1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Hoarder] How do you organize your storage?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Astrid Speckles, Mar 7, 2019.

?

What race are you?

1. Apex

8.8%
  2. Avian

14.7%
  3. Floran

29.4%
  4. Glitch

14.7%
  5. Human

23.5%
  6. Hylotl

11.8%
  7. Novakid

5.9%
  8. Other / Modded

32.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Astrid Speckles

Astrid Speckles Subatomic Cosmonaut

Yahallo!
    I'm a very casual Starbound player, just started playing it this week! I'm tied between being a Nova-Kid and an Avian :3 (I don't play modded, however im trying to figure out how to install the Enhanced Storage mod but I dont know how to use MAC's well xD)

As in most games I play, I tend to hoard all of the items I come across and usually try to get at least one of every item in the game, which means most of my mental strain goes towards trying to figure out a good storage format that works well for me!
    At the moment I have a chest full of every type of weapon so: Daggers, Shortsword, Boardswords
    And I'm trying to make a chest full of blocks from each biome
    I'm still adjusting as I go completely over my head xD

So I'm wondering for you hoarders and not hoarders out there, how do you organize your things?
    Weapons, blocks, accessories, everything!

2. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

Well, as for Starbound, I usually classify the item first, like weapons, armors and outfits, tools and medicines, blocks, resources, foods and seeds, collections, and others. After, I classify it, I will build some storages in my spaceship (usually at the back, and I usually use the wall-mounted locker) base on how many type of the item there are, so one wall-mounted locker for one type of item (but I may use two or more wall-mounted locker for one type of item, if the space is not enough). After that, I will put each type of item inside each locker according to its rarety and its alphabetical order (people must be wondering how tedious it is, right?)

But there are some exception for some class of items. Like weapons for instance. I separate the weapon in to much smaller class, like assault rifle, sniper rifle, dagger, shortsword, broadsword, pistol, machine pistol, shield, hammer, axe, spear, and special weapons. So, there will be more than one storage for the weapons. But I don't do that anymore, I don't collect weapons anymore (they are randomized, it is pointless in colllecting them). Now, I only collect special weapons, like flamethrowers and boomerang.

There are also some exception for armors and outfits. I arrange it inside a locker horizontally, according to its class and sets. Because there are many of them, I usually build a room dedicated for storing the armors and outfits I found or built.

The last one is for the collection. I separate it in to fossils, bugs, figurines, pets, and the trophies from Nuru (except for the fishes and dishes of course, there is no way I can collect it, I can only record it) . I put it in a different lockers. Except for the trophies from Nuru, I usually just put it in my room for me to view it everytime I enter my room.

Those are all the ways of how I hoard the items I found while exploring the universe and the way how I classify them all. It looks frustrating and tedious, right? But I enjoy most of it.

Additional notes:
    Oh yes, I forgot one thing. I also collect codexes. I will just put it in the locker near the teleporter, and arrange it in alphabetical order. In the future, I am planning to make a huge library in a planet for the codexes I found, with one codexes inside each bookshelves. So, it looks like the library has many books in it.

3. kukagres

kukagres Void-Bound Voyager

In my particular case, on the first planet where you appear, I built a long elevator that goes from the surface to the magma floor.
    From the bottom up I have:
    1) Containers of liquids (in alphabetical order, and of abundant liquids)
    2) Wooden crates with blocks (also in alphabetical order)
    3) Figurines, bugs, decorations, doors, furniture, lights, seeds & saplings, storage, armor & dye, codex, cooking ingredient & crafting material, etc. etc.
    (I follow this order: https: //starbounder.org/Category: Items)
    4) Arms separated into 3 sections, arranged alphabetically.
    5) I plan to make artificial biomes, with critters and monsters. Also a museum with fossils and geological samples.

4. Grifs

Grifs Void-Bound Voyager

Vanilla-wise, I started segregating liquid and solid blocks in case I ever needed them for something. I've never really organized solid blocks though (iirc I've only really used sand for glass). I just more or less threw them away in a storage full of random crap and would like, always waste about 2 minutes trying to find where they are, only to find out much later that I stored a certain block in another base. Sometimes, they'd even end up in another character's ship. I guess that means you should also organize them like the others.

For crafting materials, I started having separate containers for ores, organic materials (phase matter, living root), and the synthetic stuff (silicon boards, ram, etc) ever since I got too overwhelmed prioritizing what to keep. There's also this one container where I would throw some of the crafted stuff in (bottles, paper, fabric, Synthetic Material). I never did refine my ores though, unless I needed to build something that requires one. But I still dumped looted ingots here.

As for the weapons, I never thought of categorizing them up until I started using community-made content, and would end up grouping them according to their respective mods. I did the same with their own crafting materials later on.

The trophies and codices though, I just sell trophies asap then prolly compress them in case I die or something, and read-&-forget the latter, usually just putting it back to where I found it.

5. linonetwo

linonetwo Intergalactic Tourist

6. Wiranum

Wiranum Subatomic Cosmonaut

I played the game long to a point that my own ship bacame too small to store everything I got, so I built my storage location on a moon (has low gravity to prevent fall damage and you can fly with a rocket spear for easy mobility. No mobs to annoy you)
    I mostly build a hellevator from surface that goes downwards with intersections between each storage group (each group being a category like vanity, weapons, etc.) while leaving space between them so I can expand more in case I collect too many items.
    I mostly separate items into those categories : vanity / weapons / blocks / furniture / codexes / blueprints / pets / music instruments

In vanity I made a trash bin space where I throw anything I collect randomly on planets and other spaces where I sort clothes per sets once I complete them. I separate blue vanity sets, armor sets, legendary items and the trash bin.
    For weapons, I group them then divide those groups into sub groups, for example swords is a group divided into longswords, shortswords, daggers and broadswords. I separate staffs and wands by elements and sort them by spells inside the containers. I store throwing weapons and uniques into their own groups.
    For blocks, I put the kinds of blocks that are likely to appear together (like moonstone + moondust + moonrock / Obsidian + magmarock + meteorite, etc.) into the same containers. I make a container for things like moonstone + moondust + moonrock, another for snow + ice + slush + frozen water and such and so on
    I group furnitures into the species they are themed after and where you find them (all hylotl furnitures together in a container, all floran together in another container, etc.)
    Codexes, pets, blueprints and music instruments are each a category with a single type of item inside, so I don't make sub groups with them. However I separate mech blueprints from the others.

For easier landmarks, I like to put a visual above the containers so I know what is where instantly. For example with swords I put a swords rack, blocks I put the blocks I can find, Codexes I put a bookase and so on.

I exclusively use wall lockers as they are the best for storing items, taking the tiles and number of slots into account. For anything taking more than one, I simply place the following under each other. I also add new lockers that way in case everything gets full (like with weapons). With the space I reserved I can expand the base (and lockers) with no troubles.

This is simple and organised for me. I don't spend a lot of time in my storage as I instantly know where to go to find what I want.

I kept all he crafting materials on my ship near all my crafting stations. That's the only thing I keep there.

7. Rat-Thing

Rat-Thing Phantasmal Quasar

Typically, I put any Upgrade materials, quest items, or alternate currencies in the Ship Locker, and have a separate chest within a ship's designated workshop.
    I prefer to organize material inventory by Bars/Refined Materials, electric components, then Monster Drops.
    Furniture and materials are usually shoved into a random crate and forgotten about.

With unique weapons, I usually keep them in the shiplocker, though I might use a seperate container for that if there isn't enough space. Other weapons I typically pawn off.
    Fluids are stored in those Erchius canisters, and shipping crates or smaller, more convenient crates, are used for blocks and furniture.

8. Catherine Franz

Catherine Franz Spaceman Spiff

One uhh row for every type on the ship not on the planets kinda like a merchant ship-ish type... (we never slept...@ .@)