1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Greatest thing you did today on StarBound?/ Something you found awesome?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Kyon, Dec 5, 2013.

?

How many hours did you play today?

Poll closed Dec 7, 2013.
  1. Not much.

9.6%
  2. A decent amount of time.

27.4%
  3. I'm still playing, but I just dropped by here to see what's up.

37.8%
  4. The only place I've been besides my PC today is the bathroom and the refrigerator.

37.0%
  1. Kyon

Kyon Contact!

For me, it would have to be just playing the game in general. I can honestly say that I have never-ever sat down and played a game so long before. It's so engaging that I couldn't stop. Now it's like, 1:00 AM over here and I started around the moment the game was released.

Anyways, in actuality: I wrote a small beginner's guide for the game today, just to help out people who were having confusions about the game. It's up on steam if any of you are confused about what to do, etc etc. It's simple, a little quirky, and probably not the greatest thing ever, but meh: If it helps, it helps.

For me, the coolest thing about the game was the music. No joke, the ambience as well as the music in the background just made for a so much more compelling experience. For instance, surrounded by dark in the caves and suddenly battle music starts rolling and WHOOSH~ Enemy out of nowhere. It's all those little things that get your heart pumping and keeps you sharp. I absolutely loved it. Every time that battle music starts, I can't help but feel like a badass.

Anywho, what about you guys/girls?

2. DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, I played for 7 hours today. 0.0. That was too much.

I first started off on a poisonous looking planet with plants for trees. It was really brutal finding wood. I finally went far enough to the left and found some plants with branches, and that gave me wood. I'll admit, the enemies were more difficult than i was expecting. Getting used to the idea of hitting something with a sword three times then last hitting with the bow was an adjustment. It was cool though.

After dying a bunch and making some stuff, I tried a new character, the Hylotl (now my total favorite!) and found an abandoned Apex facility. Planted some crops (vegetarian) and just quit for the night!

Loving it!

edit: ^^

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  3. GCarlos33

GCarlos33 Starship Captain

Well, I fought the first boss... and of course, I died three times before I gave up and started exploring other planets. Made my ship into a cozy wooden house and all that, then I fought some monsters to get pixels, then my game crashed out of all sudden and now I'm here.

4. The O5 Director

The O5 Director Big Damn Hero

Teamed up with some friends and strangers to beat the UFO boss.

Went to a level 15 planet.

Got wrecked.

Greenfinger likes this.
  5. Kyon

Kyon Contact!

Ahh. Thankies. Edited~

Greenfinger likes this.
  6. Shuichi

Shuichi Subatomic Cosmonaut

I found an Ape settlement where an NPC used a particularly similar quote of Skyrim's that shall not be named. I also just had my jimmies hella rustled from getting insta-killed by a poisonous large canister thing. The ones that twirl and give you stuff like Glow/Speed/Jump boosts. I tried so hard, and got so far, but in the end it didn't even matter. :cry:

Ariskelis likes this.
  7. Kyon

Kyon Contact!

I see what you did there.

Sorry about that though, I know those feels~

thejam94 and Shuichi like this.
  8. Cuchilain

Cuchilain Phantasmal Quasar

I beat the saucer, and i found 2 avian dungeons on the same barren planet. crazy crazy amounts of pixels in them (8k) and i got a double jump tech! (pulse jump) FREAKIN AWESOME game. This is the day Terraria died.

Greenfinger likes this.
  9. Kyon

Kyon Contact!

You and me both. After playing this, I'm not ever sure I can face Terraria anymore. It just seems so....lacking, now that I've played this.

Greenfinger likes this.
  10. Cuchilain

I would also like to add, that i find this game to be very balanced and refined. I had to use a strategy against the UFO. Not just build an exploit or spam a certain weapon or potion. And when the boss fight did turn into a bullet hell of bullets and rockets, i was able to skillfully dodge and fight and heal. Its truly refined.

Greenfinger likes this.
  11. DawnOfNights

DawnOfNights Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Found a trumpet! Music here I come!!!!

Also discovered some really neat underground biomes, like a fungus cave and a purple sand one

12. Cosmin Negoita

Cosmin Negoita Phantasmal Quasar

Far away from my home (beaming point), I found a temple. I think the ones that continuously killed by shooting me with laser rifles are avians. Funny thing and sad as well is that I'm an Avian too :( These guys have no respect for their race!

Greenfinger likes this.
  13. I found a drumset!

Greenfinger likes this.
  14. Misteropie

Misteropie Phantasmal Quasar

First thing I tried to do: Open it on a Mac.
    Second thing I did: Throw a chair out the window because it won't open.
    Third thing I did: Post this here before looking into bug reports.
    You could say I'm pissed, but I'm more then that. =D

Greenfinger likes this.
  15. Cuchilain

i just found my first diamond ore

Greenfinger likes this.
  16. Threndsa

Threndsa Orbital Explorer

Found an Apex research station. Guard was being a jerk so I was planning on using some dirt to climb over and be on my way....Then I saw the stasis chambers, torture beds and mutant Apex on the top floor and decided this place needed to be shut down. Ninja'd through the complex sniping the guards with my iron bow. Looted and ransacked the place then went on my way. Got the snazzy scientist outfit im wearing in my avatar a TON of chests (storage shelves and lockers) and about 2,5k pixels

Greenfinger and Jhago like this.
  17. Knavery

Knavery Subatomic Cosmonaut

I built a tower of blocks to space. Took a lot more than I thought it would, and about 5k blocks later I started freezing to death. No amount of torches or campfires helped, so I suppose I hit the height limit.
    Woo space! Also, found a keytar.

Greenfinger likes this.
  18. Dust

Dust Giant Laser Beams

Spawned a chef on my ship, then stabbed him to death just to see if I could. It was glorious, then being a Floran, I of course, ate the chef, haha

19. XaoG

XaoG Ketchup Robot

Me and a friend went and dove into an underground Floran base with little more than starter gear, and just the two of us, ransacked the place. Died a couple times, but was pretty damn fun.

20. MahBucket

MahBucket Cosmic Narwhal

I explored a cave and found a cave filled with slime and pools of water that poison you. There was also cell matter growing out of the slime that I haven't found the purpose of yet.
    Now that's what I call gourmet! :iswydt:

thejam94, Drayo10 and samaran123 like this.