Modding Help Help with monster body part rotation & animation

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by DragonZombie, Jul 10, 2017.

1. DragonZombie

DragonZombie Pangalactic Porcupine

Hi everyone!
    So where do i start, well, right now i have been working on a mod that adds tons of bosses and monsters from other games.
    The thing is that i have no idea how to make a body part of a monster rotate constantly, i'm using a "wings" body part that is supposed to be rotating or moving up or down, thus always "flapping"
    I've already managed to get the sprites all aligned correctly.
    So anybody knows how do i do this? i know it's possible because the brain apex mutants rotate their arm while attacking, but i don't know how to do this flapping animation.

2. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

First of all, super cute icon+name-- I love Cave Story so much, and the Egg Corridor (?) segment sticks with me. <3

I personally haven't worked with boss animation too specifically.. but my first thought is to just make the wings a part of the body, and have them move in each frame, instead of making them separate entities?
    There's the scrapped bone dragon boss files that you could reference, they're still in the monsters/boss/dragonboss folder.

Or, if you really wanted them to be a separate part of the body, I would look at the monsters/dungeon and monsters/generated folders and reverse-engineer the coding and behavior of limbs as written in there. Generated flying monsters, as well as even just the stuff in the monsters/flyers folders, are probably your best bet if you want to work off of vanilla behavior.

I hope that's helpful? Maybe? I haven't worked with monster animation outside of ship pets, so others might have better answers for you!

3. DragonZombie

DragonZombie Pangalactic Porcupine

Alright, i've already tried beforehand, i shoulda mentioned, but it does not work mainly because those use separate sprites for each frame, and i can't do sprites at all, like at all!
    see, i have this wings body part, already attached to the boss monster, but it's only 1 sprite and it's meant to be moving up and down, unlike the ones from the flying monsters which use multiple sprites to simulate a flapping animation.

Now, i'll try to reverse engineer some of the monsters and see if i find any of them that do this.