1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Guys, chill out.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeriga

Zeriga Phantasmal Quasar

Apparently you haven't played Garry's Mod.

"What's this error?"
    "YOU DON'T HAVE WIREMOD? GET THIS FIVE YEAR OLD OUT OF HERE!"

Or been on Facepunch.

"Guys I don't know how to play Garry's Mod."
    "(User was banned for this post "Crap thread" - garry)"

Elate, butters742, Flan and 3 others like this.
  2. Draken09

Draken09 Black Hole Surfer

That does sound a tad extreme...

3. Zeriga

Zeriga Phantasmal Quasar

Facepunch and Garry's Mod have some of the most abusive community members. However there's always some light in the darkness. You can find some really nice people on Facepunch, and on Garry's Mod. In fact I'm pre-ordering a four-pack for a few Gmodders/Facepunchers so we can all play together.

Litagano Motscoud likes this.
  4. brackstone

brackstone Space Spelunker

Couldn't agree more. I know I'm new to these forums but I've never understood why this is an issue. I frequent motorcycle forums and _every_ spring you get a _TON_ of new people coming on and asks the SAME question.

Topics like:
    What bike should I buy? Is this too many CC's for me? How come it keeps stalling out? Tips for Shifting? Will this bike ride on the highway? High speeds scare me! etc etc etc etc etc

Forums are about communication. Nobody should _ever_ expect someone to have to re-read all old forum posts before allowing them to speak.

5. brackstone

brackstone Space Spelunker

6. Donseluke

Donseluke Phantasmal Quasar

As was said in earlier post. I was a moderator and eventually a senior admin for a decently huge game, that used to have standards. We would ban people for rudeness and general misbehavior. And it was all on a case by case basis. The reason i won't mention the site, or the game is because i really don't want anyone to have to see how the staff have turned. Its all backwards now, with the new users coming on and the staff trolling and being rude. It got to the point where i had to say something about it. Then they decided they were going to strip me of my responsibilities and ninja edit my posts to ruin my reputation.

For those of you who may not know what ninja editing is. Its where someone with administration privileges edits someone's post and ticks the little box that says. "Do not show edited by"

They used that to allow everyone to think the posts were original and such.

A community that is like what i stated above in this post, and what the other gentleman stated about the facepunch community, can not, and should not be allowed to culture here.

Nvse, Flan, Zailiner and 3 others like this.
  7. Draken09

Draken09 Black Hole Surfer

It's sad to think that there are cases like that, but all we can do is prevent that from happening in other forums, such as here.

Zailiner, Donseluke and WoxandWarf like this.
  8. Donseluke

People think its just the cool thing to be a troll community these days. I have no idea why. I guess ultimately we have places like 4chan to thank for it.

9. fallingorbit

fallingorbit Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Civility costs nothing and buys you everything.

10. Squigles

Squigles Title Not Found

thanks for that molly, i am newer here "ive watched the server and fourms for months but i just recently made a fourm account" and i have seen some member being mean to others who dont know some of the more common things

11. T-Bone Biggins

T-Bone Biggins Phantasmal Quasar

That won't do a thing considering people can make free forum accounts. Sorry to break your illusion of a perfect world. I personally got around IP blocking with almost no effort in another forum years ago, I can imagine it's even easier now.

Don't forget most rude and abusive behavior can be traced to others nagging on a particular individual until that individual breaks, if the goal is to be honest and fair then you trace those people down. Each incident can have several 'threads' you must follow to get to the root and this will be overly time consuming, so the idea won't work well if at all when implemented in this manner. If the goal is not to be honest nor fair, then the idea should be scrapped completely because it will make the dev team look much much worse. Any dev that trashes their community loses a lot of sales.

12. Donseluke

Thats why they should hire more forum mods. Lots of upstanding forumites here could even volunteer for it.

13. T-Bone Biggins

Won't help. No one is more motivated than a troll who really wants to troll, and they will get around the bans with free emails and new accounts. And from what I've seen the community has grown to the size that it would be inefficient to have enough mods. More mods also equals more chance of getting a D-Bag mod who only wants to project their power over others beneath them, this is why mods from the community itself are always a disaster over a period of time.

14. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh I thought Starbound didn't have an elitist community. Oh well, guess i'm leaving.

15. T-Bone Biggins

:facepalm: I normally would have said good riddance but yeah, this is the problem here. This guy could have just not posted at all. Nope, he had to make a statement. Everyone has to make a statement around here anymore. Therein is the flaw, no matter how many mods you got guys will toss jabs and do barely not enough to get banned. Over time this will rot the community more and more and mods won't help. Also, ironically he sounds elitist just from that post.

Elate and WoxandWarf like this.
  16. Donseluke

Thats why they invented the I.P. Ban, no amount of free emails will fix that. But you have a point on the dbag mods though. Thats why i personally think the dev team should hand pick them and have someone from the dev team keep an eye on the mods that are picked.

And people may be able to ban evade by flushing their I.P. but that's essentially the mods job to watch for that, and issue another ban. Sometimes doing an I.P. range ban works well, it even works to the point where you can ban countries from viewing forums.

17. ZephyrSpark

ZephyrSpark Big Damn Hero

I stopped playing lol since i cant win. Then again i suppose the object of LOL is to be had by other players anyway.
    I apparently suck for buying characters and spending money on a free game(even though its those sales that keep the game free in the first place) and then I suck even more by playing characters that are bad.(if they were so terrible why would they be in the game if they didn't have a specific use?)

18. Maybe this has something to do with it...

demon forums.png

I cant see why anybody on these forums would be rude... Personally I don't mind repeat threads. If you are bothered by a thread, just skim over it, no need to be rude :D

Kurogal, Serenity, Haku and 2 others like this.
  19. Spoolooni

Spoolooni Subatomic Cosmonaut

See you could have ignored me due to disagreement and perhaps prevent a flame-war, but you insisted in starting something and even took it into my profile page. I hereby proved something yet again.

20. fallingorbit

fallingorbit Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The best thing to do when you see a questionable post is to report and ignore it.

There's really no way to win a pointless internet argument.

Haku likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.