Modding Help Hairs and hats behavior

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Minakie, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

So, I am having some hair/hat issues.

My test farmer always had small side pigtails and I loved that hairstyle, the problem was, when equipping a hat, most hats would change her hairstyle. One of the hats that would not change her pigtails was the straw hat. For that reason, I ended up always using the straw hat on my Beta Tester, and grew fond of that style.

However, I had dozens of hairstyles because I had merged pretty much every single hair mod I could find into one. So I finally decided to edit the hairstyles.png and take out the hairstyles that I didn't really use (and took the chance to reorganize them as well).

When I went back in game, this was the result:

[​IMG]

Equipping the straw hat was now modifying my pigtails haircut into a long hair hairstyle. I tested most of the hats (CJB item spawner ftw :D) and over half of them is now having the same effect, even hats that were not changing this particular hairstyle before.

So I must say right now I'm ubber confused. Can someone explain to me why this happens and if there is any thing I can do to fix this and prevent it from happening with this (and possibly other) hairstyle?

hashbrowns likes this.
    • Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

It has to do with how the game handles hair styles and hats, if you have a hat on, the following hairstyle changes apply:
      • Hairstyle 3 will be 11 instead
      • Hairstyles 18, 19 ,21 and 31 will be 23 instead
      • Hairstyles 1, 5, 6, 9, 11, 17, 20, 23, 24, 25, 27, 28, 29 and 30 remain unchanged
      • Excluding the ones mentioned above, hairstyles 0 to 16 will be 30 instead
      • All other hairstyles not previously mentioned will use hairstyle 7
      That is the complete breakdown of the logic used to draw the hairstyle when you have a hat on.

Machado likes this.
      • Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

Omg so complex and... confusing xD
        I wonder why is there even such a system in the game, it seems to me that it would be easier to just keep the hair has it is, rather than having certain hairs replace other hairs. Makes me wonder if this is something CA intended to implement or not really.
        In any case, I will try reorganizing my hairstyles again according to this. Thanks for the info. :)
        (you seem to know everything about how this game works, haha)

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

I am certain that if you check the vanilla file, that hairstyle 11 is identical to 3, but does not have any upper parts that could stick out of a hat.
          The same likely will apply to other hairstyles that it changes.
          The issue appears when you use custom hairstyles that do not follow CA's logic, and weird stuff happens.