Modding Help Graviton Beam Emitter from BLAME! (You code, I sprite)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Reactorcore, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Reactorcore

Reactorcore Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey,

A GBE from the BLAME! manga in Starbound would be awesome. So here is a spritesheet I made:

[​IMG]
    (The above one is Zoomed 2x, use the one below for actual modding)

[​IMG]

For those who don't know, the Graviton Beam Emitter is a gun that is capable of outright annihilating anything in its path and is know to cause 70km long holes in terrain. Read the manga to see it in action: http://www.mangahere.co/manga/blame/c001/2.html

Use the sprites in any way you want, no credits necessary. I only care for there to be a GBE mod made. :up:

Tell me what you need and I'll try to provide. C&C also welcome.

EDIT:
    Added version 2.2 of spritesheet with a shorter version of the ingame gun, that is more accurate to the canon GBE.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Hatsya Souji and severedskullz like this.
  2. DoomFire

DoomFire Existential Complex

I 'might' be able to give this a go. Though keep in mind that I haven't made any weapons before.

Can you tell me about how you're expecting the gun to work in-game? I can't really discern from your sprite sheet. (I read up to chapter 5 in the manga and couldn't really figure it out.)
    Also can you make it a little clearer what each part of your sprite sheet is, I can figure out some of it, but I am a bit confused about what other things are.

3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Its a 2 projectile system - the Orbs are the muzzle flash
    The projectile is the actual shot.
    Pistol charge up animation ( use buster as ref )

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    G.Xyon likes this.
  4. carriontrooper

carriontrooper Existential Complex

In BLAME canon, that gun makes 7 km holes in its uncharged mode. It shoots out a laser-like beam (think thick line) that obliterates whatever's caught in it.
    So yeah, tune that down and we got a GBE. I think there's a mech mod or two that uses beams already.

5. Reactorcore

The spritesheet has a bunch of alternative/extra sprites that gives you more choice over what you think suits better.
    Like carriortrooper pointed out, it actually fires a beam, but since I don't know of the limitations of th Starbound modding, I added the projectile sprites just in case.

For the way I dream of it working is this, there is a simple version and an advanced version:

SIMPLE:

• Its a semi-auto pistol.
    • Pressing the trigger fires a single-shot projectile/beam that deals 9999 damage, goes through terrain and destroys terrain to create a 5-6 tile high tunnel.
    • It will also feature a muzzle flash and a firing sound effect. I can provide that sfx in case you don't have a fitting one for it.

ADVANCED:

• Its a charge-up single-shot beam weapon, so the longer you hold the trigger, the more powerful (bigger) the beam it fires.
    • It has 5 states of charging, that each increase the width of the beam's effect, starting from 3 tile wide tunnels create by a single beam, to 10 tile wide tunnels at max power.
    • If you hold the trigger up to level three charge and then let go, it will fire a level 3 shot. If you just tap the fire button, it will fire a level 1 shot. Charging time for the first few levels is short, 1-5 seconds and the latter charge levels take longer, like 10-20 seconds.
    • It uses the sequence of gun sprites from left to right either the ones on the top of the spritesheet or the ones at the bottom. Which style you prefer is your choice.
    • While charging, it can optionally use a charge up animation to show lightning coursing from the back of the gun to the front using the 2nd effect sequence on the sheet.
    • Alternatively, the 1st effect sequence can be used in front of the weapon to visualize it charging up. Optional too.
    • When the gun is fired, there is also a progressively stronger recoil kickback that will push the player backwards. The effect is more powerful and noticable on higher charge levels.
    • Visually, the weapon looks like it fires a very thin beam, but the actual effect of the projectile is wider than how the beam appears:
    • (Bonus points if you can figure out some crazy distortion effects shader for the beam.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also some videos of the gun in action (as interpreted by others):

Either way, knock yourself out in doing the gun in any way you like. If you're a modder and like the sprites, feel free to use them anywhere you want, no questions asked. : )

Hatsya Souji and The | Suit like this.
  6. The | Suit

For a standard gun you can get 2 states of charging.
    For a tech based gun you could probably pull of 5.

I can walk you through the basics of modding it in - that way you can make more guns your self later on

7. CecilNailo

CecilNailo Void-Bound Voyager

Soooo basically you want a gun that when you shoot it the bullet will destroy everything in its path and/or hit your ship out of orbit/ go around the planet and hit you in the back of the head. lol as long as it kills all monsters with it. Oh and destroys planets

8. GROVER CURES HOUSES

GROVER CURES HOUSES Void-Bound Voyager

I'm fairly certain you can do almost anything w/r/t projectile spawning from an attached lua script.

Necro or not, that Sanakan cannon <3

9. Reactorcore

...yes. :lickitung:

The | Suit likes this.
  10. timo903

timo903 Void-Bound Voyager

Hey~

HEY!

Has anyone actually made this? If not I could certainly try my hand at it. I've literally never made a mod before but I could certainly give it a go.

11. timo903

That offer couldn't maybe still be open? I'd love to learn to mod in Starbound

12. The | Suit

13. timo903

14. Reactorcore

And I totally still want to see a mod of the GBE being made. You need more sprites or edit them, post here and I'll hook you up.

Thatchy likes this.