Modding Help hairColorAsBodySubColor help?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by 1412, May 27, 2017.

1. 1412

1412 Void-Bound Voyager

I'm tying to make a race mod. I'll spare you the details, but at this point I'm pretty sure I need to get the bodySuColorAsHairColor thing working. I've taken a look at the hylotl and glitch code but can't quite seem to figure out how it's supposed to work. Can anyone give me a simple explanation? It has become very clear to me that I havent the slightest idea of how to get it to work myself...

For reference, this is a moth-themed species. it's got a beard of fluff along with some other fluffy bits on its hands and feet, and some antennae. There's only pone style of beard so I've figured out how to get it to recolor the beard without interfering with anything else (except hair color, which occupies the same slot as beard) but I'd love to get the fluffy bits and antennae the same colors.

Tell me if you need any files; I'm new to this whole modding thing and don't know what to upload.

2. projectmayhem

projectmayhem Spaceman Spiff

I havent looked into this before, but I would say it has something to do with this part....
    "bodyColor" : [
    { "ffca8a" : "f0f0f0", "e0975c" : "b1b1b1", "a85636" : "747474", "6f2919" : "4c4c4c" },
    { "ffca8a" : "d0d4e9", "e0975c" : "90a0cc", "a85636" : "566b86", "6f2919" : "314354" },
    { "ffca8a" : "f6cccc", "e0975c" : "d57979", "a85636" : "98464d", "6f2919" : "632530" },
    { "ffca8a" : "f9f9e9", "e0975c" : "d3d075", "a85636" : "938341", "6f2919" : "5f4d22" },
    { "ffca8a" : "f3d9b8", "e0975c" : "d49c6f", "a85636" : "995c44", "6f2919" : "643024" },
    { "ffca8a" : "e1f6c8", "e0975c" : "9fd776", "a85636" : "4e9944", "6f2919" : "2c6424" },
    { "ffca8a" : "ecd2f2", "e0975c" : "bc8dd0", "a85636" : "70528b", "6f2919" : "412e59" },
    { "ffca8a" : "f8e7f8", "e0975c" : "dca1dc", "a85636" : "9e5a9c", "6f2919" : "683267" },
    { "ffca8a" : "ffffff", "e0975c" : "d5d3d8", "a85636" : "7d7d89", "6f2919" : "515151" },
    { "ffca8a" : "949494", "e0975c" : "696969", "a85636" : "434343", "6f2919" : "0f0f0f" }

e0975c is the "paint" from what I can tell. SO, if you have your fluff color all the same, and you have it listed second, like it is on glitch, I would say it should work for you

3. Cyel

Cyel Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The option you need to use depends on what you've set your "fluffy bits and antennae" as; there's multiple options like that, that define either which option (button) changes what, and which option's color's used for which other thing:
    Code:
      "altOptionAsHairColor"
      "altOptionAsUndyColor"
      "altOptionAsFacialMask"

"headOptionAsHairColor"
      "headOptionAsFacialhair"

"hairColorAsBodySubColor"
      "altColorAsFacialMaskSubColor"
      "bodyColorAsFacialMaskSubColor"
    Are all the ones I could find, there's possibily more, and I'm guessing you can substitute anything like <firstBasicColor>As<optionalColor>; so for example, you could have
    "hairColorAsFacialMaskSubColor"?

From http://helmet.kafuka.org/sbmods/howto.html (note: some things there might be out of date):

(As to "what to upload", it's generally useful to upload the given file that doesn't work (here your .species) or at least, if you don't want to share it, a snippet of the parts that are relevant (here, the options I've mentionned + the "colors" thingies mentionned above, probably). If the thingy crashes (eg. for a weapon or a Lua script or...), uploading or pasting (in spoilers) your .log file (in /starbound/storage/starbound.log) usually provides useful informations)

4. 1412

1412 Void-Bound Voyager

okay here was the original plan:
    Fluffy bits set as undyColor, along with the beard. hairColor can be just regular hairColor, that's fine. That kind of stopped working because for some reason the beard wasn't affected while the fluffybits were, although I suppose I could have made an error somewhere

Current plan was to set fluffy bits as UndyColor and have that change the hair color too, with different beard colors, but I've looked at that a bit more and realized that the option that controls that also controls beard selection and hair color, so that's kind of moot. Thankfully I don't necessarily have to have different kinds of beards or there'd be an entirely different problem there.

thanks for the advice regarding what to upload, by the way. and for the general advice from both of you because it all works now! part of the problem was that it wasn't all the same color, and another was the fact that I was relying on undyColor for this in the first place. Granted now the headOption is unused (would've cut out the middleman and used that but for some reason it kept crashing and I'm too satisfied with this solution to go back and figure out why) but I can probably add more fluffybits of a different color for some contrast.

here's a current screenshot by the way. if you don't mind could either of you give your feedback on how I could make this look more mothlike and/or just generally better? I feel like as it is it just looks like a weird human with fluffy gloves and shoes.
    workingBug.jpg

Cyel likes this.
  5. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

Mind if I jump in for some visual advise? I think that increasing eye size and altering the antennae would help out with the whole moth-like vibe.
    Here's a quick edit to show you what that might look like:

Untitled-2.jpg

1412 and Cyel like this.
  6. 1412

1412 Void-Bound Voyager

ooh yes that looks good! Thanks for the advice. Antennae are gonna be a bunch of different styles but more forward antennae like that is a good idea. Same with the eyes! Experimented with a larger size already but your style looks so much better! Thanks a ton. You don't mind if I use these right? I'll be sure to credit you when this is finished.

7. Nemasys

Nemasys Cosmic Narwhal

I don't mind at all. Glad I could help.