Goats...what are they good for?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ladymurasaki, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

Well, how else are you supposed to roleplay as Rolf from Ed, Edd N' Eddy if you can't have a goat named Victor...?

BentFX likes this.
    • lannihamm

lannihamm Pangalactic Porcupine

There's an Automatic Doors mod that'll open and close your barn/coop doors for you, if you wanted to alleviate the burden.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

First day of Spring I open the doors of my barn and coop... don't close them again until last night of Fall. The only problem is those little ducks can be difficult to see in the grass!!

• ladymurasaki

ladymurasaki Star Wrangler

Does anyone know if leaving the heaters inside the barn/coop overheats the animals when it's not Winter? Maybe it shuts off automatically, I dunno. Animals seem fine though. Just wondered if I'm supposed to store them away.

I live in Hawaii, I don't know about heaters.

lannihamm likes this.
          • lannihamm

this is the funniest thing i've seen yet on this forum, lmao

The heaters are definitely necessary for your animals in the winter! They help offset the drop in happiness the animals get from being inside for four weeks. One heater per coop/barn is fine, but I've never seen anything like your animals overheating if you have more than one.

ladymurasaki likes this.
            • Kremit464

Kremit464 Void-Bound Voyager

I always keep the heaters in the coop/barn throughout the year. I don't remove them in spring, summer, or fall and my animals never seem to mind.

• kidkid123

kidkid123 Phantasmal Quasar

2 pigs make me around 5 k a day, and i don't need to do nothing...cows,goats etc. require petting, milking in order to get alot of money...i have a barn full of animals (6 cows, 2 goats,2 sheeps and 2 pigs)..in the future, i will probably sell some of them...right now, i need them, cheese is great for gifts and hp in mines

• ladymurasaki

Okay, thanks for the heater answers. I found duck eggs behind the heater sometimes. Maybe I'll just move them to the other side of the coop. Hunting for eggs is the pits (still haven't won the Egg Festival...yes, I watched the youtubs but I still get lost).

• Reneeisxena

Reneeisxena Big Damn Hero

I find the iridium goat cheese is the best for energy in the mines. Plus they make good spur of the moment gifts if you forgot to get someone a birthday pressy.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

You'll know when the heater is working-- it'll do that little shimmy-dance that most working equipment does. The heater runs automatically in the winter and doesn't require any supervision from you, and does nothing worse in the Summer than taking up a space in the barn/coop. Entertainingly, the heater goes on no matter where you've put it-- I keep one next to my pet's sleeping area so that I don't feel as guilty when they're out in the snow. (This does nothing in game terms-- the dog/cat does not need a heater, I just like to RP the idea to reassure myself.)

• lannihamm

Idk if this'll help you at all, but this is the route I found to work the best for the Egg Hunt (hopefully you can understand the order of the arrows). I can usually get 11 eggs without really trying using this route, and all you need is 9 to win.

Seismothesaurus likes this.
                        • ladymurasaki

Thanks! Will bookmark that for next Spring.

• nevyn21

nevyn21 Cosmic Narwhal

Cows outperform goats in profit since cows produce daily and goats produce every other day. Goat products are not worth 2x cow products. Sheep are the most profitable with Sheperd. Pigs are weird and get lucrative with the Gatherer perk line instead of Rancher.

Barn door opened makes no difference, the only thing that matters is not closing it with an animal outside. You only need one heater in one barn or coop. Additional heaters do nothing.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
                            • Narfkopp

Narfkopp Phantasmal Quasar

I altered the prices of products so that the lowest tier animals no longer outperform the higher tier (with the exception of pigs). That way I can do a goat or sheep farm without wondering why I didn't just take cows. I altered the prices like this: Goat cheese=(cheese x2)+5. Doesn't make them crazy, but at least goats earn slightly more money than cows. I still think that the entire animal aspect needs a balance check.

• kidkid123

cows require more work...the only animals that are not worth, are the rabbits..they don't do nothing:wut:..and they cost alot of money.

• Ltfightr

Ltfightr Subatomic Cosmonaut

The animal that I don't see much use for is sheep. Rabbits give you wool also so I just don't see much utility in sheep. For the work involved.

• kidkid123

i have 2 sheeps and 2 rabbits (had 4 rabbits, but i wanted 4 ducks, rabbits are ugly:wut:)..they give me wool every 2 days (full hearts). it's not that much work, considering you go there to milk the cows, might as well sheer the sheeps also.
                                    Rabbits give wool every 4th day or more..idk exactly..i have them full hearts also

• ladymurasaki

Once you get Emily maxed with cloth gifts and you're done with bundles for wool/rabbit's foot, you don't need sheep/rabbits. Once you get everything built and upgraded and stuff, you don't need daily cheese/milk/eggs, except for cooking. I noticed a lot of things are just for completing the story and leveling hearts. Like I hatched a void chicken but got rid of that evile thing after a while. Maybe I'll keep chickens if they're blue. Or just ducks.

Piggys are no maintenance except cutting down the grass so I can find the truffles. Cows are easier than goats (can't remember every other day milking). Maybe I'll go down to one each, except get more pigs.

Farm life is constantly in flux.

• Stryder87

Stryder87 Giant Laser Beams

I hadn't really noticed this before, but when you click to buy a chicken and are on the screen where you tell it where to put it, it tells you the colour of the chicken you're getting at the very top of the screen. If you only want blue ones, just keep cancelling the purchase until you get a blue one. :)

Edit: Of course, you first have to have 8 hearts with Shane and have seen the blue chicken cutscene.
                                        Edit Edit: btw... they don't lay blue eggs, so no chance of raising your own. :(

• ladymurasaki

Ahh ok thanks. Gotta gift that nasty alcoholic bastidge then. Bah. =)

He's like at 4 or 5 hearts actually and not as grouchy now but still do not like. Blue chickens are in my future!