1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Help: Building the City Ship

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MajesticBBQ, Aug 2, 2018.

1. MajesticBBQ

MajesticBBQ Big Damn Hero

I haven't been playing in a while, mostly been trying to learn coding and my own game design, and I thought of a ship idea, and since I have no friends, would like to try to find random people online to help me build said ship.
    It is a very rough sketch, I want to go over it with people who want to help, and no it is NOT a stand alone ship, just a quick in game build with BYOS, mainly because I like to challenge myself and it would be fun to make a large scale project like this with a community. Normally with the size it is, it would take me possibly a year with the time i have, probably 3 months if i worked nonstop (aka no sleep), why I would like help on this... also because I want to talk to people.

Some things to know first on what is going on
    1: This is IN GAME, I don't remember if you can make ships with their own file, but I would like it designed in game with BYOS anyway as a challenge
    2: Yes, that dot at the bottom is a 10x10 block square, kinda gives you a perspective on the challenges I like X3
    3: I don't have a full plan for the interior, so if anyone is interested, which I'm confused why anyone would be interested in this whole thing, you may feel free to put in some suggestions, I might also make a vote for them
    4: FOR SURE, there will be living quarters, kind of like a town on a ship, as this is mainly a massive ship it would make sense to have a full city in it
    5: If you want to be the captain... OK, just don't be a shmuck :up:
    6: NO CHEATING, this is a challenge, and I have given plenty of ways to get resources and use them easily, and with my experience in the past I will know if you are cheating (it's really easy actually)
    7: lastly, there is an open part in the middle... with little things sticking out, THOSE ARE THE REACTORS! :wot:, kind of a decorative thing and the main reason I want to make this ship. Space cooled Reactors, using whatever you guys wanna call it (another possible vote based on comments), and because of the way the starbound ship energy system is, they are solely decor, only there as the inspiration. I will definitely add it if someone were to make a mod where you have to make reactors based on the size of your ship, and I would like it if the reactors were to be made with certain blocks and not their own full sprites.

Mods I'm using:
    https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1462058312

Rough Drawing:
    SpaceShip_Rough.jpg

Edit: just had some thought and if this kind of thread is not allowed let me know so I can make it so, or delete it myself (get a lot of admins in other forums just deleting what people post with no message and confusing them), I am easy to forget the rules of certain forums, if I am OK, also let me know.:)

Edit 2: Yes the image is flipped on the Y-Axis, this happened as I was trying to get it from my mini whiteboard to the computer​

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    Starwire likes this.
  2. Starwire

Starwire Void-Bound Voyager

just here to say: GOOD LUCK

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

3. MajesticBBQ

thx :cry:

Starwire likes this.
  4. PseudoGold

PseudoGold Pangalactic Porcupine

This seems pretty awesome. I'd help, but sadly I don't have enough time on my hands. Good luck though!

5. MajesticBBQ

damn, my question about a block I had is getting more veiws/replies than this, I'm getting kinda worried this will die. I want to do this I just need people to help me, I do have mods that assist with building a lot, but I may not be able to get this done.
    This is a desperate attempt to get people to help me...

Starwire likes this.
  6. Starwire

Starwire Void-Bound Voyager

what you say later we uh.. idk... maybe I'll just hop in to see if there's anything i can do to help? i mean I'm pretty free and bored so what ya say?

I never really had done any building "projects" except for one inn i specifically planned for a few days which is built for my tenants with like classic baseboards and traditional wallpapers etc.. and btw i went full vanilla except for the optimization mod that I'm using to gain some fps..

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  7. MajesticBBQ

plz :cry: i need anyone, i've finally built up the pixels to make all the blocks i need, the only problem now is all the doors
    edit: how about i make a discord?
    Edit edit: Welp, I made a discord, for any brave soul wanting to join
    https://discord.gg/2PSDRqV

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    Starwire likes this.
  8. MajesticBBQ

Soooo, I have finished preparations and now I am working on making the outline. I have also made some shuttlecraft which can help for placing blocks around space, making it much easier for someone to place blocks and someone chauffeurs. The only things I need now are resources for reactors, building, and crafting, and people to assist with actually building the ship itself.

9. Daikon Ocelot

Daikon Ocelot Spaceman Spiff

So... what kind of help do you need? I will try to help you if possible.

Starwire likes this.
  10. MajesticBBQ

Mainly just getting it built, and resources for the rooms. It's going to be 10,000 blocks wide at least, so I think anything goes in the way of help.
    I do have a basic design but I still need refining as well, like what rooms go where, what blocks exactly, where the tenants go.

11. Daikon Ocelot

Holy crap! 10.000 blocks wide!? So how much blocks will it need in total for the whole builds?

12. MajesticBBQ

95,000,000 roughly. Don't worry I also found a mod that duplicates blocks for 1 pixel each, and though it uses voxels. got a whole set up of mods specifically for building this easily.
    Keep in mind, because of that mod I have a bunch of voxels from a month of grinding pixels, so you don't need to worry. It's just I want it to be less time consuming and getting the resources for the interior, which some of those can be done with scanning and the pixel printer.

13. Daikon Ocelot

Hmm... okay, let me open and check my Starbound. I haven't play it for a few weeks. I will pack any resources that I have from my colony and space station. Is there any specific kind of block used in the construction?

14. MajesticBBQ

Not really any specific block, I'm using basic ship blocks and duplicated titanium wall for the base. You do not have to worry about blocks I can just build a few and duplicate it.
    I just need basic resources, mainly Frackin.

15. Daikon Ocelot

Alright then, let me check my Starbound first, I hope nothing wrong with it, because some people experience an error after not playing it for a while. I will confirm it to you later, I am a bit busy right now, you know family stuff.

16. MajesticBBQ

Fair enough, I also got some new mods mainly for measuring things, so that helps...

17. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news, but you'll find your shipworld loops upon itself well before then. IIRC it is 2048 x 2048. No way to mod that limit away. It was sad to me, because I was going to add space shuttles etc to my Shipyard mod to fly around in space but there doesn't seem to be any point to it at that size.

By comparison a small vanilla planet is 3000 x 2000. The 2000 height is from core lava to space.

18. Daikon Ocelot

Damn it! I hate to say this that I can't help you in the near future. My PC just got busted, and I tried to save the save folder, the "storage" folder, but it didn't go as well as I expected (the "storage" folder misteriously gone, alright). So, I just fixed my PC now and installed the Starbound again. I need to start all over again. Sorry, I dissapoint you, I can't help you with the construction (damn, I love building so much, especially this big).

19. MajesticBBQ

damn...