1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

[Guide] Advanced Wiring Guide

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SeaJay, Dec 24, 2013.

1. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

If you find the airlock in the OP to be a bit too much, TrueEdge made a good simple one.

The Squid likes this.
  2. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The Squid likes this.
  3. Severite

Severite Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thank you for your reply, I started wiring in Starbound a few days ago, and while I have been able to figure out how to do most of the stuff I want to do, I couldn't figure out a way to make a toggle switch (USCM fingerprint scanner or Outpost keypad) act as a momentary switch (tiny wall mounted button). I have them daisy chained so that pressing it once, will turn it on, and either going to the other button, or pressing the first one again will turn them off. I just feel rather limited by the aesthetics of the tiny wall mounted button, and have been trying to figure out a way to make it work. I also set a MUCH simpler system for making an airlock, but for that one I just set it up so that multiple imput's would turn off/close door while opening the next one.

Honestly, I would love to find a play by play on how to build the airlock on the OP.....I'm not at that level, frankly. It kinda just shoots over my head, I'm afraid.

4. SeaJay

SeaJay Space Kumquat

I've invented a new kind of decimal counter that is much simpler than the "BCD+decoder" strategy, and is just as fast. It uses a ring counter to express each digit in one-hot encoding. It didn't occur to me to do it this way earlier, because this is a really stupid way to do it IRL, but it works well in light of Starbound's wiring mechanic (in which latches/flipflops are cheap, and OR gates are literally free).

I'll write it up in the OP soon. The old method will be demoted to a spoiler section.

It's a tricky machine and assumes a lot of knowledge from the earlier sections of the guide. Maybe later I'll build another one and capture the whole thing, but I probably won't write a guide.

Chrillzilla likes this.
  5. distrance

distrance Void-Bound Voyager

I wonder if I could get some help with something I'm trying to accomplish .. All this advanced wiring stuff goes way over my head. What I want is several doors to open up in sequence, with a set duration after each other. What SeaJay posted here helps me accomplish 1st portion of this which is actually creating delay as the delay gate isn't yet in game .. But, how do I chain this up to a second set of switches?

My friend suggested me to connect the Output of the door switch (the sws seen on the right next to the door) into the Inverter on the new 2nd set of switches. Tried this, and built the rest like in the picture. Doesn't work. When the signal hits the fourth switch and opens up the first door, the 2nd set switches start going on/off but they never stop. The door switch itself never gets power.

There's probably some super simple answer to this but yeah .. I'm really at a loss. Help would be appreciated.

6. eladreamus

eladreamus Big Damn Hero

Hi, awesome stuff, do you know how to make a multi input system like an XOR, I am making a fire alarm type system. Have I gone to complicated or is there a relatively simple answer i have overlooked?

7. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

Now, if this answer isn't helpful, I apologize, because I've been up all night...but have you tried hooking up the output of each door to a delay circuit that connects to the input of the next door?

8. Dragon_Tom005

Dragon_Tom005 Existential Complex

I like your design for the Airlock. I hope you don't mind, but I've taken the liberty of building off of it, to a style, of my own. This is what I resulted with. Both sides have a slight delay. and with the Spigot mod, I've made it so the Airlock fills with water first, before the door opens.

[​IMG]
    I've also edited the way the button works. Instead of everything all linking up to the switch it's self. I've made all the stuff link up to the timer set to 2 (as seen below). It makes moving things around, super easy. So if (for example) say I was not happy with where my buttons were. Or maybe I wanted to replace them with smaller or bigger ones, I can do that and I only need to hook the button up to the timer.
    [​IMG]

9. Katadeus

Katadeus Void-Bound Voyager

This is all beautiful work. I am nowhere near as well-versed in this stuff as you are, but I did manage to create a sequence-sensitive combination lock on my own through sheer dumb determination. It's not as visual, but my achievement is in making it effective as a ship lock in multiplayer, assuming you've put in a dungeon shield generator switch thingy.
    The issue remains, however, that it is impossible to fully obscure the workings of the lock from a player's view, due to the possibility of a player using a zoom too great to be avoided. Still, there are a few things that I did to get it close.
    I took input from the buttons first into persistent switches to make sure the players could not see what point in the sequence of the combination they were in, since I used a linear progression type deal to process whether each input was correct.
    I implemented some basic override capability from the cockpit, to ensure that if I wanted people to be able to get in, they could get in, and if I wanted to keep people out regardless of them knowing the combination, I could do that as well.
    While yours is very clean-looking and easy to reprogram, the linear structure of mine allows for the incorporation of longer combinations. I was able to fit all the workings of a seven-digit sequence lock pretty easily into the entrance room and topmost room of an avian ship. At some point if I'm feeling particularly gumptious I'll do it on another ship that will not allow the sneaky lookers to see the workings unless they go beyond the default max zoom out, or maybe have a longer sequence and a larger grid.
    If anyone wants to see, I'll send pictures. I don't like giving my combination away too freely.

10. Dragon_Tom005

Dragon_Tom005 Existential Complex

Maybe if you'd like, I can do a step-by-step tutorial for you? :3

11. MelOzone

MelOzone Pangalactic Porcupine

Howdy'!
    Since I'm real slow on things, I've stumbled upon this thread only now. Surely you guys know how to shock a person who's just mastered a T-latch on its own :)
    Anyway, since Basic Wiring Guide introduced (hopefully) its readers to the general nomenclature of schematics, it would be good to see those for any examples found in this thread. Schematics are mostly more illustrative for learning than wiring screenshots (not if I had anything against that).

12. Nate McCloud

Nate McCloud Existential Complex

This is nothing particularly advanced, of course, but thanks to this thread, I discovered a few things about wiring elevators...
    1. To manually operate an elevator, place Tiny Wall Buttons (or any other pulse-emitting, manually-operated buttons) in reach of both exits of the elevator, then wire them to an SWS, and wire the output of the SWS to the elevator. Press either button to move the elevator in either direction (e.g. if it's up, and you're below, press it once to call the elevator, then again to go back up).
    2. If you need to cascade elevators to get up/down an especially long distance, wire the output of a 5-second timer to every other elevator in sequence and to a NOT gate, then wire the output of the NOT gate to the rest of the elevators. The elevators will briefly pause at each floor to allow you to walk onto the next one.

13. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

This is incredible! I ve actually been more focused on getting buildings well polished... but a good wiring would make them infinitely more fun

14. Shadow86

Shadow86 Pangalactic Porcupine

Belatedly, I made a really simple automatic airlock on my own a few days ago:

The airlock room obviously needs two doors, one on each side, as well as a drain and a liquid sensor.

The outer door is connected to a proximity scanner, which is outside the airlock.

The inner door is connected to a NOT switch, which in turn is connected to the liquid sensor within the airlock.

That's pretty much it. The outer door will open whenever you're close to it, and the inner door will remain open as long as there's no liquids in the airlock. The drain will clear it whenever it floods and the outer door closes behind you.

15. MelOzone

MelOzone Pangalactic Porcupine

That's exactly what I created T-latch for, since SWS essentially IS one.
    Anyway, I highly recommend building stuff with low-level elements, at least at first. Gives you the feel and helps getting the grasp of things.
    Been there, did that. Bad idea.
    Proximity scanner is triggered by any living creature, not necessarily the player. It may be an NPC, a critter or a hostile mob. If it gets stuck in ya door, ya'll never get out without blasting a hole in your wall.
    Of course, you can complement your airlock with nice automatic miniguns, but using something other than proximity scanner is way simpler.

Nate McCloud likes this.
  16. Shadow86

Shadow86 Pangalactic Porcupine

I've had some issues with fish triggering the outer door, it's true, but I had no space on my submarine to add more circuit bits. Things are expectedly cramped. :p

17. Xelistren

Xelistren Void-Bound Voyager

After about a day of work I finally got my 32bit lock to work on my door thanks to your guide. Been too long since my training in it I guess I forgot too much. Good refresher in the game though, might recommend for people to get the game just for this system if they are going into the navy as an Electronic Technician.

18. TheEye

TheEye Seal Broken

how would you build a circle of lights. Lets say 6, first the 1st light turns on and then off and when it turns off the second one turns on and so on and when the 6th one turns off the first one turns on i think i would need to use a latch to remember if the light whose on and a not switch connected to the output of the latch and maybe a and switch before the latch for every light ??? It would be awesome if someone could help me finish this project :D. Thanks in advanced!

19. TheEye

TheEye Seal Broken

I did it :D, i used 6 latches (5 where on at the start 1 whose not) and connected the in of the not to their out and the out of the in to the light. Then i added 2 delays to every latch out to delay the turning on of the next light. Then i connected the out of the second delay to the beta of the next latch and so on. Finally i added a small wall switch and connected its out to the alpha of every latch and its done :D.

But there is a small problem when i teleport away to my ship and if i left the mechanism on and come back it gets messed up i do not know if its a bug ore something else. i think the latch is not remembering which one is charged and when i teleport back they all get charged if you think its something else please suggest a fix.

20. TheEye

TheEye Seal Broken

the latch gates are bugy will report the problem. Know when i turned of the mechanism and saved the game and loaded back in the gates are broken they are charged but do not light up i know they re charged because the not gates that are connected to the out of the latch are turned off and i cant fix them, the only way to fix them is to remove them and place new ones.