1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community Glitch Ship AI Feedback

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Izzabelle, Jun 19, 2014.

?

Do you like the Glitch Ship AI?

1. No, I really really dislike it

156 vote(s)
    36.4%
  2. No

58 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Yes

47 vote(s)
    11.0%
  4. Yes, I really really like it

121 vote(s)
    28.3%
  5. I am indifferent

46 vote(s)
    10.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

And if the Apex had a Big Brother Gorilla AI, we would not be upset, but if they had a talking palm tree AI, we might be a bit miffed, because it doesn't fit the context. Or if the Florans had a hairy robot who sings karaoke, we would be talking about how that doesn't fit the context. It's all about context. And a dour, serious, serf/royalty based anacronistic robot medieval race with a derpy boob-horse doesn't fit the context.

2. NeoFoxx000

NeoFoxx000 Phantasmal Quasar

I voted "No," but I'm technically "on the fence." As in I'm standing on that thin grey line between the binary.

Based on what I've played on the Nightly, the ships start off in a terrible shape, as if it escaped a warzone. Is the reason why the AI is took the image of a horse because of some major malfunction caused by the damage, which is something I would like (fixing ship fixes the AI, making it become a normal Glitch AI), or is it a horse because shenanigans, which is something I'm not exactly fond of.

Simply put: Context. Context is what I'm looking for. Kinda like how Ubisoft, for the lack of a better phrase, "resolved" the Far Cry 4 incident by proclaiming the pink suit guy is the villain and you're suppose to punch him in the face. (Not the exact words, but it gets the point across)

Mind you that this situation with the Glitch AI is not as severe as Ubisoft's incident, but in my POV the lack of context it what's putting me on the fence. Until the answer of context, I'll be on the fence, but leaning towards the no side of things.

TheNameless and Jeoshua like this.
  3. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Most assets of the game can be switched out. I doubt this will be any different.

==================

I am personally against the Horse Tank Top Ai. I mean I get it is suppose to be a joke. But if you are going to make it a joke make it a parody of another famous robot from literature or cinema.
    • Marvin the Paranoid Android - Hitch-hikers guide to the galaxy
    • GlaDOS - Portal 2
    • Cortana - Halo
    • Bender - Futurama
    • Arnold Swartzenager - Real life
    • Data - Star Trek
    • The Iron Giant - The Iron Giant
    • R2 D2 \ C3PO - Star Wars
    • Maria - Metropolis ( 1972)
    • Crow T. Robot, Gypsy, and Tom Servo - Mystery Science Theatre 3000
    • Gort - The day the earth stood still
    • "The Robot" (B-9 Environmental Control Robot) - Lost in Space

There are tons of great reference material to get inspiration from.
    Please change Glitch

Dargona1018, Lecic, TaoJaz and 3 others like this.
  4. Poppinz

Poppinz Pangalactic Porcupine

yea people have already said this, i agree a horse fits, a horse with boobs and buck teeth? that does not fit

5. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

Who's "we"? I'm sure I speak for a lot of people when I say that not only do I not care what a ship's AI looks like lore-wise because the lore isn't even close to being finish to the minute detail that would encompass the player's talking ship buddy, but talking palm tree and karaoke robot sound sweet as hell.

Tamorr likes this.
  6. It fits more if you think of the AI as the ship itself, so the glitch are crusading through the stars on their mighty ship-steeds.

Edit:
    Totally not against this

7. Jeoshua

JINX!

The | Suit and Izzabelle like this.
  8. Ewok

Ewok Subatomic Cosmonaut

I voted "No" but I would be fine with it if there were some cosmetic changes.

First of all, I do think it fits with lore due to the following reasons:
    • Ships are typically referred to in the feminine form such as "she's a good ship". The boobs make some sense.
    • A horse would be a knight's steed while the ship is a Glitch's steed. Having the ship's AI be a horse makes a lot of sense then.

However, again, I voted "No". I would have completely supported the AI if it had executed the above properly, but I don't feel it did for the following reasons:
    • The horse head itself looks masculine and so juxtaposed with the boobs it looks rather strange.
    • The horse head bears way too strong of a resemblance to a certain meme. This takes away from it being your steed as the meme is what comes to mind.
    • The boobs look overly sexualized which seems odd for a ship (unless male Glitch plug themselves into the ship if you get what I mean). This is even more odd with the masculine head.
    • Buck teeth is the last thing I think of for an attractive lady and yet it has them. This further makes it resemble the meme as well.

My suggestions to make me vote "Yes":
    • Ditch the bug eyes for something smaller.
    • Ditch the buck teeth.
    • Add eyelashes and lipstick.
    • Bring up the dress a bit and add sleeves. Most medieval dresses were like this!

Basically, if we had gotten what was in GeorgeV's sketches I'd have been A-OK. It looks feminine and does not look like the horse meme. Also has a bit of a medieval flair with the pauldrons.
    [​IMG]

9. Jeoshua

Read between the lines. Context. "We" is those people on this thread who are saying that the AI currently proposed doesn't fit.

10. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

I'm willing to bet some kind of horse will be added to the game as a Glitch mount, and will probably be found around their towns. That's the connection.

11. Fiben Bolger

Fiben Bolger Pangalactic Porcupine

12. Poppinz

the idea of using famous robots in pop culture would even be better, maybe change them up a bit to look like the glitch, idk

Jeoshua likes this.
  13. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

Yet.

Fiben Bolger and Skarn like this.
  14. Poppinz

the glitch do have horse mounts, only they actually look like horses and are robots... a horse ai that actually looked like a horse would be fine

15. Jeoshua

There already is a Glitch horse. A robotic one, ridden by robotic knights. Not an anthropomorphic lady horse.

16. UnsubRedun

UnsubRedun Plebeian

There's that word you like to use, "Context". The context of what you said, in your own words, only applies to people who are already against this idea, while the post itself is referring to a broader audience that you assume will not tolerate this horrible silliness in regards to their sad robots.

Fiben Bolger likes this.
  17. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Fiben Bolger likes this.
  18. I'm sorry Poopinz, thats probably not going to happen at all, copyrights and all that.

19. Poppinz

oh wow i didnt see these.. hm uh... that one actually isn't much better for me, just, the horse having boobs doesn't make sense.... if there was just a regular boobless horse that talked? or a robot horse like the mounts the glitch have? that would make sense to me...

oh yea so the glitch dont even have genders or sexes, them having boobs is just because of the real world armor thing, so why would the ai have boobs in the first place?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.