Notice Help all Starbound Citizens, Join Starbounder!

Discussion in 'Wiki Discussion' started by Misdirected, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Misdirected

Misdirected Void-Bound Voyager

Hi folks!

The official wiki has been documenting Starbound since before its first beta in 2013. We’ve been as excited as everyone else for 1.0, and now we've finally got what we've all been waiting for! Understandably, along with everyone’s excitement, there were some server issues this weekend, but it looks like things have smoothed themselves out since the wiki server hardware was updated.

We want to help every player, new and old, get the most out of Starbound. Everyone experiences Starbound differently, and those experiences are what Starbounder needs to continue to grow as the best reference on the web. Our editors have been preparing for 1.0 as best we can, pulling information straight from the nightly files, but we need your in-game expertise.

Now the full game is out, contributing to the wiki is easier than ever – no nightly downloads, no unpacking necessary. But the idea of contributing to a wiki is intimidating to many, and most don’t know where to start. You may even be one of those who’ve seen something they wanted to add or change, but didn’t know where to start or didn’t want to ‘mess things up’. Well, you’re in luck! We have guides to help you.
    • Starbounder Crash Course - Quick overview of how the wiki is structured, what goes where, and where to find things.
    • Wiki Formatting Syntax – Fairly comprehensive guide on how to format your edits into something both valuable and beautiful.
    We have a few other wiki-specific guides that can be found here, but these first two will definitely set you off on the right foot.

So, now you understand how to effectively contribute to the wiki. But perhaps you don’t know where to start. There are a couple pages that could use some expert attention:
    • Guide on setting up multiplayer – this is one of the hardest hit pages on the wiki right now, and could some something of a makeover.
    • Completely new getting started guide – the getting started guide linked from the main page is for a previous release of the game, not 1.0. I’ve outlined (in parenthesis) what should be in the overhauled guide, and I need editors to help fill it in. Personally, I’ve spent more time in the game’s files than in-game, so many of you will be better authorities than I.
    Edit: Users who want to help, but don't want to edit can still flag articles for cleanup. Just put {{Cleanup}} at the start of the article, and it'll be automatically included in the cleanup pool. Other users can come by later and make those corrective edits. What's better is if you use {{Cleanup|"Reason clean up is needed"}} to help others figure out what to fix.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Thee Pie Man

Thee Pie Man Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks for making a thread like this. If I get some time between my moving to a new apartment I'll try to fill in some information/edit some of the pages together given the categories are all over the place- for example things like the trophies(figurines rather) all have separate pages when most have the same drop chance and could be moved into a column structured page with all of them there with their tool tips/descriptions and drop chance in a nice singular page format. That way when someone clicks "Figurine" they can find which one they want through a quick hyperlink/page jump and also have the rest at their fingertips for those collectors out there. Similar could be done to a lot of pages.

Wish everyone luck and hope to see a lovely Wiki~

3. almightykeyboard

almightykeyboard Tentacle Wrangler

Three Pie Man - Thank you for your intentions! :chrono: