1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Help creating a Starbound server! (Access violation error)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Putridmango, Dec 9, 2013.

1. Putridmango

Putridmango Space Hobo

Also, you might have to restart steam if you try to make the server again once you start it up. It was giving me the same error until I did so when I decided to re-open my server. This fix is a little faulty, but it works for the most part. Keep me updated.

2. wsxdr50

wsxdr50 Space Hobo

I can't locate the steam app. Do you mean the file location so c:/Program files(x86)/ Steam ?? If that's the case there is no common folder. I'm pretty sure I am very wrong. Can you lead me through the exact file location?

EDIT: I found it, I had a Steamapps folder after Steam that I didnt look at. Thank you

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  3. wsxdr50

wsxdr50 Space Hobo

Also, what is the Address and Password for connecting? Are they both your external ip? Or only address is external ip?
    And does ther sever cmd prompt every say done? I havent been patient enough to wait that long.

4. Putridmango

Putridmango Space Hobo

Its your peronal IP address to connect. The one that is unique to you. The password is left blank. I can SOMETIMES create the server, but my friends cannot join. ATT seems to still have the port blocked even though i unblock it. I'm calling them tomorrow.

5. wsxdr50

wsxdr50 Space Hobo

Any news, and I'm also confused on the server account box after patch. BTW I still can't connect but I don't think I'm doing it correctly

6. wsxdr50

wsxdr50 Space Hobo

Any news, and I'm also confused on the server account box after patch. BTW I still can't connect but I don't think I'm doing it correctly.

EDIT: I got the server to work after creating one, but am still trying to find out how others join my server.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  7. ttwww

ttwww Space Hobo

go to ipchicken or something give that ip to them and they shoud join.

8. Katorone

Katorone Giant Laser Beams

Not sure what's up or what you tried in the meantime. But if you're still having troubles, could you give us a rundown of what you tried and how?

9. Fibriel Solaer

Fibriel Solaer Space Kumquat

Here's a process that should probably cover most problems for Windows users with a router.

Close your server before you do this.

Try Hamachi
    - You and your friend should both get Hamachi.
    - You should create a group and invite said friend.
    - Start your server.
    - Have that friend try to connect to you with your Hamachi IPv4.

If that doesn't work:
    - Close your server.
    - Sign off Hamachi (your friend too) and run the command prompt (Start --> Run --> cmd or command)
    - Run ipconfig
    - Scroll up and find your IPv4 Address. This is your LAN IP.
    - Open your router settings (you may need the administrator account credentials) and forward port 21025 on both TCP and UDP to your LAN IP.
    - Restart the router, unless it says it's updating.
    - Start your server.
    - Open a web browser and find your WAN IP. Bing will give it to you if you type in "what is my IP", or you can go to http://whatismyip.com.
    - Have your friend try to connect with your WAN IP.

Some people's WAN IP addresses change over time and you may need to update your IP every day or two.

10. Faira

Faira Subatomic Cosmonaut

im can NOT get an open port. I have a NETGEAR N300 modem/router. At&t suggested this modem so i can make a server. Then they tell me that they dont support it! What???? anyway, I spent 1 & 1/2 hours with Netgear trying to get an open port ... No such luck. this is what my port forwarding looks like: http://i.imgur.com/k2k0IER.png. Help? Please?

11. SweFox

SweFox Guest

Don't you need to open port 21025 :3?

12. Faira

Faira Subatomic Cosmonaut

13. Jammrock

Jammrock Void-Bound Voyager

On consumer routers you forward the port (port forwarding or port triggering). Then you must open the port on the firewall of the server (Windows, Linux, OSX).

I found this for the NetGear N300.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24046

You'll use settings similar to this:

Service Name: Starbound Server
    Protocol: TCP
    External starting port: 21025
    External stopping port: 21025
    [check]Use the same port for internal port
    Internal IP Address: <the LAN IP of your SB server (e.g. 192.168.1.100)>

If you are using Windows for your SB server you need to make sure the port is opened on the Windows Firewall.

Windows Server 8+/2012+:

a. Open an elevated (Run as administrator) PowerShell console:
    b. Execute these two commands:

New-NetFirewallRule -Name "Starbound Server (TCP-In)" -DisplayName "Starbound Server (TCP-In)" -Direction Inbound -Protocol TCP -LocalPort 21025
    New-NetFirewallRule -Name "Starbound Server (TCP-Out)" -DisplayName "Starbound Server (TCP-Out)" -Direction Outbound -Protocol TCP -LocalPort 21025

Windows Server 2008 [R2] and 7

a. Open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command Prompt console:
    b. Execute these two commands:

netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Starbound Server (TCP-In)" dir=in localport=21025 protocol=TCP action=Allow
    netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="Starbound Server (TCP-Out)" dir=out localport=21025 protocol=TCP action=Allow

Don't know the commands if you are running Linux or OSX.

Hopefully that clears things up.