1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Graphic glitches/tearing

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Christophar, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Christophar

Christophar Void-Bound Voyager

Curious if anyone else has had any? I'll try my best to describe it before I upload a screenshot. It basically looks like the screen is starting to tear half way down. Similar to vsync issues in a way minus the image instead of tearing is showing stars and a different image it is trying to tear. Very odd. I thought it was artifacts at first but I guess not. Graphics card seems fine, temps are fine, up to date drivers, tried a few others games and they worked fine. The issue is easiest to recreate at the Outpost where Esther first is.

Problem seems to happen on Fullscreen. Curious enough, windowed with Borderless gaming still gives me the issue, but the basic windowed mode without it is fine. If anyone has any help that would be wonderful.

Here are my specs just in case.
    Win10
    i5-750 @ 2.67 GHz
    4gig ram
    AMD 5850

2. SunHill

SunHill Void-Bound Voyager

I`m having the same problem. The bottom part of my screen is flickering/flashing.

3. Kazmahu

Kazmahu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Glad I'm not the only one experiencing this. In my case it's thick bars like VCR scan lines though. Nearly had a heart attack the first time, this is how my last GPU died.

4. Fenriskoll

Fenriskoll Void-Bound Voyager

I'm also experiencing this, however I was playing in fullscreen. It was also accompanied by frequent dips in fps. When I left fullscreen though, I haven't experienced the tearing/graphic glitches. So you guys might try this. No idea if it helps or not. Personally I would rather play fullscreen, but hopefully this is a temp fix.

5. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I've experienced this too, but only on the main menu so far (likely because I worked around it by going windowed). The bottom half of the screen (planet in the background and the nebula colors) flicker terrible and in random, broken patterns very rapidly. I can't get a gif because my recording program doesn't do fullscreen. This also only happens in fullscreen. I'm using my monitor's native resolution of 1600x900 and my graphics card is an AMD A10 7800 APU. It hurts my eyes a lot and it's very annoying in general. It is repeatable and happens every time I go fullscreen. I'm using the 64 bit version.

EDIT: Turning off VSync seems to have solved this for me... Of course it introduces normal screen tearing though...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    KiraSlith likes this.
  6. KiraSlith

KiraSlith Void-Bound Voyager

Issue confirmed here too, Shaadaris' solution works, but a tutorial will be more helpful for everyone involved.
    The issue appears to be with Radeon HD-series GPUs only, but it'll be fixed eventually.

To turn VSync off in the latest starbound you must do the following:
    1: Get to Starbound's folder by either
    a: Steam > (Right Click) Starbound > Properties > Local Files > Browse Local Files
    b: navigate to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound or C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound on 64-bit systems
    2: from there go to "Storage" and edit "starbound.config" with your favorite text editor
    3: Scroll down to the bottom and change " "vsync" : true, " to say " "vsync" : false, "

7. Sh0elace

Sh0elace Phantasmal Quasar

I experienced this also. When I first started up 1.0 and the tutorial loaded the bottom of the screen flickered white almost constantly. This was on my 1600x900 monitor in fullscreen. I tried using a program that made Starbound run in borderless window but the flickering was still there. I got around this by using my TV which is 1366x768. On my TV I didn't get the constant white flickering but I did get a different flickering of the lower half of the screen but only sometimes and I think in certain parts of the game. I tried again on my 1600x900 a while after finishing the tutorial and it is the same now as using my TV, only occasional flickering. It is bearable so I'm not looking for a fix.

8. Christophar

Christophar Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you for the help. I was really beginning to think I was the only one. Was about to wipe drivers and try new ones.I will try turning off Vsync instead. It's a shame though. I'd like to have it.

*edit* Turned off Vsync via config edit. Screen tearing is bad but I expected that with this game. I tried D3DOverrider for Vsync but that is hit or miss. Didn't work. Forced it with the AMD Catalyst Control Center. Didn't work at first but I just had to restart the game. Looks great and the glitch tearing is still gone which is the most important. That being said forcing Vsync can create mouse or input lag. I feel like I get a slight mouse lag now but for everything minus inv. management it can't be noticed much.

In case anyone has an AMD card and doesn't know how to do this. Open the CCC (should be in your system tray as well) Gaming tab, 3d app settings. 'Frame Rate Control wait for vsync always on'

Hope we get a patch or new drivers that can fix this. I would like to get the game vsync back over forcing it. Would be nice to have it in the in game options as well.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  9. KentuckyThyGrill

KentuckyThyGrill Space Hobo

The problem is still present. I haven't tried the methods since I just found out about this post. I know this is severely outdated but I thought making a post to let the devs know it's still happening to people with AMD.

10. Akarian

Akarian Void-Bound Voyager

I'm having this problem with my new PC. On top half ; tearing. On bottom half ; flickering( Only on ship). Only happens in Fullscreen/Borderless options. Not having a problem on windowed. Tried with vsync on/off. Not working. My specs : 7700K at 4.5GHz, 16Gb RAM, RX 580(8Gb)

11. Aeadiin

Aeadiin Space Hobo

Also having this issue, running Sapphire RX 480 8GB, AMD FX6350 Six Core with 32GB RAM. Please patch this, I love this game and want to enjoy it in fullscreen!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  12. Arckana 00947

Arckana 00947 Space Hobo

when i play "Test Drive" quest i entered the training room and its glitched all the block became black square then i go to main menu the main menu themes also go turns black can anyone help me to fix it?