HD / Crisp Portraits?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by LLGold, Dec 5, 2019.

1. LLGold

LLGold Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Could any one tell me the proper way to re scale or change a full Hd drawing so when its the size of a SDV portrait it still looks clean and HD or at least dose not loos detail.

• hatmouse

hatmouse Subatomic Cosmonaut

The details depend on the software you're using, but generally you want to turn interpolation off in the scaling settings and stick to things like half the original size, then half that size, etc. It might not be called that in your editor, though. And don't let it anti-alias everything into a fuzz :)

• LLGold

i'm using PS elements and i'm still a bit unclear what I need to do to the image. no mater what I try the image dose not look good when it is the proper size that is I think 64 64 ppi. or dose each image have to be so small they do not look that small in game can they be larger?

• minervamaga

minervamaga Pangalactic Porcupine

You could try using Scale Up with Content Patcher.

• LLGold

thanks I looked into that and It makes my head hurt. I have no clue how to use that.

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

Are you an artist?

Long story short: SDV renders the game, and then scales it up 4x to get that "pixel" look.

I made the first HD portrait mod back then, when I realized I could skip the "4x" scale part and render portraits that had four times the resolution...

But I didn't found enough artists and stopped with the mod, eventually people released some other HD portrait mods, seemly the one that is most used is called "Portraiture" I didn't tested it though, I didn't like any of the HD portraits art released so far.

• LLGold

Yes I am. mostly self taught at least when it comes to PS and anything on the PC I'm not great with technical terms. I dew some portraits but Im not sure how to get them to look right . as far as I know they had to be scaled down to 64 x 64 PPI. https://www.deviantart.com/llgold/gallery/29702403/sample-folder
                so im not sure are you looking for an Artist or to help me?

• OrSpeeder

OrSpeeder Phantasmal Quasar

Kinda both I guess? I gave out info that might help you.

Still, my mod source still exists, if you are willing to create HD art (each portrait must be 4x resolution of original portraits) for every character and expression they make, we can attempt to release my mod with your art as the default set :)

• hatmouse

hatmouse Subatomic Cosmonaut

The original question seemed to be about how to scale art down to game-sized portraits without wrecking it. Mostly that depends on the original art and what your program does when you scale it. In GIMP you would turn off interpolation, in photoshop you might turn on/off resampling (is this relevant? I've never used it), that kind of thing.

If you want to use portraits with higher resolutions in game, ScaleUp and Portraiture can both do that. With Portraiture, you can put a folder of portraits inside the Mods/Portraiture/portraits folder, and cycle through them in game when you're talking to the villager in question. Scale-Up is intended to be used in content packs for Content Patcher (which can edit and replace various game assets).

So to use a bigger image for Abigail portraits in a content.json for CP, you'd do something like...

Code:
                    {
                      "Format": "1.10",
                      "Changes": [
                        {
                          "Action": "Load",
                          "Target": "Portraits/Abigail",
                          "FromFile": "assets/Abigail.png",
                          "ScaleUp": true,
                          "OriginalWidth": 128
                        }
                      ]
                    }

Portraiture is simpler on the "making" end, since you can just drop portraits in and switch between them, but CP allows you to do a lot of stuff that just work automatically (or even be animated via the Content Patcher Animations mod), so in that sense it is more versatile. (Plus it works on more than just portraits.)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
                    • LLGold

thank your for this information. Ill have to try some of your suggestions.