Modding Help Help with Planet Definitions and Block Merging

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Reika, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Reika

Reika Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am seeking to make a mod that makes the biome and subregion distribution more like that of a year ago, where biomes were largely locked to a specific one or two planet types, and where various subregions only showed up on higher-tier planets. So, for example, this would remove Garden biomes from Tundra planets, Jungle biomes from Forest planets, and similar.

All of this works. However, I have decided to move on to the underground biomes - so as to prevent biomes like slime or cell caves from spawning on starter worlds - and have run into something of a wall.

Basically, these subregions are defined within the "shallowunderground", "midunderground", and "deepunderground" depth layers, and though I know how to add custom layer definitions and subregion entries, as well as all the relevant patching, I do not know how to modify low-tier (i.e. Garden, Forest, and Desert) planets to assign them new underground depth layers (ie replace "shallowunderground" with "shallowundergroundlowtier").

I imagined that this would be a simple replace/ patch, but there is an issue: Planets do not explicitly specify most or all of their layers, instead appearing to inherit it from defaults or something (the wording of "merging" comments in terrestrial_worlds.config is rather unclear). I have tried the obvious "just specify it explicitly and it will override the inherited one" approach and all I got was a parsing crash.

Does anyone know how to do this, to replace a depth layer generation entry for a specific planet type that does not explicitly specify such data, and appears to have an entirely different structure?