1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed [GUIDE] Fix for low FPS on high-end computers

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Sykes, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArcadeScholar

ArcadeScholar Industrial Terraformer

Yes, I disabled the steam overlay. I deleted the steam files in my regedit, I changed starbound_opengl to starbound and renamed the default exe something else. I've optimized my graphical settings through my cards control panel. I've also set everything to run as admin and made sure compatibility was clicked off.

Thanks for the reply!

Emrenezu likes this.
  2. nathan00107

nathan00107 Zero Gravity Genie

I should be getting 60 FPS smoothly aswell. Read what I said before.

'There is an issue with Steam at the moment where it interacts weirdly with Starbound. The developers have stated in their release stream that this issue is reducing performace by half. They are aware of this issue and are trying to fix it.'

3. nathan00107

I guess we have to play the waiting game until an official fix is announced/released.

4. ArcadeScholar

I didn't read that before, I'm sorry. Thanks for pointing it out! As I mentioned I'm not too worried about it now as that part of the hello kitty band-aid treatment comes in phase two of the beta. I can play now at least, and that's enough. I did find it strange that my pirated copy preformed better than the steam copy. So I figured there was something up with the steam integration in general.

5. ArcadeScholar

25-30 FPS on the planet is pretty playable to me. I just move toX3 zoom when I enter a dungeon and town and for the most part it's playable too. It's just the little things right now we have to do to play. No biggie.

6. Gouki

Gouki Subatomic Cosmonaut

I get 15 fps when playing during rain at a more complex building ( like the prison ). On a high-end'ish rig! On a graphically mediocre (at best, not talking about the art-style btw.) 2D game.

vanella and Emrenezu like this.
  7. MrHeartless

MrHeartless Space Hobo

I tried switching the starbound_opengl exe with the default exe and I think that may have fixed it for now, constant 60 FPS.

8. nathan00107

Because Im using a radeon care, should I be using openGL?

9. Shoutism

Shoutism Space Hobo

Worked! Thanks man, I appreciate it. Now when I get near huge buildings and flying ships my fps doesn't drop to like 10.

10. UltimaGrant

UltimaGrant Intergalactic Tourist

wow, thanks. it worked. fps still isnt perfect but i was running at 5-15fps before, now it seems to be 40-50 or so when its calm, sometimes drops to 30 with enemies, but still so much better than it was, thanks so much

Edit: after playing for a bit, it actually runs perfectly, thanks again!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  11. skunkix

skunkix Seal Broken

A friend with fps issued could manage to make the game work whith this

tnx!

12. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

I"ve posted it in a couple other threads, but the DRM protection on Starbound (through Steam) is an option, not a forced thing, and the devs can choose to disable it :> It would free all of us from these Steam-related issues and let us focus on pure Starbound-specific bugs..

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1 Here is a list of already DRM-free games available on Steam :>

13. Hawke Winter

Hawke Winter Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Surprisingly to me, this actually worked. After 6 or 7 other methods that had no effect whatsoever (though messing with how many cores ran the program had some...amusing effects), this finally got it. Thanks so much for the post!

14. HeroicDoge

HeroicDoge Aquatic Astronaut

Did everything listed nothing helped

AMD FX-4300 3.6GHZ Quad core.
    650 Nvidia 1GB
    8 GB DDR3 1333mhz
    1680x1050

WIN 7 Home premium

15. Hugshot

Hugshot Space Hobo

Thanks for the help, turns out that my steam was running all my games in Windows Vista mod, no wonder the game was lagging! :rofl:

16. stefrele

stefrele 2.7182818284590...

Err... just to be sure i don't break something in my computer. I don't have the exact same path listed, should i delete the Steam related key or not.
    Mine are in ..../CurrentVersion/AppCompatFlags/Compatibility Assitant/Persisted.

I don't have a /Layers after the \AppCompatFlags.

Would appreciate if someone can answer me. Thanks!

Edit: My spec are:
    Win7 Pro Sp1 64bit
    Intel Core2 6600@ 2.4ghz
    2Gb Memory
    HD6850 Graphic Card

17. Furinex

Furinex Phantasmal Quasar

Nvidia 690 GTX
    FX 8350 @ 4.4ghz
    32GB @2400 RAM
    SSD Drive
    Windows 7 Pro 64 bit

I get 20 FPS consistantly, tried, didnt do anything.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  18. milty456

milty456 Space Hobo

All of my compat settings were already cleared out. This did not help. I have a win7 x64 laptop. CPU i5 2.3 ghz with 4gb of ram

19. Sykes

Sykes Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

What's your graphics card?

20. Legacy83

Legacy83 Space Hobo

Worked like a charm ! Thanks a million ! ^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.