1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion Going from Steam Multiplayer to Hosted Server Rental

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by xxMachina, Nov 13, 2017.

1. xxMachina

xxMachina Space Hobo

Currently, my three friends and I are using the Steam option to play together. We have to wait for the friend that started the game to log in and he must remain logged in for us to continue playing when he has to do something else. I had brought up the idea of a 3rd Party server hosting so it would always be accessible.

However, my question is if we switch from Steam to the 3rd Party server hosting service, would we lose everything we have done so far together? I'd just like us to be able to play at any time without having to have the player start the game and invite us all. But he isn't open to making a server on his computer.

2. Mirroruniverse

Mirroruniverse Void-Bound Voyager

Normally, you would lose everything, as the server has its own universe folders... BUT, if you obtain server hosting where you can access the files, your friend could upload his universe to the server and then your stuff would be there!
    Easiest way to do it:
    - Install Starbound on the server
    - Have your friend right click Starbound in their Steam library -> click 'Properties' -> click 'Local Files' (tab 3) -> click 'Browse local files' (top button). Inside the Starbound folder is a folder named 'storage' and you need to copy that to the server's Starbound folder.

Floran hopesss you have many good timesss with friendsss! :nuruwink: