Help!!

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Freya339, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Freya339

Freya339 Space Hobo

Hello,

I'm new to the whole mods world and I'm using Mac to play Stardew Valley and I know ?I have installed Smapi because I can find the mods folder so yay me but when I try to add my folders that I have download they don't work, I think I have unzip them but I'm not sure but then went I go back to my game it doesn't work

And the mods are new so its not like they are broken because of updating, I don't think I'm unzip them right but like I said I never use Mac before so I don't know if I am or not??

could someone please help me

• LadySilver814

LadySilver814 Aquatic Astronaut

Hey Freya339,

I would recommend unziping them (if you haven't), checking the readme's and verifying that you have the mods necessary to run them and also making sure that they're up to date. (Some mods require other mods in order to run.) I've also noticed that some of the unzipped mods are actually folders inside of folders so make sure your folder's structure look something like what's attached.

Edit: I've added a sample of what my mods folder looks like (or would if I wasn't troubleshooting a mod at the moment).
      upload_2019-12-4_21-35-48.png

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
      • jahangmar

jahangmar Sandwich Man

You have to unzip them (just extract the mod folder into your Mods folder). It should look as in the image posted by LadySilver814. What do you mean by "go back to my game"? You have to restart your game so the mods can be loaded. You can take a look at the console output or your log file (here is how to find you log file). Your mods should appear in the log and there should be no error message.
        If there is an error, you can upload your log on the site I linked and paste the link you get there here so we can see what went wrong.

• Freya339

Freya339 Space Hobo

I think the problem is I don’t know how to unzip on Mac sorry for being stupid. I have only use pc before this and tomorrow I’m going to take a screenshot of stuff and if you can make sure that would be great.

I click unzip on winzip and I ask it to be unzip on my desktop but I don’t think it’s doing it

• LadySilver814

LadySilver814 Aquatic Astronaut

That is weird that winzip isn't unzipping it. Pictures may help clarify what's going on.

I recommend downloading an installing something like The Unarchiver (free) instead since doesn't randomly decide it can't unzip .rar files like my awful RAR Extractor does. There are two ways you can go about unzipping stuff:
            If you download and install The Unarchiver then you can go into the program and tell it (Via Preferences) to "Extract archives to:" a specific location:

upload_2019-12-6_12-34-35.png

1. You can change the default program so your computer never (unless you specifically tell it to or change it back) uses WinZip.
            You'll have to right click on the file and choose "Get Info" which should pull up a new window. Go down to the "Open with:" drop down menu.
            Then click on the button for "Change All...". It'll pop up a new window asking if you are sure just click "Continue".

upload_2019-12-6_12-25-16.png
            upload_2019-12-6_12-24-35.png upload_2019-12-6_12-29-48.png
            upload_2019-12-6_12-29-23.png

2. You can just manually choose to open with a program other than the default for each file. Again right click on the file then choose "Open With" and select the application from the menu.
            upload_2019-12-6_12-19-48.png

Attached Files:

• Freya339

Freya339 Space Hobo

I saw your files are rar files but mine said dll and phd files so it can’t open them

• jahangmar

jahangmar Sandwich Man

Zipped filenames end with ".zip" or ".rar" for example. The dll file is part of the unzipped mod. You can see here how it looks if your mod is installed correctly.
                So in your case: You have unzipped the mod already. You have to put the main folder of the mod into the Mods folder in your game folder now.
                For a dll mod:
                Code:
                AwesomeMod/
                    manifest.json
                    AwesomeMod.dll
                    OtherStuff

For a content pack (for content patcher):
                Code:
                [CP] AwesomeContentPackMod/
                    manifest.json
                    content.json
                    OtherStuff