Chat Hels Chatroom V: Hel's Angels

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hel, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

I vote 3d modeling. Do you have a specific character in mind to model? Also, what program are you using to 3d model?
    My second vote is landscaping, I don't actually know anyone good at making landscapes for games and I'm not entirely sure where to start for it myself; pushing variety is always good in my book.

Parrotte likes this.
  2. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Bow down, peasants. Recently found out I have nobility in my ancestry.

3. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

pfft, so do i! i'm related to Charlemagne. c:

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  4. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

So... what do we talk about here? Noble ancestry?

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  5. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Once upon a time, long ago, we spoke about everything.
    But now, silence reigns, only broken from time to time...

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  6. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Really??

Basically whatever you want.

Parrotte and Jimlad 42 like this.
  7. An Old Knight

An Old Knight Ketchup Robot

I use Blender, had an idea on which OG character I wanted to try, but... realized it would take more talent than I have. I'll probably try landscaping.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  8. Bonabopn

Pangaea and Jimlad 42 like this.
  9. Daikon Ocelot

I don't know exactly what my ancestors are, they are quite mixed up. Chinese, Japanese, Dutch, Javanese, and many more I don't know.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  10. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  11. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

I get that, making a full character like that is hard.
    I was stupid and chose my third 3d project to be a full character. (My first two were a grail and a mask.)

Just making a bust might be significantly easier, but landscaping would also be fun.

12. Daikon Ocelot

I ever tried Blender. But because I am a noob at it, "man, what all these buttons do? Is it even necessary?"

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  13. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

Yeah, I first learned blender in a class. That was a very worthwhile class. Also a fun class, 3d printing is fun, and I think starting with 3d printing taught me a lot of good practices for 3d modeling in general.

Firebird Zoom and Daikon Ocelot like this.
  14. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

That fills me with hope. I'm going to try and edit some existing 3d models to make them easier to print... and to make room so I can put in all the LEDs I just ordered. :D
    Problem is I don't know how to use Blender nor SketchUp ;)

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  15. An Old Knight

An Old Knight Ketchup Robot

I just realized my Terraria server has been running 11 days straight and the computer has probably been on for even longer.

Still waiting for my preferred skybox to get updated to UE4.24 so I can use dynamic lighting because a large map can't use baked light, the baked light file simply becomes too large and takes too long to compile.

Parrotte and Jimlad 42 like this.
  16. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Just reading the words "Baked Lights" give me PTSD-style flashbacks to mapping with Hammer (For Source Engine) or WorldBuilder (For DoW2R).
    Source Engine because VRAD (or lighting) calculations can become awfully long on higher quality settings, and second one because the way Essence Engine handles lighting is through some weird point-based system, where a model's lighting is basically pulled from the closest point on the grid and then put on the entire model, meaning that two models next to each other can get their lighting values from different points and thus be vastly different.

I mean, the entirety of the Essence Engine is ass anyway. Imagine adding melee units to a game of which the engine was never meant for it...

Still, mapping remains one of the most fun things to do for me. Even if the mapping tool is a pedantic and arse-backwards piece of crap.

Firebird Zoom and Jimlad 42 like this.
  17. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Risking the wrath of the mods by making a double post, but I don't care in this instance, because I'm here to say...

Happy New Years to all of you. May 2020 bring you good fortune. And cookies. Especially cookies.

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  18. Jimlad 42

Jimlad 42 Supernova

Happy New Years.
    I had it ushered in by Zeldathon's Jam Train. Sadly, I'm going to have to leave it only 1840 strong, because I need sleep. Hopefully it'll still be going when I wake up.

19. Daikon Ocelot

Happy New Year, guys! Yeah! Hope you all better in this new year!

Jimlad 42 likes this.
  20. Bonabopn

happy new year to all!

i'm not allowed any more cookies because i ate too many so mum put them on the high shelf :c

Jimlad 42 likes this.