Guide: FrackinUniverse (SB 1.0+)

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Xylia, Jul 24, 2016.

1. lai03

lai03 Void-Bound Voyager

how do you power generators?

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

This guide is super outdated, but assuming generators work the same way as they always did, you simply wire a generator up to a battery (red = output, blue = input), and wire the battery to your powered machines. If it is a combustion generator, you can use coal, oil, or some other flammable material. Simply open the generator like you would any container and drop the fuel in the slot, same goes for the other generators. The fission generator uses radioactive fuels, and the quantum generator uses biofuels.

3. lai03

lai03 Void-Bound Voyager

Apparently it still works, thanks for the advice good sir/maam

4. Ferrius

Ferrius Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks, I always better to learn the order to things, rather than figuring it out by mistakes.

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I really do need to get a new version of the guide up, lol.

I just started a new playthrough, hopefully I don't get side-tracked in the middle of it yet again.

It's hard, though, doing a guide of FU these days, because of the ridonkulous number of OPTIONS that you can do, and you can even mess with the order of stuff you do, so... I'm not sure a guide is even feasible... but I suppose I could throw together a general tips&tricks type thing.

6. Ferrius

Ferrius Void-Bound Voyager

Let me know If I can somehow, help. Maybe pics, or maybe writtig. Whatever.

7. Kitchen Gun

Kitchen Gun Space Hobo

Hi, I also started with this mod a bit ago and I wanted to let you know that even though this guide is outdated it is helping me quite a bit.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I'm surprised by that, pleasantly so!

I figured the guide is probably so outdated that it really wouldn't be much of any help because of how much the mod has changed since I wrote it. I'm glad to hear that it is still of some help even today.

9. Kitchen Gun

Kitchen Gun Space Hobo

Ayy (o-o) No problem.
    Edit: there is supposed to be a pointing emoji after both parentheses to make a little face :/

10. mars1913

mars1913 Big Damn Hero

How can i switch off my power generators? i tried batons, livers, switches. Sorry for my English. Screenshot wold be nice.

11. AngleWyrm

AngleWyrm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How/where does it show the size of the planet?

12. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

It doesn't now, sadly, ever since 1.3. You'll just have to glance at the size of the planet in the nav console view and just make a guess, and AFAIK, Gravity is more or less normalized now except for super-dense worlds? I am not entirely sure about that though.

But yes, outdated guide is outdated.

13. Gwydion

Gwydion Intergalactic Tourist

Hello! I understand this guide is super outdated, but I've been more or less following along with parts of it as I've recently graduated from vanilla starbound to FU, and it's amazing. I had two questions I was wondering if you, the original author, or maybe some other knowledgeable user could help me with? First off, mutavisk bandages. I can't figure out how to make them. I have bio-thread, and I can purchase them from my ansible network, but they don't appear in the crafting options in my bio-chem lab (or anywhere else I can think to look). Secondly is about power. I'm getting to the point where I need lots of power for my stuff, and I'm not sure how to get sustainable power sources. Solar arrays/towers/panels don't seem to output enough, and the generators higher than combustion all require fuel that's pretty hard to come by. Any tips/suggestions? Thanks for the guide, though--outdated as it is it still provided some really useful context/info so I wasn't jumping in blind.

14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

1). Mutavisk Bandages are now in the upgraded Medical Station. Start by building an apothecary and upgrade it twice. You will need Mutavisk Thread and something else... I forget what. I wanna say Genetic Material, but I am not 100% sure on this.

2). You can use Cheap Lights from your Pixel Printer (you need to find and scan one or pick one up first) to place Solar Equipment. Place the Cheap Lights near the solar equipment. I recommend Cheap Lights because they are one of the smallest, but brightest (and also quite common to find) lights around. You should easily be able to get maximum output from Solar with these, assuming you are not building too low elevation (700+ is enough).

3). You could use Combustion Generator with Oil. Oil is super easy to get (find a tarball and put a flag on it) and it doesn't take that much oil to fill even the mid-tier batteries up.

15. Gwydion

Gwydion Intergalactic Tourist

Thanks so much for the information--I appreciate it. Your info has been super helpful with not being totally overwhelmed by the sheer content of FU.

16. Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I'm trying to finish the Dark Caverns quest from the FU mod and I seem to be stuck. The top door won't open for me at some point. I checked a video () and the person manages to open it by using their spear on it, but it won't happen for me no matter how often I hit it with my weapon or throw bombs at it. Anyone knows how to solve this?

17. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That is actually my video, lol.

And I don't open that door by "using a spear" on it. If it is the door I think you mean, you throw a bomb so that the bomb lands close enough that the explosion hits the door. Could you provide a time marker, so I know which door you mean for sure?

18. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

Use a rocket launcher :D

19. zoklyinkling

zoklyinkling Void-Bound Voyager

19 January 2021
    Just a suggestion, you might try putting a few visuals in as well since some people would find visuals helpful in certain scenarios. I am a person who works well either way. I have a few friends who I know like Starbound and are having issues understanding some of the guides out there. One of my friends even said there weren't enough visuals. anyway, it's just a suggestion don't work yourself too hard. (I can't come up with an inspirational quote from any authors so I'll leave the quote blank)

Postscript:
    Your guides are very helpful, and I can tell more than a decent amount of work was put into this. Great Work.

Jade A. Fenwe

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

This guide is horribly, horribly out of date, sadly.

I've not had the time or focus to really keep up with Frackin'Universe; they have a team over there now and the mod is rapidly expanding and I don't even know half of the content IN the mod. This guide was written multiple years ago and the mod is probably 5x as large as it was back when this was written, and a lot of the progression systems have changed, and so on.

I thank you for the feedback and should I attempt another guide, I'll keep that in mind!