Modding Help Help with flight tech

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Nexus Of Chaos, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

I'm wanting to create a tech to go along with my race mod that allows the player to fly (will be very expensive in either energy, tech cards, or both) and uses a certain string of animations for flapping wings (which the wings are part of the race). I know it's possible for the texture because of the Slime Race Mod's slime sphere, but idk how to implement it while:
    1: having the wings the same color as the hair
    2: having the body the same as the normal body
    3: having clothes while flying (mainly bc the code for the slime sphere doesn't include clothes)
    4: balance

2. Nexus Of Chaos

been a couple hours, only 11 views and no replies.

3. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

I was thinking about it, not sure how to accomplish it all at the moment.

4. Nexus Of Chaos

i was thinking of adding a row of adding a row or 2 of frames on the player texture with the flapping, having that row(s) use some vanilla clothing frame rotated to match the way you're flying, and having the tech call on those frames when in use

5. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Seems like a plan, I think tech is the only thing that can control player animation, so it is probably possible.

6. Nexus Of Chaos

ok, i'll need help bc i'm not too experienced with making code rather than editing code. I want it where you glide (1-2 frames) at a very low energy cost (1 eps?) and pressing (no holding, so you have to b active on the flight) the jump button uses more energy but gets you higher with a flapping animation.

btw i noticed ur the person helping me with the texture, so could u add this too?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  7. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

I think I can look into some code, and before adding character frames I think it'd be smart to check if it'll work in the first place (I don't want to waste both of our time by making something that won't work), but if this all works then I'll make those frames... (perhaps one row of frames for up/down and another for forward?)

8. Nexus Of Chaos

to make it quicker and easier, use animations based on one of the personality bodies for up/down flying, animations based on the idle swim frame for forward flying, and use one of the up/down frames rotated to go forward for a glide (may have to make custom head textures for a glide)

9. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

Actually there is a function to rotate the player (used in the flipslash ability to make the front flip), so it can use some standard frames, but rotated.

Edit:
    This is that function.
    Code:
    mcontroller.setRotation()

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  10. Nexus Of Chaos

well, for gliding, yes. for the upward and forward flying, you need to use custom frames for the flapping

11. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

There is a flight mod now, you might look for reference. It isn't racially themed like your idea. Stargazer's Dream I believe is the name.

As for flapping, maybe instead use rotations/transformations on the wings themselves. Then you'd most just need new frames to cover wings spreading out/ being taken in. And you might produce the best wings with multiple parts(sections) that move together(hence the groups).

Check out
    \monsters\boss\guardianboss\guardianboss.animation
    \vehicles\mech\glitchmech\glitchmech.animation

In particular, note how some things are "anchored" to others.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  12. Nexus Of Chaos

i just realized the wings actually don't have to b directly part of the player texture, if we either do lua or patches. we could hav it load the wings on top of human bodies (bc they're pretty much humans with wings and can use magic from a completely different planet)

13. MetaFace

MetaFace Guest

I was thinking that, when you put armor on it'd cover the wings, but then again... if you want me to I can make two sprite sheets, one with player model and the other with the wings. (since the body is done and the wings are almost done, it'd be mostly copying the wings over to a new image)