consideration, I might have to drop them an email and get some intel on that before hand this time.

TL;DR I feel misled into spending money and all I got for it was a shitty vanilla server that I don't even want to play on.

I was misled into wasting money.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  20. star-bounded

star-bounded Space Hobo

Dude look here for Starbound server hosting a good way to break down all the infos you need. How ppl even suggest you to pay 17$ for server!! Wtf i see here you can find from 10$ I would suggest layer or GS.