1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Guys, chill out.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by mollygos, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

He says to the woman. LOL

Flan, Suika Ibuki and WoxandWarf like this.
  2. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Well its not like I can know lol, its the internet. I also stand by that completely, girls can be confusing as I don't even know.

Haku and WoxandWarf like this.
  3. LongChan

LongChan Cosmic Narwhal

Ok, my views on this last part, not being purposedly rude doesn't equal being rude. I think telling people "you could have read the faq instead of asking" is unnecessary. Instead, directing them towards the faq like "You can find that and a lot more answers in the FAQ :), also, take a look at the forums and join the fun!" not only will make them think that we are mostly polite (which we actually are), also, they'll feel better. Besides, being nice is free, lol.

DaPeezi likes this.
  4. DaPeezi

DaPeezi Master Chief

<- has not been bashed although is a forum noob. Thumps Up :proper:

aaah, you are Guile!

5. T-Rex

T-Rex Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I knew you were trouble when you walk in!!! so shame on you now..... xD

6. Zeal

Zeal Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hopefully this community can handle that... Honestly it is mostly a impossibility when people are in a group NOT to do stuff like this. However it would definitely improve the quality of the community if people would learn patience. Especially in the suggestion area. I know a lot of people who don't want to post in the suggestion area because they are afraid of being bashed and surprisingly they have/had unique ideas....

7. HUcast

HUcast Void-Bound Voyager

I completely agree molly, the state of the community is not good. Not at all. Its because of the air of superiority people on the forums tend to have. People who are new and wanting answers are just as important. Yes they should look at the FAQ, yes people make mistakes. I've been to the live chat and offered my views on things to be called entitled and spoiled almost immediately after. Its silly. I really hope this place can get back in order.

8. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

I've been a member of this community for a few months and I have to say things are pretty positive right now!! When Molly made this thread it was pre-roadmap and pre-pre-order and people were getting out-of-hand nasty to one another. I don't think the OP was representative of the community as a whole, just the state of things a couple months back.

I'd lock this to keep it from being a continuing thread on how bad the community is. The pre-orders have brought a flood of new people and they don't need to see our old dirty laundry.....

Noc and WoxandWarf like this.
  9. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

I wish this thread was in every forum ever, haha. There's no need for bile from anyone for any reason really, but especially towards people who only want to get to know an awesome game and community better.

10. RichEdmonds

RichEdmonds Void-Bound Voyager

Could not agree more with this thread.

While I've been following the game for a while and have held a forum account since last year (if my memory serves me correct), I've hidden away and returned to find a minority almost taking it upon themselves to invent a new class within this community. But this isn't anything new or something unheard of. It happens on (almost) any and every public messaging board. While I too find it bothersome (note that I'm not using "frustrating", etc. as it's not) to see duplicate threads left, right and centre it's not the end of the world.

The boards are here for discussions to take place. Members either fail to use the search or haven't read 'stickied' posts, etc. So what? If the moderators haven't gone in with all guns blazing then it certainly doesn't give anyone else the right to literally spam the threads with requests for action or for members to utilise the search functionality. In a way they are the ones who are publishing content that isn't actually game related.

We've got superb foundations here. I really hope we don't lose the Starbound magic that's once felt by everyone who learns of the project for the very first time. But then I'd also like to point out that there's not much to discuss in general. I'm not criticising the development team at all, but perhaps we should get more content to show the community? Drive more discussion to help fuel hype and get everyone excited once again? Perhaps Tiy will answer this call.

Eh, my $0.02 and was rather bored.

11. LongChan

LongChan Cosmic Narwhal

I don't think the community is in such a bad state. I enter the IRC channel quite a little bit and despite some people getting overly defensive sometimes, I haven't seen much rage or flame wars. People tend to keep it quite cool, in my opinion. The occasional discussion rises from time to time, but I don't get the feeling this is a rude community. Perhaps, as RichEdmonds said, some people would ease up if more info were released. Retaking old habits like the occasional Tiy's streamings or posting monster images, asking people what do they think about the state of the game and so on might help not only to keep people focused on the game, but to have some more insight about what people like about the actual game mechanics.
    I think you shouldn't be afraid of spoiling people's games, molly, since Starbound is such a vast experience that even if you made 2 videos every week, the game would feel brand new for everyone. After all, Monolith Soft made a bunch of trailers on game mechanics for Namco X Capcom and the game sold decently (its major flaw was the high volume of text the game had, aka "Super cool story bro".

On a side note, molly, I challenge you to take on Atronachs bare-handed in Morrowind! I'm sorry, this seemed like a good chance to write that :rofl:.

12. Spacedino

Spacedino Ketchup Robot

How did you come up with that now? Strangely enough, thats what I did after I finished the game for the first time...

13. Haku

Haku Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't know what the deal is with a lot of users on forums, just seems to be a repeating problem over the internet in general. If it's not folks being rude and snarky to newbies, they are being that way to people they don't agree with or people that are 'different' from them. Such as the *cough* suggestions forum. People can't enjoy posting suggestions and being creative without being badgered, receiving petty accusations and discriminating comments (at least in the race suggestions).

Zeal likes this.
  14. FrumpyB

FrumpyB Void-Bound Voyager

As Mahatma Gandhi once quoted King James, "Everyone has big balls on the internet."

But in all seriousness, people tend to not care about their caustic effect on others when they don't have to confront them. From PCs to cell phones, the attitude is everywhere. :confused:

Haku likes this.
  15. LongChan

LongChan Cosmic Narwhal

The internet is dehumanized, my friend. In a world without rules, we must be our own judges and that seems to be too hard for some people. I have been told "welcome to the internet" several times when I have complained about some people's disproportionate behaviour towards other people or myself. I don't think anyone has to swallow on that or "deal with it", we all deserve the same respect from the net that we get when walking the street, period.

WoxandWarf, Haku, Shippo and 3 others like this.
  16. Ianuarius

Ianuarius Orbital Explorer

There can be rules in the internet too. And mods make sure the rules are followed. If you just completely shut down all rudeness with one day bans etc. then the place will be a paradise. You're not gonna satisfy everybody, but if you tiptoe around rude and abusive people, then you'll be digging your own grave.

You have to be the boss on your own forum like so:

1) If you're rude/abusive/offensive we will notice.
    2) All rudeness will be punished with bans.
    3) If the rudeness continues the bans will turn permanent.
    4) Have a nice day! :)

You're watching over a huge online community. It's your responsibility to make sure you don't allow this rude and abusive behavior to go further.

17. ikangurameGG

ikangurameGG Space Penguin Leader

Bullies just like being bullies, you know. Bullies think with their higher level of experience makes them think that they can just pick on newbies.
    These cases happens everywhere, everytime.

18. icepick37

icepick37 Phantasmal Quasar

I do not know that it is always bullies. I think more often that not it's just thoughtlessness.

19. Ianuarius

Ianuarius Orbital Explorer

Well, there's one remedy that works for everything.

icepick37 likes this.
  20. kuddin

kuddin Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Community rude?!?! :D hahahaaha I guess he hasn't played League of Legends :D

ZephyrSpark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.