Help! Everyone in my game died!

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by TheWizardCoppertop, Jun 8, 2017.

1. TheWizardCoppertop

TheWizardCoppertop Space Hobo

Hello. I booted up Starbound today after seeing that 1.3 had come. (Woo! Giant space robots!) I started up a new game as one of the Droden (from the Elithian Races Mod; figured I'd check them out and see if there were new Mech-based quests) and everything worked fine. Then, most of the way through the intro mission, I noticed that the one tentacle that's supposed to be there blocking the ship isn't there. Okay, I thought, that's a bit weird. Probably a minor bug; this mod is supposed to add missions anyways, so it's probably nothing. Then I kept going to the first planet, where things got....creepy. No monsters; just the occasional dropped pixels left on the ground. No NPCs; the mandatory mine was missing the camper that spawns there by default. This was very not good. Also, kind of creepy. So, just for the sake of completion, I logged out of that save and went over to my other one. Same thing; random pixels everywhere, nobody to be seen when I beamed down to the village I happened to be parked over-not even my two crewmembers were there when I spawned! Does anyone else have this problem? Modlist below;

StarTech FU
    Frackin' Races
    Elithian Races Mod
    Xbawks Character Extender
    Startech
    StardustLib
    Frackin' Universe
    Protectorate+
    Any Capture
    Cyberspace Sandbox
    Combinable Augments
    Liquid Pumps
    Explorerpod
    Item Broadcaster & Hyper-storage
    Weapon Stats
    Improved Containers
    Phase Shift Module
    The XCOM Mod
    Item Frame
    Gardenbot2 : Reboot Edition
    Active Stealth Module

I have no idea what the problem is, but on the face of it it looks like the patch broke something-I was just playing on my new save with FU and, well, everything above FU yesterday before the patch showed up. Please, does anyone know a fix?

2. Shadow20218

Shadow20218 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Same, it would be better if you would upload your .log to pastebin as well so they could be cross referenced.
    Use this site to copy and paste your .log in, https://pastebin.com

Still haven't figured out a solution but you have much fewer mods than us and we have several of the ones present. So this will make the search much easier at least.

A question as well, since you did the primary mission were any of the NPCs there?
    When we had done the mission all the NPCs were missing, and the monster you mentioned was missing as well.

Also we have slimed the list of possibly broken mods to:
    Frackin' Races
    Startech
    StardustLib
    Frackin' Universe
    Improved Containers
    Item Frame
    Active Stealth Module

We doubt these are responsible due to having removed them and the issue having persisted.
    Mods we posses that we have tested:
    Elithian Races Mod
    Xbawks Character Extender
    Any Capture
    Combinable Augments
    Weapon Stats

Since we don't posses these mods but suffer from similar effects these are unlikely to be the broken mods.
    Mods you posses that we don't:
    Protectorate+
    Cyberspace Sandbox
    Liquid Pumps
    Explorerpod
    Item Broadcaster & Hyper-storage
    Phase Shift Module
    The XCOM Mod
    Gardenbot2 : Reboot Edition

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2017
  3. TheWizardCoppertop

I didn't actually notice, but come to think of it the halls of the Protectorate were suspiciously empty. I think maybe the infodesk NPC was there, but that might be part of the model.....
    Log will come about...well, now. If I linked it right.

https://pastebin.com/pWu9xfUK
    https://pastebin.com/qXN772Pm
    https://pastebin.com/mfFv5gSK
    https://pastebin.com/BhUXnweg
    https://pastebin.com/aSwNXqfA

Hope this helps. I really would like to play 1.3. I really would like to do so with FU and the rest of my modlist. But I really do not want to keep playing it with a bug that turns the game into the beginning of a creepypasta. Those never end well for the guy posting about it in the forum! :)

Hope I helped.

EDIT; realized two seconds in I'd accidentally added labels to the actual URL in the links. Fixed now.

4. Shadow20218

Yep sounds just like ours, the info-desk NPC is not an actual NPC but is piece of furniture.

Its odd... you seem to not posses the same error as us, actually there is nothing in any of this code at all to say that the monsters are messed up at all.
    Perhaps you should post your full starbound.log that should be just to the left of the first log, that is where we found our error showing why the monsters were missing.

Would love if this became a creepypasta irl, then what happens to the guy helping the other in the forum?

5. TheWizardCoppertop

...I do not know how I managed to skip over that. To quote one of the great wise men of the century, D'oh!
    ....We have not produced a lot of wisdom this century.

Anyway, here's the full log-oh, holy (@*$& it exceeded the filesize. Hold on... Half of it is too big. About a quarter (estimated based on scrollbar) is too much.
    Coming in....Eighths? Sixths? Coming in some fraction I can actually do;

https://pastebin.com/tYgtAxiJ

https://pastebin.com/3fCXD8dE

Gah! Okay, I've managed to put up these-they're the first 2000/2200 lines, I believe-but Notepad just lost my place on the document, and searching it gets a lot of redundant finds....Is there a better way to post massive files without signing up for a paid service, or perhaps some particular timestamp or error message I could search for? Otherwise this'll take me all night....

6. Shadow20218

Ok, there is the same error that we have in the second link at the beginning that is the same code we received that explains why the monsters are incapable of spawning, however we cannot find why this is occurring in either of our instances.

To be precise this is the exact line of code where everything seems to go wrong, this is identical to what we have but we still cannot figure out why this is occurring.

[Error] Exception while calling script init: (LuaException) Error code 2, [string "/monsters/monster.lua"]: 30 : attempt to index a nil value (global 'BData')
    We believe that this is the core error code, however we have no idea how to fix the specific error, only locate it, sorry.... still going to try to fix our own then tell you if anything happens though.
    You will have to ask someone more experienced to figure out precisely how to fix it.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  7. TheWizardCoppertop

Okay, thanks. ...If it helps, I was finding drops, so it looks like something is killing the monsters when they spawn; maybe a bug is causing them to spawn with 0 HP?

8. Shadow20218

It does say in the code 'attempt to index a nil value'
    nil= zero
    so it IS indexing all monster/NPC health levels at zero, nice spotting.

9. TheWizardCoppertop

This is the true path of the nerd-not exactly competence in all things nerdly, but faking it somewhat well.
    So the question becomes, which of these mods would work with NPC indexes? ....Off the top of my head, the most likely culprit would be FU-it does the most comprehensive changes, and would have to interact with NPC generation at least enough to account for all the new worlds and biomes it includes. Frackin' Races could also affect NPCs, possibly, if it updates NPCs with the extra racial traits and not just player characters.

It COULD be StardustLib-it contains 'libraries for various interop, etc.' so it's possible it has its own index that stopped playing nice after the update.

Or it could be some vanilla bug. Which may be hard to prove, because I'd imagine almost everyone plays with at least some minor mods, but then official beta testing should have caught that before release.

Or, given I am not a modder or programmer, the other mods we haven't eliminated might interact with something for some reason.

10. Coleman1138

Coleman1138 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

In another forum I had read, the Active Stealth Mode mod is the cause of that. I had the same issue, I got rid of it and it works fine, however, I did notice that there were not as many NPCs in the Academy as there should be. Have not tried the outpost yet.

Edit: Just went to the outpost. No NPCs present. Well, there was one, but they died.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  11. TheWizardCoppertop

Bummer. I guess Stealth COULD be involved, I'm not sure if there was already an 'invisibility' feature in the game for it to use...

For the record I'm kinda scared to go anywhere in game without a New Game to test first; if, for example, I hit the outpost and it kills off the NPCs? Might not respawn. :(
    Really don't want to test that.....

12. sizzlesizzle123

sizzlesizzle123 Void-Bound Voyager

Ninjas play free also has this problem :) but if you un install that mod it works

13. sizzlesizzle123

sizzlesizzle123 Void-Bound Voyager

NCp's dont die after that

14. Coleman1138

Mod uninstalled, game restarted from scratch, problem still arises. Barely any NPCs at the Academy and the Outpost still empty of all NPCs. Monsters do spawn, however.

15. TheWizardCoppertop

Okay, if it's fixing things for some of us to uninstall stealth mods....but two different stealth mods do that, and it's not a fix all the time? What other mods are you guys running, maybe there's something else our modlists have in common?

16. Coleman1138

The question works arise to what mod would affect npc health?

17. TheWizardCoppertop

I don't THINK stealth affects are vanilla, so mods that add in that would have to affect monsters in some way. StardustLib indicates that it provides a library for other mods to use, so it could overwrite something, and according to Shadow it IS apparently some kind of indexing error. Mods that add just weapons, items, or structures shouldn't NEED to affect mobs, to my knowledge, though they might.... And weapon mods could have to change things in how NPCs are considered, especially if they have some kind of exotic effect that isn't in the base game.

18. TheWizardCoppertop

Okay, uninstalling Active Stealth Module worked for some reason. Though there was also an update to FU, so that might have helped...?

19. Coleman1138

Lemme try

20. latoshi

latoshi Space Spelunker

at the current moment it seems active stealth modules is causing it