Modding Help Help with creating a custom NPC?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by soapierbean, Dec 3, 2018.

1. soapierbean

soapierbean Void-Bound Voyager

Not a 100% sure this is the right place to post, but after a lot of searching this seemed like the best place.

I'm trying to create a custom NPC to add to the game. I've been following the wiki guide to creating an NPC. I've downloaded other custom NPCs to verify that I'm doing things right and I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I'm using Abigail's sprites/portraits and Robin's dialogue to test that my mod actually works before I get to creating the NPC. I don't know how to find location coordinates, so I've tried copying ones from actual NPCs as well as custom NPCs I downloaded, none of which have worked. The mod itself loads just fine with Content Patcher in Smapi (it doesn't show any errors and it says it loaded the Content Pack).

In my CP mod, I have a "content.json", a "manifest.json", and an "assets" folder. I made someone else's mod CP compatible before for myself so I have a rough idea of what I'm doing, everything in the content & manifest files appears to be working and goes into the right folders. "Assets" contains "Characters" & "Portraits" folders. In portraits is Abigail's png file (renamed Ram.png). In characters is Ram.png (Abigail's sprites) & the folders "dialogue" and "schedules". Within those are the json file for dialogue and schedules respectively.

NPCdispositions & NPCgiftastes have also been modified to add Ram to the game (using Abigail's dispositions with an altered birthday & Robin's gift tastes with Cloth added as a loved item).

The NPC never appears, nor do they appear according to any of the mods I have that reveal all of the NPCs and your relationships with them. Can anyone help me with what I'm missing? It says it's possible to add a custom NPC with content patcher but as far as I can tell that doesn't appear to be possible (though I assume it's because I'm missing something essential).

In addition, is there a way to find location coordinates? Right now I'm guessing and/or copying other NPCs, but if I do manage to get my NPC to work, I would like to be able to customize their routes.

I also happen to be on a mac, so I don't know if that affects anything.

• thingwithwings

thingwithwings Phantasmal Quasar

What I'm using for location coords with my custom npc is the debug mode mod It display's the current map and coords for both the player and the cursor when you activate it. Hope this helps!

soapierbean likes this.
      • soapierbean

soapierbean Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the link to the mod, that will be incredibly helpful!

• thingwithwings

thingwithwings Phantasmal Quasar

No problem! If you have any other specific issues feel free to dm me, I've stumbled my way through a few so I might be able to help haha.