Modding Discussion Gun Damage Mod

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Kaede Grimwater, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

I am wondering if there are any mods that buff gun damage. it feels like guns take two or three whole energy bars to kill enemies, while melee weapons can kill enemies with ease. This is made even worse by the fact that enemy spawns are such that I can find myself in 3v1 to 5v1 fight. It made me wonder if I should just give up guns completely and just focus on melee weapons.

2. JT`

JT` Phantasmal Quasar

I was playing around with this on my own end some time last year (although I was also trying to reduce the sameness of randomly generated weapons). There are, unfortunately, only two ways:

1) Create a large series of .patch files that change the baseDps setting in various rangedweapontype.activeitem.patch files. If you're interested, this was the balance I had settled on:
    I got all the way through the common, uncommon, and rare procedurally generated vanilla weapons and the ones from Expanded Weapon Generation before I took a look at the Frackin' Universe ones and basically said "naff it, I'm out".

The other problem that became readily evident is that the game just isn't really designed for high-ROF weapons. Aside from being lag guns, they also tend to pathetically underperform for some reason: effective DPS seems much lower than actual DPS. A machine pistol that hits 18 DPS with extremely rapid fire versus an assault rifle that hits 25 DPS at moderate fire should reasonably take 25~33% more time to kill the same target. However, I tend to find that it takes double the time; I'm not sure what the explanation for that is, mechanically.

2) Change the damage multipliers by patching the /leveling/levelingmultipliers.functions (which affects all weapons, not just ranged weapons).

Eventually I settled on this option, since melee weapons should tear you a new one if you're not careful.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Kaede Grimwater likes this.
  3. Kaede Grimwater

Kaede Grimwater Existential Complex

I see. Thanks for the advice.