1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue green bar issue (this requires more than just a driver change)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by nightmare1243, Nov 13, 2020.

1. nightmare1243

nightmare1243 Intergalactic Tourist

i have the green bar glitch woooooo me well here's the kicker with mine I cant roll my drivers back since my laptop isn't even a week old they came with the current drivers as a standard and I haven't the slightest clue on how to fix it iv tried downloading the newest driver updates to see if there was a patch even got the experimental tried other bug fixes like turning off Vsync and messing with resolution but still nothing I have no idea what to do or where to go from here please help EEE.jpg
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eeeee.PNG

edit: after some digging and i know its been a few months iv come to conclude its an issue with 10th gen drivers and that there is no way to fix it so if you have 10th gen drivers I don't recommend buying this game or FTL

second: iv come up with a small theory and well unproved I think it might be an issue with the engine chucklefish use to make and run their games on as its only their games that I'm having issues at least of this version there is one other game however the issue there is different the game in question is planetary annihilations: titans and with that I can see everything fine but every once and awhile the screen flashes black and after 2-3 seconds comes back with the green and black bars then fixes itself

third: I have an idea as to why this is being caused however I'm nowhere near an expert in the topic of computer hardware/software and how chucklefish codes their games but I think that 10th gen drivers run a separate type of video driver format then standard formats and they have it standard well other drivers didn't have it at first which is why old ones can be rolled back and the game works fine well 10th gen are stuck with it, if this is the case then it would explain as to why these games are having issues as it means whatever engine or coding format used to actually run the game is having collision issues with the display drivers for example, the game may be locked to a set range of colors the standard 64x64bit color system however the newer drivers are designed to support higher grade monitors with a noticeably larger color range and its causing issues and cant figure out how to display the game, which would actually explain the green black and pink fade lines aka the green bar glitch, however this means its not just a driver issues but a code and display issue as I bet there are some people who have 10th gens CPUs BUT have higher grade monitors to accompany them which could explain why the bugs never been replicated or noticed by their debugging team cause I have a feeling they use high end CPUs with 10th gen drivers but have 200-300 monitors and so the game doesn't have the issue. THIS IS ALL A THEORY I CANT PROVE NOR DO I HAVE THE EXPERIANCE TO CONFIRM THIS!!

fourth: After some thinking I actually think I confirmed this theory as when the issue happens in planetary annihilations I get a black screen and when it loads back its noticeably darker for a second which I have a felling is cause of the display not registering the colors right and whenever a refresh happens it has a stroke and freezes up trying to figure out what exactly to do but instead just displays the UT-OH default colors and reverts back to the original state of the display

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  2. Kurakkuheddo

Kurakkuheddo Space Hobo

I have the same problem,if you find out how to fix it pls tell me.