1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[GUIDE] Multiplayer w/ Hamachi

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Velcrohead, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Bearminator

Bearminator Subatomic Cosmonaut

2. NitrousNetworks

NitrousNetworks Intergalactic Tourist

For sure, remember we host it 24/7!

3. Takahiro86

Takahiro86 Aquatic Astronaut

Strangely for me it was my FireWall blocking the Starbound server... (somehow without mentioning...)
    Now it works fine for me and my Bro's:).
    and here is a nice site for those who have some Multiplayer Server problems (where its not the FW).
    http://starbound.indiegameswiki.com/wiki/Server_Setup_Guide

4. Spleen

Spleen Orbital Explorer

Hey guys. I was also having troubles with connecting with my friends on his hamachi server and i was getting very frustrated. In the end it turns out all i really had to do along with the other steps posted (Thanks for that guys) was to just simply restart my PC. I am not sure if this will help everybody but its worth a try right? Hope this will help a few of you out ;).

5. se05239

se05239 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well, I finally got the server to work by running starbound_server as administrator.
    Still cannot join friends, but friends can join me.
    They are experiencing some kind of lag though..

6. Cirom

Cirom Cosmic Narwhal

Why would people use Hamachi when COMODO Unite does exactly the same thing (Hosts on a VPN) except with unlimited people in a free group :T (In fact, COMODO Unite doesn't have ANY premium features - it's all free!)

Hamachi is really overrated, imo :T

7. xcatx

xcatx Aquatic Astronaut

Thanks for the quick guide ^^

8. Thansk for this, I'm sure I'll be playing with a few people who will find this useful.

9. ghostcatalyst

ghostcatalyst Space Hobo

I was going to get one, but only European servers??? lol

10. NitrousNetworks

Oh are you US?

11. ghostcatalyst

ghostcatalyst Space Hobo

Im In Canada but US servers are fine.

12. NitrousNetworks

Ah right, you want to try a test server in EU and see if its okay?

13. ghostcatalyst

ghostcatalyst Space Hobo

How do I go abouts to do that?

Sorry I'm very new to this genre of game and how this all works.

14. Kodiak

Kodiak Aquatic Astronaut

This happened with me and my friends on Terraria, check and make sure Windows Firewall is turned off and see if that helps

15. HalfTube

HalfTube Yeah, You!

Hey me and my friend could join my multiplayer session but we cant find each other, i thought he would spawn on my ship but he spawned in his ship, so how are we supposed to find each other??

16. se05239

First, invite him to your party by pressing that + button under your character portrait.
    Then, when he has accepted, simply ask him (or do it yourself) to right click your portrait and beam to your ship. Easy as that.

17. Nitro_Taco444

Nitro_Taco444 Void-Bound Voyager

(only if using hamachi) If you are having this problem go into program files (x86) then the folder titled steam then the folder named SteamApps then the folder named common then Starbound then assets then scroll down to default_configuration.config scroll over until you see upnpPortForwarding change it from true to false.

18. se05239

I actually managed to fix my problem!
    My friend and I can now play together without any lag on each other's servers, but we decided to play on mine.
    I made a new rule within my firewall, allowing port 21025-21027 no matter what, and then we stopped using hamachi. Bam! Working like a charm.

19. Vixxd

Vixxd Space Hobo

Hey guys, I was gifted the game for Xmas :D I'm trying to set up Hamachi too and I have:

- Created a network and passed on the IP address to friends
    - Got them to download the client also
    - Set "upnpPortForwarding" : false in default_configuration.config

All being well I should be good to go, but every time I run starbound_server.exe I get the following:
    [​IMG]

Any ideas?
    - I get this error when Hamachi is opened and closed.
    - I get this when launching from the client or directly from B:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound\win32
    - StarBound is intalled on my HDD (B:\), my OS is on my SSD (C:\) - thought it would be worth mentioning as this has caused a mountain of problems for me in the past two days with some other applications.
    - I have added public/private exceptions for starbound_server.exe in Windows Firewall.
    - This machine has a clean install of Windows 8.1 as of Christmas Eve, and I installed the game straight after.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  20. WoodenSpoon

WoodenSpoon Space Penguin Leader

Thank you so much for this, I couldn't get a lan server working and this worked out just fine!