graphic improvement with HQ-filter or Super-Eagle

Discussion in 'Other' started by XeToRoG, Apr 26, 2013.

1. XeToRoG

XeToRoG Void-Bound Voyager

I really like 2 play Starbound once it's finished.. the blockyness reminds me on good old snes.
    But .. PLEASE take a look @ Z-Snes improved graphic filters! Maybe you can write equal good ones for Starbound ?

I know it's hard to compare since snes only got a resolution of 256 x 222 pixels.
    But please decide on your own (www.zsnes.com):

In my opinion some of this filters (especially super-eagly or HQx4) would improve the quality HUGE !!!
    I mean it doesnt just blur or so it somehow adds details where they should be :)

Please check the images in full-size.

edit: current idea/status:
    View attachment 33289
    View attachment 33290
    View attachment 33291
    View attachment 33292
    View attachment 33293
    View attachment 33294
    View attachment 33295

2. From sudden, that would be AWESOME. It would please both type of gamers, who like the "bits" style, or not! ;)
    This may worth it after launch, a lot of my friends don't like the pixel style would come to play Starbound then!

F-Dog, DeadlyLuvdisc, Jedesis and 2 others like this.
  3. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

I don't see why not, but only as a post-release feature. It's something optional and purely cosmetic so I think it should wait, plus starbound's graphics style is good enough and might not work with something like this. Graphics don't make the game anyway so you shouldn't be THAT concerned with it, Starbound will be a good game either way.

4. Ruinas

Ruinas Void-Bound Voyager

I frankly dislike the filter, it looks like it just blurs the pixel art and makes the game look worse, in my opinion, all though if they added it I'm okay with that I just wouldn't use it.

Jedesis and KuroHinotori like this.
  5. XeToRoG

WOW, i found the code :chrono: !

http://code.google.com/p/hqx/

please dev-team use it ... else i have to write my own shader :/
    trust me within the snes it just looks so awesomo ... once you put it off .. it just feels wrong :proper:

if you are interested i can do some testimages from starbound - i do it anyway :ninja:

6. masher14

masher14 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe as something fan-made after it's been released, but I feel like this would be going against Starbound's art direction. The old SNES graphics looked that blocky due to the limitations of the era. Modern games like Starbound, Fez, Cave Story, Minecraft, etc. look they way they do because a conscious decision was made.

If they implemented this, they wouldn't be "improving" the game's graphics because this is the art direction they chose from the start.

But again, something like a texture pack would be nice for those who prefer something less blocky.

7. XeToRoG

Sadly i dont have the original source-images. So 'cause of rezising a few pixel-lines are missing :(
    So if you find errors it's not the filters fault ... i just can't pixelaccurate resize at a factor of f.e. 0.37 :/
    Anyway this results are waaay better as i did expect ... i mean it's just a filter if YOU dont like you dont need to use.
    Just watch the UI .. it looks so much better. The small text .. hmm donno.

original-screenshots:
    ofOpG.png screen.png uhu3C.png
    edit: new images bottom

wdyt ?

8. Passarbye

Passarbye Phantasmal Quasar

i like the images, but i think this should only be optional and a post-release feature. good thinking! :up:

Jedesis likes this.
  9. masher14

masher14 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It looks nice.
    It'd be an easy feature to implement and because it'd most likely be optional, it'd attract people from both sides of the argument.

KirasiN likes this.
  10. XeToRoG

Tried it with Terraria @ 800x600 pixel (400x 300 is native resolution of the blocky part)

orig / filtered:
    hollow.png / hollow_2.png

If i aquire the filter on the finished image the detailed parts such as text, items and spells get way worse as it's original. (because of the resizing problem)
    So i guess if this filter should look good the developer have to install it.

I 'rendered' the text this time after i deployed the filter:
    hollow_2_combined.png -> same in 1200x900: hollow_1200_hq3.png
    (http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?attachments/hollow_1200_hq3-png.33014/)

Refiltered some images, now each pixel should be calculated right:
    4cUJz_hq3.png 8qfqj_hq3.png Lab11_hq3.png ofOpG_hq3.png
    screen_hq3.png Starbound_hq3.png uhu3C_h3.png

Direct comparison:
    starbound_cmp_orig_HQx3.png

DuB, DeadlyLuvdisc, Jedesis and 2 others like this.
  11. KirasiN

KirasiN Existential Complex

Personally it blurs things too much for my taste, but this would be really useful for some people I know. Having it as a graphic option in-game would be a pretty good idea! You have my vote.

DJYawe, Jedesis and KuroHinotori like this.
  12. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

Not bad actually, but honestly though, chances are:
    Some people will like it's smoothness.
    But some may despise it's water color like shadings.

Jedesis likes this.
  13. KuroHinotori

KuroHinotori Spaceman Spiff

It should still be post-release. In my opinion everything looks off in those pictures, it just doesn't feel right. If you don't like the graphics style then wait for a texture pack but honestly even if starbound looked as blocky as those SNES photos It'd still be a good game.

Jedesis likes this.
  14. KirasiN

KirasiN Existential Complex

On release, post release, doesn't make much of a difference, this is just a filter for which the source code is available, it would take them less than a day to implement it, and maybe 2 more days to optimize it/fix issues caused by it.

However I doubt it's needed on release. No matter how blocky/pixelish the graphics will be, it's a fresh game and most people won't care.

Jedesis, KuroHinotori and XeToRoG like this.
  15. Yup the game for sudden get's all "smooth", something like it was Painted.

Even if DEVs doesn't make this an option, I hope the code be moddable enough for someone make this happen. :lolwut:

16. Graham

Graham Subatomic Cosmonaut

Looks cools, more like a painting, similar to Dishonoured's textures. If it's simple as sticking a filter on top rather than re-drawing everything I think they should try it.

Jedesis, XeToRoG and KirasiN like this.
  17. Evangelion

Evangelion Supernova

It just kinda makes things look like they were drawn with a paint tool in MS Paint...

I mean personally, I prefer the sprite pixels and such over this.

Jedesis and KuroHinotori like this.
  18. Axerron

Axerron Phantasmal Quasar

Yea, the blurring is too strong. Pixelated graphics have their own charm and tbh I even like Chrono Trigger better with its original "blocky" graphics ;) But it's certainly possible that somebody will make a mod for those who want to use filters :)

Jedesis, KuroHinotori and Stoltverd like this.
  19. Stoltverd

Stoltverd Big Damn Hero

It would be cool. But to have the option to turn it on and off.
    Personally i prefer the retro style (And starbound is supposed to be retro-styled), but i know some of my friends would prefer the "polished" style.

That being said, i dont like very much how the characters look with the filter. I love the scenery though

Jedesis and XeToRoG like this.
  20. XeToRoG

@Stoltverd: Yes think exactly the same. So i tried it this way: Filtered the background and then 'draw' the characters.

starbound_cmp_orig_HQx3_character_alpha.png image-link

_ _ _ _ _
    As i said with the Terraria images - this method is no 'better-graphic-win-button' and done :)
    If we just use this filter on the background i think we get improvements without blurring.

HQx is an magnification edge-detection filter. If the settings in the filter get changed/balanced the results may get even better.

This thread is just to let the developer know that some guys (at least i) wish for some kind of graphical improvement.
    Dont get me wrong: Graphic is not what Starbound should be build around!
    It's game complexity alone makes it worth playing - but if i can get more .... just think about :)
    _ _ _ _ _

8M7SkW6[1]_scaled.png community.playstarbound.com/index.php?attachments/8m7skw6-1-_scaled-png.33088/
    objectmoon[1]_s_scaled.png community.playstarbound.com/index.php?attachments/objectmoon-1-_s_scaled-png.33095/

chars_hq3.png community.playstarbound.com/index.php?attachments/chars_hq3-png.33101/
    As Kuro says the characters look too polished to leave room for imagination ... i guess thats what makes them look worse than the pixel-art. So i totally would enjoy some mixed-layer solution (like the first image).

Is there a way to get a developers opinion on this ideas?

DJYawe, F-Dog, DuB and 2 others like this.