Modding Discussion Heir of Magic

Discussion in 'Mods' started by mr.universe, Nov 17, 2018.

1. mr.universe

mr.universe Void-Bound Voyager

Hear me out here, it's a bit wordy and specific.

Thinking of a mod which swaps Abigail's gender to male (Abel, Abraham, something like that) and rewrites dialogues/references by other players/events to match. I would like to explore his magical heritage, beginning with a new 2 or 3 heart event in which the player overhears Caroline confessing to Abel that he is in fact the wizard's son, followed by a talk aside between the player and Abel discussing the the gravity of the news and his desire to connect with his true father/practice magic.

This could be followed up with a subsequent slightly higher level heart event in which Abel playfully practices a simple spell on the player during an encounter in the woods or the mine in an attempt to impress. The spell causes a comical yet unintended result, which Abel then frantically works to reverse. A spell to provide light around the player without a source which accidentally causes the player's hair to glow temporarily, for example, all the while trying to conceal his revelation from Pierre.

A later heart event could feature the player and Abel walking together in Cindersap Forest, wherein they happen upon an injured animal near death (bird, squirrel, etc.). Abel tries desperately to revive the animal but fails, leaving the player to console him. Abel then confides in the player that his lament is partially due to the way his life is changing and his increasing estrangement from Pierre. This gives the player the opportunity to encourage Abel to reveal the truth to Pierre and try to amend their relationship.

A late high level heart event could center around Abel's discussion with Pierre. Abel comes to the farm or sends a letter to ask the player to join him when he goes to confront his parents. Upon initiating the event, Abel reveals his secret to Pierre, and confesses that the player gave him the courage to address this difficult issue. (this could also serve as Abel's confession of his love for the player to his parents, with specific dialogue based on the gender of the player) Pierre and Caroline argue amongst themselves until Abel interjects, saying something to the effect of "you will both always be my parents, because you raised me to the man I am" which diffuses their conflict and ultimately strengthens their family bond.

I would even like to change the chores Abel does after marriage to unique, magic-related things such as:
    - If the player's health is below a certain threshold, Abel becomes agitated on initiating conversation, and either makes a life elixir to give to the player, or heals them directly with magic.
    - Upon waking, Abel tells the player that last night he was attempting to increase the growth rate of plants on the farm, accidentally turning a tree into a giant mushroom. (Automatically converting 1 tree to a giant mushroom, assuming the farm contains at least one mature non-tapped tree)
    - Upon waking, Abel exclaims his excitement that he was able to will a crop to grow larger. (Automatically makes 1 giant crop, assuming the farm contains at least one 3x3 patch of mature cauliflower, melon or pumpkin)
    - Abel revives all dead crops on the farm, assuming they are still in season (killed by lightening, etc)

These could be in addition to or in lieu of the default chores.

This mod would eventually include:
    - Portrait modifications
    - Sprite modifications
    - Dialogue modifications
    - Heart event modifications
    - Spousal chore modifications

I intend to work on this mod over time but I am virtually new to modding and would graciously accept any help or advice offered.

If you have some modding experience and would like to offer your help, let me know!

Baaahumburgler and morswordre like this.
    • mr.universe

mr.universe Void-Bound Voyager

Turns out editing portraits/sprites/dialogue isn't that hard, thankfully. Making good progress. Additionally, I hope I posted this request for advice in the right place. Working on custom events which I'm sure I'll get the hang of eventually. On the other hand, I'm having trouble finding info on how to trigger things such as exchanging a tree for a giant mushroom or forcing a giant melon/cauliflower/pumpkin to form.

Is there an xnb among the game's files which covers random events? I would guess I'd need to locate that in order to force one such event and tie it to a dialogue.
      Also, is there a way to trigger a specific dialogue based on the player's current health or energy?

Baaahumburgler and morswordre like this.