Hark, a Stable Update! v. Upbeat Giraffe

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jan 28, 2015.

1. pokeyoface

pokeyoface Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thoroughly enjoying the update so far

2. Galenmark

Galenmark Seal Broken

For anybody still suffering from "Runtime error's" I resolved it by updating my java, and re-downloading the game, it works! :) Though another question I must ask, I can't seem to get my old game up and running, I spent about a year building my complex and creating all sorts of amazing stuff, is there any chance anybody has come up with a way for it to work in the latest update. Any suggestions would be great! :)

3. Mr Hawksen

Mr Hawksen Space Hobo

I have a problem with starbound at the moment. I'm on nightly build and it's totally bugged out and Its just chaos. And I can't change to stable :(

4. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

Super uber cool uptate i really love it
    But those pink monster things that don,t stop spawning all the time under the boss fight is just evil

5. skruffythehobo

skruffythehobo Void-Bound Voyager

its stable but the first mission is bullshit on how hard it is with the top gear thats possible at the first level btw im talking about the erichus crystal mission

Titanium and General Nuclear like this.
  6. Galenmark

Galenmark Seal Broken

Drag! Just realized that your old games cannot work on Giraffe. Guess I'll wait for Chucklefish to create those conversion tools, otherwise I guess I'll wait for release.

7. ShockMonkey

ShockMonkey Void-Bound Voyager

Now this game need 200h+ champaign story, it would be blast!

8. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Nooooo that'd make it not a sandbox :lickitung::poo:

9. GorunNova

GorunNova Pangalactic Porcupine

I love champaign stories! They're so... bubbly. ^^

It is if it's implemented like a toy in a sandbox (i.e. there to pick up as you want). Hell, put several unrelated ones in to play with / accidentally stumble upon / seek out given a trail of clues.

Edit: Maybe not 200+ hour ones, though... <_<

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Sefercil likes this.
  10. Ysarun

Ysarun Intergalactic Tourist

Okay about the"Access violation detected at 0 (Read of address 0)" (numbers may be different at others)-error, that occurs during the loading screen: after updating Java, deleting starbound completely and reinstalling it multiple times, deleting the .pak file and verifing the data via steam and reinstalling it, also multiple times, and a lot of patience(yes a lot of patience, about 3 hours of hoping and struggling) it finally worked after the i guess 5th time of deleting and redownloading the.pak file in the assets folder.

my OS is Win 7 64 Bit btw if that helps the devs. and to everyone else with this issue: i know it's hard but just try to repeat the given solutions until eventually you succeed, like in my case, and if that doesn't work, hope for a hotfix very soon.....while deleting and reinstalling the .pak file. :D

Edit: I tried the "Launch Starbound" option btw. launching a server still gives me this access violation error. but i really don't want to restart the game just to see if that fixes the problem, now that i finally can play.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  11. ThaOneDon

ThaOneDon Parsec Taste Tester

Wut Starbound needs Java? Since when?

I'll try deleting the .pak 3-4 times see if it works.

12. WingofTech

WingofTech Big Damn Hero

I'll be quoting myself but here:

For Windows XP users specifically:http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/crash-on-start-winxp.89544/

As shown in section 32(of this thread),
    To extend on that here's a thread of others having this issue apparently: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/access-violation-at-0.89690/

and here:
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/access-violation-after-update.89542/

13. Titanium

Titanium Existential Complex

I began to really wish it had checkpoints during the third or fourth attempt I made with my friend. God, it's a long ways down there.

14. Sese

Sese Pangalactic Porcupine

I think something is updated again, Steam gave me an update right now.

15. ThaOneDon

ThaOneDon Parsec Taste Tester

Nope, still crashes.

16. StarScribe

StarScribe Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, it did... a very sneaky update without any patch notes. Hate when that happens. A forewarning or at very least patch notes would be nice. Only thing I noticed first was the new button in the launcher for experimental mode.

The worst thing about these kind of sneak updates in stable build are that it will totally wreck the flow of mod developers updating their mods... because many of them just updated and now all of a sudden people will start reporting to them that their mods no longer work for some reason... but when they look they wont see any notes saying game got updated again.

Sefercil and Snowpup like this.
  17. kamstew

kamstew Astral Cartographer

dude, what.... just go investigate the gate. what is hard to understand about that?

18. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

I think this last update has something to do with this 64bit OpenGL experimental launcher.
    Has it been there before? I don't recall seeing that before...

19. Snowpup

Snowpup Giant Laser Beams

It was there before for me, yes.

Cat656 likes this.
  20. WingofTech

WingofTech Big Damn Hero

I suggest it have many, many (bounty-hunting/ town-saving / shop-stocking) missions such as collect the head of this scientist and it would give you the coords of a solar system and planet and it would then take into account you have the quest when the planet generates (though i'm not sure at what point terrain is decided for each planet). And so maybe further into the game you'll become known as a specific type of hero either a seeker of justice or a greedy bounty hunter. The quests would also get to a higher difficulty level of planets the more notorious you become throughout the outpost/galaxy. The planet generation would mostly stay the same though so you still get a nice experience and have an optional story line. I also like the idea that some planets' citizens have heard of you some maybe NPC's could begin to recognize you through your reputation and depending on how advanced their civilization is since some are completely broken and wild and others are civilized.

On a side note i'd also really like to have the temperature return at some point as it kind of removes the point of ice planets. Just make it a little easier to make/buy clothes to keep warm since it still keeps the immersion up when you have to remember to put your snow coat on when heading into the biting cold.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015