Modding Discussion high-def sprites

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Conir, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Kenode

Kenode Void-Bound Voyager

Is there no way to do this without altering the collision data (a.k.a. just visual changes)? I supposed if we halved the sprite rendering size, it would fit in place properly, since, you know, by default, the legs are already sinking in place.

That's looking pretty good so far though.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. Russy

Russy Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm not too sure, it's been posted in a few places if you do a reverse image search, but I agree it looks good

3. Heliostorm

Heliostorm Phantasmal Quasar

As far as I've been able to tell, the player renderer is completely hard-coded, the only thing that can be done with it is modifying the config files to use preset settings.

4. HoaxRumors

HoaxRumors Phantasmal Quasar

That's where the brunt of my digging has been directed, looking for something that informs the engine of what size to render at. Near as I've been able to determine (and I'll admit I got to the point where I was just plugging in [ "scale" : 2, ] into every header of every file with and hoping it'd do something: no dice), it's all handled in the engine, which we can't affect with anything under the assets folder, as Heliostorm said. I have a few other minor ideas that I want to try, but it's not looking particularly promising. Outside of getting the devs to add a scaling function for sprite renders or coding a "smart scale" where it will do the math for the user based on the sprite sheet size and shrink or grow the render accordingly-- something that would be quite awesome to have, but would require them to fix the numerous odd numbered values in the sprite sheet size first-- it's looking like sprite render size is out of our hands.

I'm always open to someone proving me wrong, though. I relish the thought, in fact.

Edit: Well, just tested, at the very least I can't sort out what "pixelRatioIdx" does in the game's main config file.

As expected, though, setting zoom to 1 makes things look hilariously tiny.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013