1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Hamachi Multiplayer Server - Network Exception

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by sniisnii, Nov 11, 2017.

1. sniisnii

sniisnii Void-Bound Voyager

Hello, all!

I'm on the most recent, public release of Starbound on Steam. So are my friends.

For a while, I've been using Hamachi to run a multiplayer server for my friends and I. I cannot portforward due to it being generally impossible for me right now, so I've been using Hamachi instead. For a long time, the server has started up fine through starbound_server.exe, and I was able to host it for a couple of hours before shutting down for the day.

However, we took a break for a bit to play other games and what-not, and we've recently tried to pick the game back up. Unfortunately, it seems that I can no longer run the server through the .exe, and as far as I know, there is nothing different about my process or methods. I run the server and let it load, and then I try to enter it first.

The game does freeze for a few seconds, probably trying to find the IP or what-have-you, but then it comes back with an error message saying "Join failed! Error connecting to '[IP]:[port]' (NetworkException) cannot connect to [IP]:[port]: N". My friends also cannot join and are also seeing the same error message.

Without hosting through the .exe, we can connect through Steam, but it tends to get laggy the more people join and the longer the server is up, so I'd like to keep using Hamachi if possible.

I've tried seeing if it was my firewall, and as far I know everything necessary has been checked as an exception. I've googled this a ton of times, but the solutions I've found haven't worked and the rest just seem to be applicable to people who've portforwarded instead. I feel like I am missing something or maybe I've done something wrong, but I'm honestly confused as to what is going on.

I'm wondering if there is anything else I could possibly do.

2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Hamachi gets super unreliable after a bit.

My best suggestion is to try out Evolve. Its like Hamachi. But a lot better honestly

3. sniisnii

I had no idea Evolve was back up, thank you! I'll try it later tonight and update on if it works.

4. sniisnii

Switching to Evolve unfortunately didn't work. Still got the Network Exception error.

We tried having someone else run the server through Hamachi using the same steps I did, and it works for her. I suppose we'll just do that until a "true" solution pops up (or if we figure something out), haha.

5. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Evolve should do it tbh. As long as the person who has the server is hosting the party, and joining their IP provided by Evolve. But you have to be in their party.