Hiring NPCs to Protect You!

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Xploding_Cherry, Mar 3, 2012.

?

Should we be able to hire guards?

1. Yes, of course!

78.6%
  2. No, that would ruin the fun!

14.3%
  3. I don't really care...

7.1%
  1. Xploding_Cherry

Xploding_Cherry Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, after reading a topic about automatic defences (read it here http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/automated-defenses.1111/#post-25188) ... I thought of the idea of hiring your own soldiers to protect you! Basicly, it would work almost like a vendor NPC, you would have a selection of guards with their own special traits and weapons. You can, in a way, "Customize" your guard.

For example...
    - Some guards have a camo that does better on an ice based planet, than desert camo on a desert based
    - Or, a guard can do a lot better with a melee weapon than another guard that can do perfectly with a gun.

However, the guards you choose would be based on the planets you've visited. If it's your first time on a forest planet, it would be impossible to hire a forest came guard until you return back to your base. (Thanks, Pray_for_Snow for the idea!)

In conclusion, you would be able to hire a guard that can follow you around like a pet, or stay and guard a certain place, like your home base. You could choose to hire a guard that would fit your needs the best, fire it, then get a new one for another planet or situation. Also, it would probabily be a good idea to limit the number of guards you can have, maybe to one or two. It would be a little bit to OP if you could have 10 guards with you. It's just an idea. ;)

Please, give your honest opinion and ideas. Also, vote on the poll! Don't forget to like the post!

Also, please check out my post on Trappable Creatures! http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/trappable-creatures.1509/

Motie and Pray_for_Snow like this.
  2. Pray_for_Snow

Pray_for_Snow Void-Bound Voyager

I think the guards should be randomized by what planets you have encountered. That is, if you've been to an ice planet, you have a chance of getting a mercenary with snow camouflage, while if you've never been to a forest planet, you'll never get a forest mercenary.

Xploding_Cherry likes this.
  3. Xploding_Cherry

That's a good idea! Anyways, thanks for the positive feedback.

4. djdeathrow

djdeathrow Pangalactic Porcupine

cool, hiring a mercenaries should be fun !

5. wsensor

wsensor Subatomic Cosmonaut

I somewhat like this idea.

If I could summon them down from the spaceship and tell them to guard an area while I am mining than I would be happy with it.

However perhaps you should be able to purchase some mercenaries and supply them with their equipment? I would like to customize my mercenaries.
    As they do missions for you they could get better and perhaps we could send them on boarding missions or gathering missions for materials for us.

6. Xploding_Cherry

Glad to see some people support the idea. Leave more feedback!

7. TheMarineKing

TheMarineKing Subatomic Cosmonaut

Large Scale Invasion Anyone?

8. BlackSly

BlackSly Void-Bound Voyager

Yea it`s good Idea
    and maybe for get guard can be 2 ways?
    1 way: save him from monsters
    2 way: Pay for him

9. StarMetal25

StarMetal25 Phantasmal Quasar

Or an NPC can volunteer to protect the player, and you could chose if you wanted him to help?

10. BlackSly

Yep I said it. look at 1 way

11. StarMetal25

I meant like having a tutor type NPC that will help you until you learn everything you should to know about the game.

12. BlackSly

oh okey my mistake

Like guild in Terraria?

13. StarMetal25

Well, actually more like he would also help you battle so you don't have to protect him lol.

14. BlackSly

ehh
    I don`t know if you know that i didn`t understand you

15. StarMetal25

I don't understand what you just said, but you won't have to protect the NPC that helps you learn, he would have a weapon and he would protect you, not the other way around.

16. BlackSly

yes but
    look
    guard has trouble
    we help for guard
    guard is happy
    and guard want
    protect us

17. Xploding_Cherry

I do like both the ideas, but about the idea like followers in Skyrim...
    That would be less direct than just hiring a NPC to protect you, and you wouldn't have the range of choosing the best guard for a situation.
    Not saying your idea is bad, I would use it if I was low on In-Game money.