Modding Help Explosive elemental flasks

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by TheTwilightDancer, Jan 18, 2019.

1. TheTwilightDancer

TheTwilightDancer Phantasmal Quasar

I haven't had as much time to test the flasks (toothache is keeping me awake and tired), but I had another go at testing, and found a few more issues. I am gonna test again and cross my fingers that the log finds no more. But anyways, after this is all done, the end result is gonna be colored flasks with varying effects. Red is standard explosive and burns targets, orange functions like the standard Molotov with the spreading flames but I gave it a different explosion effect, purple is tar and slows targets with tar, pink is acid with a melting/burning effect on targets, yellow is electric and stuns targets, blue is ice with a freezing effect, green is toxic and poisons targets, and black is cursed and inflicts doomed status on targets. I hope it all functions correctly once done.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1128607955&searchtext=colorful+beakers I got permission from the mod author to give the Beakers custom effects.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  2. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

Oh and feel free to make it your own mod release. Use the beaker sprites how ever you wish.

3. TheTwilightDancer

Are you sure? I don't wanna take all the credit for a mod that you started, I just changed a few things. :rofl: I'll tell ya what, once I test the mod and decide that I like the effects of it, I will upload to Google Drive and share it with you. Give it a try and see how you like it. (make a backup of the unaltered one you made in case you decide you like your original one better) If you do decide you really like the new effects I gave them better than the original, you can either update your beakers mod with it, OR if you also wanna keep the original, this can be an add-on, just the beaker names to be changed so that it doesn't conflict. But if you do insist in the end, I can upload as a separate mod. I may consider changing the names of the beakers if you (and other gamers) wanna use both beaker mods together so they don't conflict.

4. TheTwilightDancer

Oh and I also forgot. The orange beaker effects will remain the same as the original Molotov as the flames match the color anyway, and a fire theme suits it. Only thing I am changing is that the burning can't be extinguished in water. (it's a chemical and isn't able to wash off with water alone)

5. DrPvtSkittles

Make it a seperate mod and just give me credit for the beaker sprites :p

Oh yee change the names so you don't get a conflict.

6. TheTwilightDancer

Okay I will do that! I will change the beaker names too. It may take a little longer for me to get it out. I gotta test a lot because having issues with config files. Some of the explosions effects I wanted to use had no configs so I had to copy the configs of explosions that had them, and rename the animations, effect name, etc but a mistake somewhere I can't find is making the game crash when I use some of the beakers. Hopefully I can find the issue though!

DrPvtSkittles likes this.
  7. DrPvtSkittles

Check your log file. Its called starbound (no numbers)
    Starbound/storage

8. TheTwilightDancer

I got the beakers to work, now it's a matter of me figuring out why the tar explosion effects won't show for the purple beaker, the poison beaker poison effects also are not poisoning the target. I am getting some steps closer though.

9. Trickysnacks

Trickysnacks Space Hobo

I need a little help! if you take your Personal Tricorder and go to configure MM you can put and item from your inventory into the location of the matter manipulator or the wiring mode slot or any of those so what i need is to get back my wiring mode for i cannot do a thing without it

10. TheTwilightDancer

That's really strange, I have never heard of that issue before. Try uninstalling the mod and check your starbound log in the storage folder.

11. DrPvtSkittles

Code:
        "giveessentialitem" : "Usage /giveessentialitem item slotName. Sets the specified essential slot to the specified item, overwriting the existing contents. Valid slot names are: beamaxe, wiretool, painttool, inspectiontool.",
    in the chat type /admin [enter]
    /giveessentialitem wiretool wiretool [enter]
    /admin [enter]

12. Trickysnacks

Trickysnacks Space Hobo

13. Trickysnacks

Trickysnacks Space Hobo

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrPvtSkittles likes this.
  14. Trickysnacks

Trickysnacks Space Hobo

hahahaha i forgot to remove my max level ore detector but its w/e with my resources

15. DrPvtSkittles

16. TheTwilightDancer

I am making more tweaks to the mod, I decided to make them craftable from medical tier 2 table, where the stim packs are crafted. I had to take a break for a bit since I developed a bad toothache. I gotta go in this Friday. :rofl: Still testing the animations too, I have the most problems getting the acidexplosion for the pink beaker to work and the purple beaker tar explosion won't play the animation. (gonna test again and see what the starbound log says) I also renamed them accordingly and adjusted their recipe a little so it fits their theme. ;)

17. DrPvtSkittles

I look forward to you figuring this out so I can learn more about projectiles.

GOD SPEED. lol

18. TheTwilightDancer

This is the first ever significant (for me) mod I've done. And it's probably a piece of cake for others since the coding confuses me. Trying to copy files and rename stuff and getting it to work is hard enough. But I think the end results will be worth it. :rofl: For the projectiles, I copied the projectile effects I wanted from the Starbound projectiles folder. (like explosions, electric shockwaves, etc) I notice that explosions I wanna use have to have config files with the png, frames, and projectile file though. The acid explosion for the acid flask (pink) had none so I tried to copy and modify a config from the acid spit explosion config, now it's a matter of getting it to work. The purple flask purple paint explosion and tar explosion effects won't play properly despite having the right files so I gotta see what the log says. I will send the zipped folder of what this mod looks like currently so you can have a look for an example.

Attached Files:

19. DrPvtSkittles

Code:
        Line 146: [20:26:00.469] [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /projectiles/explosions/toxicflaskexplosion/toxicflaskexplosion.projectile, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /projectiles/explosions/toxicflaskexplosion/toxicflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 235: Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: bad object, should be '}' or ',' at 16:3
        Line 275: [20:26:00.474] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/toxicflaskexplosion/toxicflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/toxicflaskexplosion/toxicflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 275: [20:26:00.474] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/toxicflaskexplosion/toxicflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/toxicflaskexplosion/toxicflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 277: [20:26:00.837] [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /projectiles/explosions/icyflaskexplosion/icyflaskexplosion.projectile, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /projectiles/explosions/icyflaskexplosion/icyflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 326: Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: bad object, should be '}' or ',' at 17:3
        Line 346: [20:26:00.853] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/icyflaskexplosion/icyflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/icyflaskexplosion/icyflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 346: [20:26:00.853] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/icyflaskexplosion/icyflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/icyflaskexplosion/icyflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 347: [20:26:00.858] [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /projectiles/explosions/sludgeflaskexplosion/sludgeflaskexplosion.projectile, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /projectiles/explosions/sludgeflaskexplosion/sludgeflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 396: Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: bad object, should be '}' or ',' at 12:3
        Line 416: [20:26:00.885] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/sludgeflaskexplosion/sludgeflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/sludgeflaskexplosion/sludgeflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 416: [20:26:00.885] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/sludgeflaskexplosion/sludgeflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/sludgeflaskexplosion/sludgeflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 417: [20:26:00.896] [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /projectiles/explosions/acidflaskexplosion/acidflaskexplosion.projectile, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /projectiles/explosions/acidflaskexplosion/acidflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 466: Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: bad object, should be '}' or ',' at 12:3
        Line 486: [20:26:00.899] [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /projectiles/explosions/fieryflaskexplosion/fieryflaskexplosion.projectile, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /projectiles/explosions/fieryflaskexplosion/fieryflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 535: Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: bad object, should be '}' or ',' at 17:3
        Line 555: [20:26:00.912] [Error] Duplicate projectile asset typeName fieryflask. configfile /projectiles/throwable/fieryflask/fieryflask.projectile
        Line 556: [20:26:00.919] [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /projectiles/explosions/electricflaskexplosion/electricflaskexplosion.projectile, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /projectiles/explosions/electricflaskexplosion/electricflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 605: Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: bad object, should be '}' or ',' at 13:3
        Line 625: [20:26:00.964] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/acidflaskexplosion/acidflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/acidflaskexplosion/acidflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 625: [20:26:00.964] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/acidflaskexplosion/acidflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/acidflaskexplosion/acidflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 626: [20:26:00.986] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/fieryflaskexplosion/fieryflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/fieryflaskexplosion/fieryflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 626: [20:26:00.986] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/fieryflaskexplosion/fieryflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/fieryflaskexplosion/fieryflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 627: [20:26:01.008] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/electricflaskexplosion/electricflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/electricflaskexplosion/electricflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 627: [20:26:01.008] [Error] Could not read projectile '/projectiles/explosions/electricflaskexplosion/electricflaskexplosion.projectile', error: (AssetException) Error loading asset /projectiles/explosions/electricflaskexplosion/electricflaskexplosion.projectile
        Line 660: [20:26:04.177] [Error] Could not load recipe /recipes/craftingmedical2/buffs/sludgeflask.recipe: (ItemException) No such item 'tarliquid'

Line 146: [20:26:00.469] [Error] Exception caught loading asset: /projectiles/explosions/toxicflaskexplosion/toxicflaskexplosion.projectile, (AssetException) Could not read JSON asset /projectiles/explosions/toxicflaskexplosion/toxicflaskexplosion.projectile
    Line 235: Caused by: (JsonParsingException) Error parsing json: bad object, should be '}' or ',' at 16:3

Basically means at line 16 character 3 you've buggered something up. Ah so on and so forth for your projectiles

Line 660: [20:26:04.177] [Error] Could not load recipe /recipes/craftingmedical2/buffs/sludgeflask.recipe: (ItemException) No such item 'tarliquid'

Your recipe is requiring an item that doesn't exist.

Finally https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1485814730

Naming conventions and why you should care. Long n short of it, in the front of your items/protectiles pick some unique word or lettering to add to it to ensure no one ends up having an "itemname" that is the same as yours.

What if someone else makes an icyflask... and calls it icyflask. BAMN your mods will conflict.

20. TheTwilightDancer

Yeah I checked the log too and got the same thing, so at least I know where the problem is now. The configs can't read my explosion projectile type. I did a few other edits too where I forgot to change the name of something so hopefully those mistakes are also fixed. :rofl: And yeah I did figure that out too about the sludge flask, I fixed it by taking the "liquid" part out of it. I saw a file in Starbound folder called tar liquid so I thought it was the name of a liquid tar in the game, so apparently it wasn't. I am using solid tar for it instead.