1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Guiding yourself throughspace with objects

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Palicence, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Palicence

Palicence Void-Bound Voyager

Should we be able to fly through space if our mech is destroyed? I think we should be able to use objects in our inventory to guide ourselves without a mech, like throwing rotten food (what else am I going to use 200 roten food for), or using weapons to guide ourselves. Flying through space.jpg

2. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Hm
    I thnk that'd fit more in suggestion, but that is interesting anyways x)

3. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Throwing items doesnt make much sense. Sure it works in real life, but you don't gain much reletive speed. Additionally, you could just trash the rotten food like everyone else.

Some sort of recoil from guns would be nice. Small enough to be negated by friction in gravity, but enough to gain speed in space.

Rookas likes this.
  4. whipping post

whipping post Cosmic Narwhal

both the drill spear and spears with the rocket spear secondary can already be used to do this

5. Neonir

Neonir Big Damn Hero

I feel like guns (especially ones like rocket launchers and whatnot) could do something like this, but it'd be a whole lot of extra coding work and would invalidate the importance of rocket spear/drill spears, which I suddenly care a lot about after having spent 3 days finding a drill spear.

On a much more important note however: what in the heck are you wearing????

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

1. http://starbounder.org/Larva_Mask

2. Rocket launchers will have next to no recoil. Most recoil from weapons is a result of the bolt being forced back, not by the projectile being shot. In a rocket launcher, the firing of a projectile is not forcing anything back. Rocket launchers are just fancy tubes with electronics in them to trigger the rocket.

7. Palicence

I have never tried to use a rocket spear because I don't normally use close range weapons, but if I find one I will try it.

Also I am wearing a larvae head with disguise outfit, and dyed butterfly wings.

8. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Rocket spears are amazing for travel, but they can also be used as a mid-range flamethrower-type weapon anyway.

9. Valyriax

Valyriax Big Damn Hero

Drill spear + Low gravity effect = flight

10. Palicence

I have never found that thing.

11. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I don't quite understand why we ahould preserve the "only drill spears are useful" ideal. We can keep drill spears as a functional, quick thing, while also having ballistic weapons apply force.
    Not flamethrowers though. They should be disabled in areas without breathable air, but I unfortunately don't think that can be done.

12. Palicence

I agree with you entirely, but I took the picture for comedic affect.

13. noobsqoou

noobsqoou Big Damn Hero

For my newest character, I have found myself using a rocket spear to make my way to friendly ships and stations because the starter mech is so friggin slow.

Sometimes I make a sort of game where I thrust my mech in the general direction of the dock, get out, and then rocket spear to the dock, just to see if I can make the mech land there on its own without missing.